mammogram too soon after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

mammogram too soon after hysterectomy? mammogram too soon after hysterectomy?

Unread 12-31-2007, 01:06 PM
mammogram too soon after hysterectomy?

Hello sisters, I was reading in the post op support section that mammos should not be done until 4 weeks after surgery. My mammo is scheduled for 3 weeks after surgery should I cancel? and why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 02:20 PM

alafaday

I'm not aware of any medical reasons for delaying a mammogram for 4 weeks, but that doesn't mean to say there aren't any! Maybe you could give the doctor/clinic a call and find out for sure?

I can understand, however, that an abdominal incision and/or very sore breasts following surgery could make it a less than attractive idea! To be honest, I don't think I could've gone anywhere near one of those machines, for at least 2 months, as I was just too sore!

If you do find out anything, could you let us know? Take care!

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:53 PM

I agree I wouldnt want to go near one of those machines either!! I did cancel my Mamo for a few months.. Guess it depends on how you feel, I was not taking any chances. I had to wait another 7 months to get a new appointment but hey, it was worth it Im sure.. GOOD LUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 12:53 AM

I was in the same situation & I called to delay my mammo. I was sooo glad I did since I really wasn't feeling much like myself 3 weeks post-op, my abdomen was very tender & I felt vulnerable. I went 8 weeks after surgery & that was just right for me.

Good luck...
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:30 AM

As my user name depicts, I am a mammography technologist and have been so for 17 years. . If you are feeling well, there should no medical reason to delay your mammogram, unless you are having a problem with one or both breasts. The mammogram pictures themselves should look no different if you go at 3 weeks post-op or 4,5, or 6 weeks. Just be aware that like Presouz, you may have to wait a while before the next appointment time available.
Good luck in your recovery.

TVH w/posterior repair 11/14/2007
Unread 01-02-2008, 04:51 PM

thank you ladies for your input. I don"t usually have to wait a long time if I reschedule. I think I will keep the Appt. if I am a little less tender the night before. I may also call surgeon or my GP
Unread 01-02-2008, 05:11 PM

Just please don't forget getting that mammogram. I had a diagnosis of early breast cancer, which was found by mammogram. I didn't think I was at risk for breast cancer since I nursed 2 children, never had lumpy breasts and no family history. I hadn't bothered to have a mammogram for the last 4 years, thinking it was a waste of time. It was really the enlarged uterus due to fibroids and my doctor's recommendation of a hysterectomy and hrt that sent me to the mammogram center.
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Hi alafaday There should be no 'medical' reason why you can't have your mammogram, but it would depend on how your lap incisions are healing. [My understanding from your prior posts is that you had a TLH, but you might want to update your profile or include that in your signature so it's a little easier for us to tell for sure. ] You wouldn't want to pull too hard at your incisions if they're still quite painful, but if they feel pretty good, then I'd say go for it.

I once had to have a mammogram at four weeks post lumpectomy on that breast, and I survived (though it was very painful indeed ). I would not recommend that, and ended up 'firing' the DR who ordered it because it was symptomatic of her uncaring attitude towards her patients in general. I mention that only to say that having the mammogram is important, and you can get through it if you have to; but if you feel it would hurt too much, you can reschedule - listen to your body on that.

Hope it comes out "all clear" for you!

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM

thank you for the advice surfer. I went on and had the mammo. It wasn"t bad. I am now waiting for the results which they will send me and my dr. BE WELL
Unread 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Glad you went on with the mammogram. Hopefully you will have good results and one more thing to be done with - at least for a year...
Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register