why so many hysterectomies? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

why so many hysterectomies? why so many hysterectomies?

Unread 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
why so many hysterectomies?

I've wondered why there are so many hyster. being done and at all ages. Is it possible birth control pills are responsible? I took them for about 20 yrs straight minus time for two births.
I am trying to figure if there is a common thread among us all. I never took an fertility treatments, so I want to blame mine on the pills.
Do any of you think there is a connection? If so we could have a bigger case for DoWeCheatThemAndHow than the tobacco people couldn't we? After all those smokers were warned repeatly and look at all the money they still got!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 03:23 PM

hi Kasey,
I never took the pill. My problem was extreme bleeding and pain during my period every 3 weeks. I had large fibroids too.
Unread 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM

I never took pills either. I had fibroids and as it turned out endometrial cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 03:43 PM

I never took the pill but did have fertility treatment. I had mine for severe anemia due to heavy periods and fibroids.
Unread 12-31-2007, 04:34 PM

I never took the pill either....and I'm 33 - so i don't think there is any connection.
Unread 12-31-2007, 04:48 PM

I had mine for endometriosis and I did take the pill. But I don't think that is what led to the problem. My younger sister also had a hysterectomy for endo but she didn't take the pill because of blood clots. My oldest sister also had a hysterectomy, but I don't know whether she ever took the pill or not.
Unread 12-31-2007, 04:54 PM

I took the pill years ago but mine was due to a prolapse bladder. Dr routinely does a hyst with bladder slings to avoid future problems with sling if hyst is needed. He took everything due to family history of Uterine cancer and ovarian cysts.
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM

Took the pill like 30-something years ago and not for an extended period of time. BUT, something that has been in the back of my mind...I didn't develop fibroids until I got an IUD.
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:43 PM

I never took the pill and had to have hyst due to very large fibroids. I also had a lumpectomy for breast cancer in Aug, tumour found via mammogram. I took a saliva hormone test and found out that I had high estrogen and low progesterone levels - I'm 49 and am pre-menopausal. I'm thinking estrogen dominance may be a factor but I've yet to read any comprehensive studies. No doctor has ever looked at my hormone levels; I took the saliva test on my own dime.
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM

I took the pill for about 2 years but that was 15 years ago. I had large fibroids and pre-cancerous cells.

I feel that you may think that there are a lot of hysterectomies is because you are more in tune with it since you have had one. You are focusing on it. I felt the same way when I was pregnant. All I saw were pregnant women and children....I was in the same situation with them. Now, don't laugh...but I also noticed more of the same cars as mine after I bought a new car that I didn't notice before. And now I am in more focus with women who have had, or will be having a hysterectomy. So, I think it may be that you are in the situation and that you are focusing on it more.

Could there be more than in past years....could be....but I have talked to several women that had a hysterectomy 20-30 years ago.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register