A rather embarassing question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A rather embarassing question A rather embarassing question

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM
A rather embarassing question

I am embarassed to ask this and I should probably ask my Dr but if I can get some info here (as usual!) it will save me from bugging my Dr again.

My Dr gave me some instructions for sex about a position to use so that I have more control over it and my DH doesnt get over excited and push to hard.

How long is it before you can go back to "regular" activity?

I had a TAH/BSO on the 12th. I hope my question makes sense I didnt want to get to explicit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:53 AM

I had my tah/bso on Dec 6th. i'm not cleared for anything at all yet.

I'm sure if he told you about the position in the first place you can ask him again for an explanation and ask how long before you can go back to "normal" activities.

Gosh... you ARE brave! I'll have to say..
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:47 PM

I had my surgery on Nov 14th and just had my 6wk check up yesterday. I was cleared for everything including sex. I don't know what position you are talking about and remember this is hystersisters where you can ask anything and probably get the answers!!! I felt pretty good about asking my ob/gyn about personal lubricant ect. and she is very straight with me in her answers. Are you hesitant because your doctor is a man? As far as "bugging" your doctor if you don't ask you won't know! Our opinions and advice do not replace good sound medical information. I do believe asking alot of good questions makes alot of good sense. We just got back to being intimate again last night and I felt nervous, scared, and cautious. My husband was very gentle and thoughtful of the fact that I am still in the process of healing and went very gently. It was really nice to be close again! I hope dear sister that you get the answers that you need. My best wishes to you for a wonderful recovery and new you!

Bobbie in Idaho
TVH, anterior repairs w/TOT bladder sling, kept the O's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 06:12 PM

It was 7 weeks when I got full clearance. My doc didn't say anything about particular positions, but she answered all of my questions. Some of my questions didn't have specific answers, so I appreciated it, even when she said that she didn't know. I was surprised with I don't know, though.

I asked if I was physically capable of natural lubrication since I don't have my ovaries. She said that she didn't know, but it was best to have some KY jelly. I got some and it's still in the drawer. I haven't needed any KY jelly, at all. I had some dryness issues before surgery.

I searched and searched to read about what actually causes lubrication, physically/anatomically. I finally read something about some glands within the vagina which actually release the wetness. I've read that some estogen may be stored after the hyst, but that goes away about the time of clearance on restrictions. I think this is a fascinating female function. Don't the ovaries/estrogen make this happen?

I asked if my orgasms would be the same. She said that some women have differences after childbirth at first, but there was no exact answer for this question. My orgasms have been similar, but maybe some different.

Before surgery, my orgasm would vary some from time to time. Sometimes they are bigger than other times.

Sex has been great! My DH just stops something if it bothers me. I've really been surprised at how well all works.

One unexpected thing was my extreme tears for the first several times. These were tears of joy or maybe just purely from being so estatic. Prior to surgery, our last sexual experience was with cancer. I had a D&C 2 wks before surgery, so I was on pelvic rest for about 9 weeks.

I'm glad we waited the entire time without outer play. I think it was good for our relationship. Oddly enough, just touching my leg during recovery was stimulating.

happy new year. Yes, hystersister is open for all discussions, in my experience.
Unread 01-01-2008, 06:23 PM

We have a Post Op Sex Checkpoints that you might find helpful.

Our doctors give each of us different instructions regarding returning to intimacy after our hysterectomies. It is best to check with your doctor to find out specifically when it is okay for you to have intercourse again and if a specific position would be best -- usually being on top allows you more control and this is probably what your doctor was suggesting. I was not cleared for any kind of intimacy/intercourse/outercourse for three months due to complications and healing issues and my doctor examined me before given me the go ahead.

So be safe, call your doctor and ask what is okay for you!

And yes (((sisters))), HysterSisters is a place to ask and receive support for all aspects of your hysterectomy from pre op to post op. We do ask that the posts fall within PG guidelines and remain mature, but if you have a question, more than likely it has been asked before and will be asked again so there is no need to feel embarrassed!
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Actually this is a very good question and since I'm not one to discuss this stuff with my dr. (too embarrassed) I would have to ask here. So thanks for asking it, some of us chickens would like to know this stuff. And speaking of positions.....what about spooning (facing the same direction), wouldn't that be a position that might be less....invasive?

I'm 6 wks next week and very nervous about this. DH is walking around with a sparkle in his eye and a finger on the calendar. Bless his heart, I'm just petrified.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register