Pre-op preparation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op preparation Pre-op preparation

Unread 01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Pre-op preparation

What meds other than pain killers would be handy to have on my nightstand for when I come home??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Pre-op preparation

You need to check with your doctor but some thing for gas, llike gas-X and perhaps a stool softener and/or laxative may be helpful. Again, do check with your MD first. These things were helpful to me after my TAHBSO on 12/21. I was supposed to have a LSH. Its good to be prepared. I also had some cough drops, hand cream and lip balm or vaseline. Good luck and don't forget to post your progress. - Suzyq
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Pre-op preparation

Checking with your dr is a good idea. I was given a list of what I could & could not take for before & after my hyst. Checking is the safest thing to do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Pre-op preparation

I was told to not take any products containing asprin, including advil for the week before surgery. So for that reason, it would be good to have tylenol on hand. I had a headache or two before the surgery. It was nice to be able to take something.

You also need stool softener. The generic brand works fine.

You may like to have advil as an alternative to prescription painkillers, when you are feeling alittle bit better. Hopefully, you will not need the heavy stuff for too long.
It was nice to have chapstick also.

You should check with your doctor. The above is based only on my own recent LAVH.

Best wishes!!!

Sharon
Unread 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Pre-op preparation

I agree with the Gas X.. I use the thin strips and they seem to help. I also kept tylenol by my bedstand for my headache. The best medicine to keep handy is WATER!!!! Lots of nice ice water is great.. i drank it by the gallons it seemed.
Oh and now I am fighting a terrible cold, so since it is the season, you might keep some cold meds handy. I even was very careful about who and what i came in contact with, but here I am sicker than a dog! Luckily I am a month out now so its not too bad.
Good luck with your surgery and see you on the post op forums!
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Pre-op preparation

Just went past my 6th week post-op. Definitely no aspirin type pain killers.
I remember how dry my lips were after the surgery so a good chapstick.
Lots and lots of water.
I bought the swellybelly to help with swelling, but a nice ice pack will help if you have an incision.
Gas X a must.

Good luck. Just remember, listen to you doctor when he says no activity. Pamper yourself and you will do fine.
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Pre-op preparation

I'd add: something to help you sleep. If you are sleeping a lot during the day, you might find yourself awake at odd times at night. Also, cough drops would be good to have on hand...coughing was not fun.
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Pre-op preparation

one more thing to add...heat helped with gas and just made my belly feel good. I bought the extra large hot packs the ones you would wrap on your back, and just placed it on my belly and it was comfy and helped...just be sure to ask you MD about the heat and where your incision is. I had an abdominal incision so it was fine on my belly without actually having it on top of the incision. It won't take you long to figure out what works for you. Just be kind to yourself and take it slow.... - Suzyq
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Pre-op preparation

SuzyQ,

Why did your LSH change to an adominal?

Oh, I am stressing about mine changing.

Getting nervous, ladies. One week from today. AND, I have my last period, AND I knew I couldn't take Excedrine (which I am addicted to at period time) for my awful headache, so I've been taking ADVIL and I just read that it's a no-no. UGH. Advil barely touches this headache anyway, so no more of it, tylenol won't either, I don't think. Oh, the suffering from these period head aches is the worst.

I'm going to have to tell the doc that I took Advil, I think I'm probably still alright a week out. GRRR.

Peace and Love, Girlies,

Brink
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Pre-op preparation

I had LSH two weeks ago, and the following have been NECESSARY to me, so I keep them on nightstand and end table: Aleve, Tylenol, Gas X strips, bottled water, and Burt's Bees lip balm. For the first several days, I also kept my Lortab and Phenergan close--needed both. Try to have someone set up your nightstand, etc. for you so that you're not reaching for things and having to get up and down too much. My DH always made sure I had home phone, cell phone, iPod, remote controls, and belly pillow with me.

Don't worry too much! I believe strongly in the power of positive thinking--I had LSH with very few complications (one incision had to be widened to about 2 1/2 inches, so not bad) two weeks ago, and I'm back at work today and making it thus far! You'll do great, and you'll feel oh-so-much better afterwards!

MJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register