how long until you return to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long until you return to work? how long until you return to work?

Unread 01-01-2008, 03:09 PM
how long until you return to work?

I was just wondering how long everyone is taking off of work, if you work, for your recovery.

I had tah/bso I'm going back 5weeks post op, and my work wants me to come earlier for two days.
My surgeon said "No"

So i was just seeing if I'm being reasonable, or a wimp.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 03:18 PM

I sure don't think you're being a wimp. I was released for work on the day of my 6th week post-op. If I could do it over, I'd have taken 8 weeks off. I'm doing okay, but my job is very physical. I had bladder repair done too and it's been bothering me since I went back. Nothing too concerning, just achy off and on.
Someone here has a tag line that says we only have one chance to heal right. I so agree. Each of us is different and will heal at different rates. You're smart to listen to your body
Unread 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM

My doc suggested 6-8 weeks. I am going back tomorrow, just shy of 8 weeks. Your not a wimp and everyone's body is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Personally, I'd follow your dr's advice - you only get a chance to heal properly once and you need to take advantage of that. If you feel up to it and your job is not physical - you might ask Dr. about going in half days for those 2 days. You could at least ask "why" s/he said "No" - there is probable cause for the answer!

I had a TVH w/ repairs and I work at home (family daycare provider) - so I was here, but had substitutes working for me. I could do a few things but then when i needed - could go take a nap or rest, etc. I am now 6 months post-op and doing fine from my hyster.

in there, the time will past quicker than you think!

Unread 01-01-2008, 03:50 PM

I am to wait at least 5 weeks because of the surgery and I have a spinal cord injury that''s causing complications.
I feel good, most of the time, but I am not going in any earlier than my doc's orders. I feel that it is unfair that my work would even ask such a thing. My original note states Jan14th return to work, and as long as I continue to heal, that's when I will attempt to go back.

Work! If only I could hit the lottery
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM

I don't think you're being a wimp. I don't know what your job entails but my doctor told me that I would be very tired if I went back even at 5 weeks. I'm going to try to go back at 5 weeks but we'll see how I feel. I agree..take the time and heal correctly. This is one time you have the perfect excuse so take it if you can.
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Listen to your doctor - my GP said take the full 8 weeks, my principal supported it, so I'm doing as I'm told. I go back into the classroom Jan. 14 - and even then my wonderful principal said to see how that goes.

There are no wimps here! Take care of yourself!

Tracy
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:10 PM

I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to discuss whether I can return for a couple of hours a day, now that I'm 4 weeks post-op. However, she told me going in, any spotting and she's going to say no - and everytime I wipe, there's that tell-tale brown or pink.

Other than that, I'm going in anyway for an hour tomorrow just to cover the 1st of the month invoicing - most of which is automated. I just have to of our clients to process and then I'm out of there.

I don't like it, but no one else is trained to handle it.
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:16 PM

When I first discussed surgery with my doctor, he told me I could return to work after two weeks, Dec 26. When I received my paperwork for work the return to work date was January 28th. Needless to say after surgery I pushed my return to work date to tomorrow, Jan 2nd. I am now having second thoughts. I am still alot more tired than I thought I would be. But I have a good boss. She has totally left it up to me. I am thinking of trying 1/2 days.
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM

I went back at 7 weeks and was REALLY glad I waited, even though my paid time off had already run out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register