how long until you return to work? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long until you return to work? how long until you return to work?

Unread 01-02-2008, 10:04 AM
how long until you return to work?

I had TAH/BSO 11/21. I am going back Mon 1/7, 6 weeks & 5 days after surgery.

I am glad to go because I am bored to death but I am worried because I work in a retail store covering 5 departments. I do alot of running and alot of stocking. You would think because it is clothing & jewelry it would be light, but it isn't. I do however work with some great people who say they miss me very much so hopefully if I have problems they will help.

But one thing I want to say is you can't take it back. Once you've over done it you can't undo it. Be really careful and don't jump into anything your not really ready for. Listen (and talk) to your doctor. Discuss your concerns, tell her what you do at work & listen to what she says.

Good Luck. I hope it all goes well for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:15 AM

I had my TAH/SBO on December 2. I am not returning to work until February 4. I told my work this before I left. And I asked my gyn to fill out my insurance forms this way. My work can at times involve some heavy lifting and after reading here that people have experienced bleeding after 3 months from lifting, I decided not to take chances. It has been four weeks and i can still feel I am healing internally. It is true that you only get one chance to heal. I want to be as healthy as I can be. Even after I return to work it will be for light duty for abit.

Good luck to you all. This website is awesome. It has helped me a great deal.

Regards,

Paulette
TAH/SBO Dec 3, Adendomyosis. Age: 49
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM

I have had off the last 3 weeks. I am able to work at home, I keep wanting to do some work, but then I get tired and end up on this site...lol...I am going to try half days next week on the computer when the kids go back to school. I think I have a bit of lack of motivation, though. My boss is great as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM

I think I ended up making my boss upset because I couldn't come in for a few days but my commute to work is not an easy one.

Before I left the hospital my doc said that if I go back to work early that people just won't get it and that they will see me as fine when I need to relax.

He said that it's the most unsympathectic surgeries because no one can see that you are hurting and need to take it easy.

He was right in my case I saw that before I even walked out the door, so I didn't.

The doc also said that he could write a note if I needed for my job so that could be an idea for anyone that needs it.
Unread 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM

I went back after four weeks to an office job at 1/2 days and it was way too soon. I should have taken longer to heal. I was just so tired I wound up taking about another 1/2 week off after the first week back because I just "hit a wall" so to speak. Everyone is right that you heal at your own pace and to do what is right for you. If I had to do it over again I would have taken at least 6 weeks off.
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:11 PM
4 1/2 weeks return to work???

I just had a TAH on Dec. 27th. I was thinking of returning to work at 4 1/2 weeks, but I don't know if I'll be able to do my job. My Dr. said before surgery "maybe" only if I was sitting. Problem is, I'm a teacher/librarian. So I would have to be lifting books, bending, stupping and crawling on the floor to put them away---shelves are low because I work for an Elementary and Middle school. Anyone else out there a librarian??? My husband wants me to wait the full 6 weeks even though it means I'll have to go without pay for 2 weeks. He says my totally recovery is more important.
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:31 PM

your hubby is correct. I'm not in your field, but i didn't want to do those duties, at 4.5 weeks.
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:34 PM

I had tah on July 30th and went back to work after 6 weeks. Personally I think it should have been atleast 8 weeks. The first week I came home each day and had to lay down.
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:04 PM

I'll be going back to work 3 weeks post-op (TAH 12/17). I'll be working shorter hours and have a pretty stress-free desk job. My recovery has been superfast (walking 3.5 miles already) and feel pretty darn good, considering. I haven't spotted at all. I will admit that I'm a contract worker working a short term job (over in April) and don't have any disability and need the money; that provides incentive.
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:20 AM

Jpel, with a job like yours I would wait the 6 weeks and then slowly go back in if you feel like it. I know with my recovery being as good as it has been I still get worn out just doing the light things around the house.

Don't want to scare you but some of the post replies I have seen about women doing too much and having to go back in for repairs is just scary.

Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register