how long until you return to work? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long until you return to work? how long until you return to work?

Unread 01-03-2008, 06:06 AM
how long until you return to work?

I would say wait at least 6 weeks. You only get one chance to heal. My husband and I think that although you look and feel healed outside, inside with the possibility of over a hundred stitches, to take a chance and damage that healing process you could just create more scar tissue. Also I have read where ladies need to go back and get repair surgery. My biggest concern was allowing my bladder to also recover after the TAH because I understand it has to be moved out to remove the uterus and ovaries.

We get one chance to heal. Everyone does not say 6 week for nothing. I am taking 8. Good luck. Good healing. God Bless.

Paulette, TAH SBO, Dec 3 2007 for adenomyosis, age 49
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 06:54 AM

doc is hopeing to let me go back @ the end of this month (Jan. 2008) but he is now saying we will have to wait and see b/c bleeding will not stop. The plan was and still is until other wise noted 6 weeks. Go bk to doc on Jan. 31, 2008 we will see what he has to say.
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:20 AM

I just back from a visit to my school ( I am a paraprofessional). My doctor had released me for 1/2 days next week but, my county will not allow any restrictions on my return to work. So, I am off next week. I feel kinda bad, but my principal is a sweetie and said I had to do what is best for me. I am going to err on the side of the extra time. I know that once I am back, I will have to be in full swing. I am on my feet constantly and have PE with special needs children. I am going to try to walk more this week to start building back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
thanks for info on returning to work

Thanks for all the info on returning to work! Even today, which is only 9 days out since my surgery, I am feeling A LOT better. I actually have work out clothes on instead of pj's and blow dried my hair and put on make up. Needless to say, now I am a little tired, but I sure am starting to feel like my old self again. I also stopped taking the Percocet as I was having trouble sleeping, and having nightmares!!!!
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM

I saw the doctor today and she released me to work 1/21- which is just over 4 weeks post-op. I am tired, but otherwise feel really good. I think I could go back before then ( I just walk around and sit at a desk), but she said no and I decide she knows best. Let you know how it goes.
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:08 AM

I was extraordinarily lucky in that my jobs as a college writing tutor and English teacher enabled me to take 4 months off. I simply took most of the fall semester and made plans to come back at the start of the spring semester, which is January 20th. I can't imagine having gone back to work at the 6 week mark. I was healed fairly well by that point but still got terribly tired and emotionally worn out easily. Although my job isn't physical, having to use my brain all the time to see things other people can't can be pretty exhausting (I'm sure all the teachers know that!) and I think I would have struggled even at 8 weeks. Now I'm fully confident that I'll be able to tutor again and give my clients the help they need. The only problem may be having had too much time off...this not working thing is pretty groovy!
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:11 AM
when to go back to work

My Aunt just emailed me with something to really think about. She said that she went back at 5 weeks, but with the first 2 weeks being back at only 1/2 days. I think that sounds like a good way too go. I'm just still REALLY worried about carrying or pushing all the books and then the constant bending and crawling on the floor to put them all away. I'll have to get some Middle school kids to help me, but it's so hard to delegate!!!
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:45 AM

I am 5 1/2 weeks postop and just put off my full return to work (scheduled for Monday, just under 6 weeks post-op). I'll go back part-time for the next two weeks. I've been blessed with a supportive and hard-working DH. I don't have any children to take care of. Despite those advantages, my stamina and pain control aren't to where they need to be for a full 40 hour week. We all know that if we try to work "just a little" we end up getting dragged into way too much.

Like you, I worried about being a "wimp." My doctor reassured me that the recovery period is 8 weeks. Even though "some" people recover faster, the standard period is 8 weeks- and you only have one chance to lay the foundation for full recovery.

If I had this to do over, I wouldn't have caved to the pressure of a 5 1/2 week return to work and taken the appropriate 8 weeks.

You are a strong and wonderful woman- and you deserve to heal!
Unread 01-14-2008, 04:45 PM

Just got off the phone with doc office and he said I can go back to work next week.
I tell you I've been going crazy in this house.
Unread 01-14-2008, 06:05 PM

I am 18 days Post-Op and I'm beginning to wonder if I will be able to go back in 2 more weeks. I really don't have much brain power right now, and I carried a gallon of milk through a small store the other day and I've been crampy and tired ever since. I thought about going back 1/2 days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register