Got bikini cut, still tender after 3wks. Is this normal for this week? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got bikini cut, still tender after 3wks. Is this normal for this week? Got bikini cut, still tender after 3wks. Is this normal for this week?

Unread 01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Got bikini cut, still tender after 3wks. Is this normal for this week?

Mollief,

Did you have a TAH? My doc said that, if you had this as I did, there is a bikini cut externally across the bottem, and then one under the skin that goes from the cut all the way up the center to just below the navel. They do this so they don't have to cut the stomach muscle. I was told to expect to feel swelly/bad again between weeks 3-6 as the internal stiches dissolve, creating inflammation. I was told to expect swelling, nausea, feeling tired, no energy, etc. Not good news!

I know gals, I am so sick of this whole thing, it wears one down emotionally. I got the blues about it last night. The doc said that, due to my hematoma and because I am thin, I had a rougher time than most. I try not to compare myself with others, but I feel like I am going so slow. Mine was on December 11th, and a lot of people are back at work already. Even my mom's doctor commented that I seem to be going "slow."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM

jgtalk - just remind yourself that this is not a race - slow is not a bad thing!! - and try (emphasis on TRY) not to let others' comments (or recoveries) get you down.
I am 7 1/2 weeks post-op and will go back to work next week, but only 1/2time - had hoped for full but the body has other ideas and right now it's the boss!
Tracy
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtalk
My doc said that, if you had this as I did, there is a bikini cut externally across the bottom, and then one under the skin that goes from the cut all the way up the center to just below the navel. They do this so they don't have to cut the stomach muscle. I was told to expect to feel swelly/bad again between weeks 3-6 as the internal stitches dissolve, creating inflammation. I was told to expect swelling, nausea, feeling tired, no energy, etc. Not good news!
Wow. I didn't know this. That would explain a lot of why I had pains near my navel --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:03 AM

I didn't know that either. I don't like it but I guess that doesn't matter - just add it to the list of things I don't like at the moment.

So is this what creates the internal burning sensation? Or is the stitches dissolving?
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM

I'm not sure about the burning. Did you all get a copy of your surgical report? That helped me. I asked my doc for it, and asked him to explain exactly what he did and how. He told me how he sewed things up, etc. But, I guess that is because I am a biologist, so I bugged him for the details out of my natural curiosity.

I had staples across my incision externally, and then internally, I was sewed across and up (like and inverted T) with heavy duty suture material. They tied on both ends of the T, so that's why it hurts and tugs at the ends.
My doc said that at this stage, it will feel harder by the incision, and it's a healing "ridge", so that's why it feels like a cord under there or something. This will go away in time and flatten out, so I am told.

We are going through the swellies again because it is inflammation caused by healing and the body's reaction to the sutures dissolving. The body is just doing it's job, and that's a good sign, as uncomfortable as it may be. I was told during this time to expect the nauesa, etc, because the bowels and bladder are close by to this inflammation, and they act up as well by their shear proximity. Iwas told to expect to have another hurdle to overcome at this time (3-6 weeks). That's why it is really important RIGHT NOW, not to lift too much, as those tender tissues are just "getting used" to holding things up where they have healed.

So take it slow and safe NOW girls, and the dividends will pay off later!
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:55 PM

Thank you for the info jgtalk - I really appreciate it. It is great that your dr took the time to explain everything to you. I think my Dr operates on a "need to know" basis - if I ask she'll tell otherwise it is only the basic stuff.But my post-op appt is tomorrow and I'm writing down a whole bunch of questions!
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Hi "Sisters",
I see that all of you have had your surgeries in Nov and/or Dec. I had mine in May/07. There are many layers your doctor's had to cut in to. You may find that the area will be tender for months. The outer layer will heal faster as it is exposed to air. As said, I am almost 8 months out and am still very very tender. No tight jeans for me anymore. Believe it when you read that it will take a year to recover. I am still waiting lol.

Just take it slow, let your bodies heal and I really mean let your bodies heal. you will have your up days and your down days, as long as you listen to your body you should recover faster. If your body is telling you to rest than do just that. If your body says ouch don't or stop, than don't continue to do what your doing. I have learned the hard way. SO PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Please write down all your questions and the answers and ask for copies of reports. Wish I had. I forgot everything when she finally came in the room.
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:26 AM

jgtalk: Yes, I had TAH plus lots of colon repair...
my postop is today...guess we'll see how it goes. I'm nervous.

I'm also sad to hear about all that we still face...a friend who has been through this told me to be ready for a full year of recovery...hearing that pre-op and living it post-op are very different things!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register