Constipation ~ help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation ~ help! Constipation ~ help!

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM
3-6 day spent vomiting-7-11 felt better-12-14-miserable constipation..help!

Hello Ladies,
When does it end? It seems like right when I turn a corner something else comes up...please help.
Brief Synopsis:
Day 1-3-not the best. I experienced extreme nauseousness in addition to pain. I could have taken either one by itself but but both was just plain dreadful.
Day 4-7-worst. Stomach spasms, constant throwing up...even the pain meds. Dr stated some people react to percocet-changed to tylenol #3 and also gave me anti nausea (zofran), also added acid reflux type med (reglan)
Latest issue:.
Constipation that will not quit. I've read this is caused by the pain meds, so I have ceased taking them (last 24 hours). So far I have tried hot tea, prune juice, MOM. I have pressure at the rectum but the stool will not pass. Any suggestions? I am so tired. I have also suffered from insomnia for the last 10 days. I had severe acid reflux and hiatal hernia prior to surgery.
Thanks in advance and may God bless you all during your recovery!!

Enlarged uterus (1 lb) large fibroids, heavy menses, uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and one ovary removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Constipation ~ help!

Hi Liv_n_lrn,

Had same surgery as you on same day. Has consipation problems as well. The thing that worked best for me was The Republic of Tea's organic mint firels herb tea. It helps with digestion, bms, and acid reflux. Usually works in about 24 hrs. Stay away from chocolate and caffine for the acid reflux. Drink lots of water. I also have insomnia as well but have not found any help for that, sorry. Good luck and God bless.

Birthday Lady
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Constipation ~ help!

liv_n_lrn- I made sure to drink lots of water, and eat light meals. The pain killers will cause constipation, and you really need to watch diet. Some stool softners help, like Colace,but check with your Dr before using. Zofran doesn't work for me. Compazine, phenergen, and/or reglan work for me. It depends on your Dr and your body. Hosp had me on Dilaudid, then vicodin. Now I'm on nothing. Still have vicodin, but only if absolutely necessary. The hosp had me walking to stimulate the parastalsis(sp?) of the intestines. It helped get them moving.
Look over some of the other msgs, and see what suggestions might work for you. Even if you can't sleep, REST. The last two nights, I've had trouble sleeping through the night. Can't figure out why. Not over doing it, DH won't let me.
Just got back from driving, and I actually felt it in the abdomin. I think the difference was sitting down into my car, and lifting my legs to work the pedals. DH has a van that I would climb into. Much easier, especially with him helping me out.
Take it easy, and call the DR, if you get no relief SOON.
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Constipation ~ help!

Thanks B-day lady and Kathy...
Kathy I have not even put on clothes yet, not to mention driving...good on you!!

B-day lady, please tell me where do you buy that particular tea. I will google it in the meantime.

I have not had any caffeine or spices but for some strange reason I ate 2 chocolate mint kisses...not sure why because I am not even a chocolate lover.
Rhonda
Thanks again...
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Constipation ~ help!

Aww.. you poor thing. I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable.

You're still very early in your recovery, and I promise - things will get better.

I had problems with constipation. Stool softeners, fresh fruit, lots of water, and walking (start slow - just around the house/yard, and increase walks as you feel ready) all helped...

Good luck... !!
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Constipation ~ help!

Hi , I had the same problem. My doctor told me to use Milk of Magnesia. I did but I didn't think that it was working. Started having bad stomach cramping and called the doctor on-call (it was a weekend). He said to use Dulcolax. It made the stomach cramping worse and I developed watery diarrhea. I ended up in the ER dehydrated! Finally, I tried Miralax which my young son takes. It really did the trick. It does not stimulate the bowel so it does not start the cramping and it is non-addicting. It only draws more water into the colon from your body and can be used for an extended period if needed.. I Know how uncomfortable constipation can be.

As for the insomnia...I am still experiencing that myself. As time goes on it does seem to be getting better. Hang in there . I'm learning that patience is the key to all of this but it can make you crazy .

Well, I think that I will and try to go to sleep.

s and Blessings, Lisa
Unread 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Many Thanks...

Thanks a_new_life adn Lisa...I just love this site. I have been thanking God for internet every since I found this site.

Lisa, I had that same bad cramping from MOM (even thought the label claims ( no cramps) .

I took Ducolax yesterday evening-I was able to pass some stool today (yeah). I hope more is to come....

I will try the Mirolax as you suggest if I do not get relief. I like you feel as I am dehydrated.
Thanks again..

God bless,
Rhonda
Unread 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Constipation ~ help!

The Miralax works great and it really helps to drink plenty of water and walking around the house.
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Constipation ~ help!

Oh and one more thing that really made the difference for me was, I eat 1/3 cup of All-Bran Buds every morning. I mix it with yogurt.
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Constipation ~ help!

Thanks lincolnlady
I will begin to eat bran every morning as you suggest. I am willing to try it all because I do not ever want to feel as I did the last 4 days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register