Laparoscopic hysterectomy ~ concerned about returning to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic hysterectomy ~ concerned about returning to work Laparoscopic hysterectomy ~ concerned about returning to work

Unread 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Laparoscopic hysterectomy ~ concerned about returning to work

I had LAVH on Dec. 11 and I am due to return to work on Jan. 7.
I am very concerned about returning one day shy of 4wks of recovery. My DR. thought it would be fine when discussed 2wks ago. My concern is that on Monday I drove about 8 miles (4 each way) with stops along the way, so I was getting in and out of the car. I carried very small items, one no heavier than a gallon of milk. Now I have been having pain where my left ovary is and around my belly button, and have swelling. The pain is not constant and is controlled with Ibuprophen. But now my jeans dont fit again. Has anyone else had this happen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM

frostbite

I'm sorry you're having problems now, just before returning to work.

I hope some other ladies will be along soon to share, but it really would be a good idea to contact your doctor, before returning to work, to get this checked out.

Will you let us know how you get on? Take care!

Unread 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Hello Frostite,

I understand your concern. I had a LAVH and could not imagine going back to work after 4 weeks. I was off work for 6 weeks and experienced some pain like you explained and the doctor made me take an extra week off. I went back to work yesterday and that extra week made a world of difference. If you do not feel ready tell your doctor. My doctor told me that I was healing now for the rest of my life and to not push myself. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2008, 10:04 PM

Frostbite,
What type of work do you do? I am going back the 7th at 5 weeks post-op to teaching. I am a little worried but have promised my doc I will sit down as much as possible and take it easy once I get home in the evenings. I'm planning on getting simple dinners ready for next week and putting on my pjs as soon as I get home each day. Good luck!
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:30 PM

stroutwoman, I also had a LAVH/bso and my doctor told me I would be fine to go back to work at 2 weeks. I'm planning on returning to teaching on the 9th., but you have me worried. I'm thinking my doctor is being a little too optimistic? I still get really tired and am taking pain meds for the pain. I keep hoping the next few days will find me much better.
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:19 PM

fibrobabe,
I hope you are able to return if you need to. Two weeks seems really early from what I've heard from others on this site. Many teachers are waiting 6 to 8 weeks. Everyone is different though. If you don't feel up to it when it is time, please call your doc and tell him you are not ready if you need his okay to take longer off etc.

I have been driving, shopping etc. since 2 weeks post op, but have been resting too. I'm not the kind of person to sit down and relax. I'm usually going, going, going! Just this week I started having some new aches and pains that are from dissolving stitches I think. I hope this is over before Monday.

You might want to read what other teachers are saying on the following thread.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=320841

I don't really know how to copy links well. You can find it in the post op forum and it is titled Post op teachers ...or similar field

Good luck and let me know how you are doing!
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:13 AM

stroutwoman, thanks for the link. Now that I've been reading a little more, I don't think I had the LAVH--I think I had the LSH. It all happened so fast that I didn't get a chance to ask many questions and didn't know the right questions to ask. I went in a week before Christmas and had it done the day after Christmas. It was kind of a rush thing because of the time off from school. I don't even have any idea if I kept my cervix or what! DH said my gyn didn't mention anything about it--just said that everything went very smooth and easy and I was fine. He didn't ask any questions either. I was too out of it when he came to see me the next morning so didn't ask anything then either. I guess I'll know for sure when I go see him on Tue. Now that I found this sight, I have a better idea of questions to ask him.
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:04 PM

I was able to return to work within a week. I took it very easy, but was able to drive in about 4 days PO. I had swelling for about 3 weeks but then was back down into size 2 jeans after that.
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM

I could not imagine going back to work so soon. I had a LAVH on Nov 8th, and today was my first day back to work. I have a desk job, and am swollen, and hurting in my lower stomach right now. I was still bleeding going into my 6th week -- thank goodness it is finally gone.... but also had issues with my hormones--(not being able to sleep, etc) I know that everyone is different, but this really is a major surgery.
I would definetely contact my Dr before heading back so soon.
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:49 PM

Hello Frostbite,

I had the LSH and was given the full 6 weeks to heal per doctor because of my demanding job (a lot of bending, climbing ladders, and heavy lifting). I am back and feeling great. I have found that I sometimes forget that I just had major surgery and bend the wrong way or try to lift something that is a little to heavy. I am tired by the end of my day and a little sore, but over all, I feel like a new woman!! Just take your time you will be just fine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register