How long before long car ride? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before long car ride? How long before long car ride?

Unread 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
How long before long car ride?

My TAH is scheduled and I'm starting to try to plan. My family has a ski house about four hours away from where I live. How long do you think before I can ride in a car that long? It's a pretty big SUV with seats that recline. Once I get there I will be able to rest just as I would here. I just hate to make my family miss a weekend on the slopes to stay home and take care of me. :letsnow:
DH will be around to help me too...he's on crutches. We're quite the pair!
Thanks for any advice or for just sharing your own experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 06:24 PM

Beth, you didn't say how soon after surgery this car ride is. I personally got very nauseous on my way home from the castle, ( a 1 hour ride), but the vehicle was a Toyota pickup 4wd, with a fairly stiff suspension, (made the ride bumpy). If you would be able to recline and shift to one side or the other, I wouldn't think it would be to bad, if it's a few days at least after surgery. Every one of us is different. Just a funny thought here, how will DH ski while he's on crutches? I'm in my 3rd wk out from surgery, so my mind goes down some very strange paths......
Good luck with the surgery, and wishing you, (and your DH), speedy recoveries!

Mary Kay
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM

I went on a 6 hour journey at about 4 weeks post op. I needed to stretch my legs desperatly every 2 hours or so. Even changing positions slightly I couldn't find that comfortable position for long times in the car. But once I got up and walked around a bit, I was able to handle more travel ...

good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Mary Kay,
We can go to the ski house any time. DH won't be skiing, but my children would be. I would think the first weekend post surgery would be off-limits, but had hopes for the next one. If not, my mom has offered to stay here with me so they can all go.

Of course, having Mom here could be a double edged sword. She had her TAH about 20 years ago...same doc! I'm getting bummed that she keeps bringing up all the "bad stuff" about recovery, etc. I'm trying to focus on the positive and how much better I am going to feel!!!!!
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Beth,
I think you could make it a couple weeks after surgery. Just wear comfy clothes, change positions frequently and take something for pain.

Sorry about your mom. You just need to focus on proving her wrong! You are right to think about the positive. A positive attitude goes a long way to help with healing. Good luck!
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks! That is my goal, sort of a New Year's Resolution. I want to look on the bright side of everything!
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:10 PM

My first post-surgery ride was in my husband's car and it was so bumpy! After a 30 minute ride, with a short break in between, I was sore. Each week that passes leave me less uncomfortable with car rides. I do find that using the heated seat in hubby's car really helps!
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Hi Beth'

Okay here it goes...I had a TAH_BSO on the 10th of December... I live 58 miles down a dirt road after we turn off the main street. I WENT HOME ON DAY2, THIS IS MY suggestions to you.

1 Get a pillow with micro mini beads to put over your tummy but under your seat belt. It will really help.

2. Do not take pain med before you go you need to have feeling to tell if all is alright.

3. you will get tired out just rideing for that long, drink a lot of water. if possible get out and walk every hour to hour/half blood clots can form when you sit in one position for too long. the water will help remind you to walk.
drink 2-4 bottles of water an hour when you are in the car.

4. It might be nice to just let them escape to the mtn without you as well, I know I encourage DH to go often just to get him out of me hair...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register