First PET scan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First PET scan First PET scan

Unread 01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
First PET scan

I just returned from a nice relaxing holiday with family and am sceduled to undergo my first PET scan this coming Tuesday, since being diagnosed with cancer 3 months ago.

I am feeling very nervous about the scan. Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:14 PM
First PET scan

Hey, Singa!

Glad you had an enjoyable time with your family! That's great!

The PET scan itself is not bad at all. It is a bit time consuming, though, so however long they told you your test will take, it really will.

It's pretty much painless except for a small needle stick for the IV (nothing like the surgical IV -- much smaller). You'll receive an injection of the radiotracer which will be infused through your system about 45 minutes or so. They'll try to make you as comfy as they can. If they don't give you a warm blanket, ask for one (it's always cool in those radiology areas). In addition to being more comfy, the blankets help keep you warm so your muscles won't shiver which can actually cause an uptake on your exam. Tension can do this too, so try to relax as much as possible. If you're a "power napper," you might actually be able to catch some zzz's.

Then, they'll remove the IV and take you for the scan. The scanner itself is kind of like a CT, but with a longer "donut" which you move in/out of. I think for most gyn cancers, they just do the base of skull to mid-thigh scan which takes about 20-25 min or so (if I remember correctly). If they do the head/brain, that's another 15 min, and the lower legs is about another 15 or so. (Due to my melanoma history, I get the whole body.)

After the test, don't try to read anything into their expressions, reactions, etc. They're really good at poker faces.

Hope this helps! Here's hoping for a PET scan that's a total snooze!! Good luck!

monami
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:34 AM
First PET scan

Hi Singa,

I am also having a pet scan soon -- hopefully next tues. Since this will be my FIFTH pet scan, I feel like I'm an old hand at the process.

Monami gave you a real good synopsis of the process. The whole process does take a long time -- usually half a day for me.

It really is very easy -- even easier than a cat scan (to which it is quite similar) because there is no drinking of the vile contrast. However, any visit to the hospital really amps up the ole' anxiety levels, so I have a small supply of ativan for such occasions. I usually take one milligram for pet scans.

Results seem to take a little longer than cat scans. Also due to my anxiety I am really bad at waiting so I go to a hospital where a radiologist friend arranges for me to get the results next day, whereas with a cat scan I can get them immediately.

I hope your pet scan will have nothing to report. Here's to being cancer-free in 2008 (and beyond)!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:05 PM
First PET scan

Singa,
I send good thoughts for test results being "unremarkable"!!!! (meaning...NOTHING to be found!)
Unread 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
First PET scan

I am so happy to read that you had a nice relaxing holiday.

All the best wishes are being sent your way for a completely normal & uneventful PET scan. It is completely understandable that you are very nervous, but the scan will go quickly, so remember to breathe and try to focus on something else, like the wonderful holiday that you just had with your family. Before you know it, the test will be over.

Please keep us informed.

Unread 01-04-2008, 06:54 AM
First PET scan

I can send no advice, but I can send lots of s! and keep for you!!!
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
First PET scan

Thank you so much for all your support and advice. It makes such a difference.

I am so relieved to read that it is a relatively simple procedure. I am taking my MP3 player and my book as it sounds like it will be quite a lengthy procedure. Oh yes and a jumper and warm socks as the hospital is freezing.

Please put in a little prayer for me on Wednesday as this is when I will go in to find out the results for the PET scan.

I wish that all of you have a very healthy and happy 2008.
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:33 AM
First PET scan

Hi Singa - Good luck and will be thinking of you on Wednesday
Big Hugs 2 u
xxx
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
First PET scan

Warm wishes for you Singa, I've had a PET scan and the worst part is how long you wait. It's also always so easy to imagine the worst. It's not so bad at all! Prayers for a great scan! love Jill
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:57 PM
First PET scan

I don't have any advice for you, but wanted to wish you the best results and hope that you will be relaxed during the scan.
Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register