anyone having cold flashes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone  having cold flashes? anyone having cold flashes?

Unread 01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
anyone having cold flashes?

Instead of having hot flashes.. but cold flashes.. I cannot get warm enough.. but am starting to have night sweats. I just finished up a round of antibiotics for infection in my incision,.but it still looks the same as it did before the antibiotics? and it's still doing the same thing. I am calling the doctor today to see if I can get worked in to have her look at it again. But the cold flashes are driving everyone crazy, as I have the space heaters on high all over the house, even when it's in the high 70s outside, I am freezing. Is anyone else this way or is it just hormones going crazy being ovaries are gone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM

I have had some of the same issues with not being able to get warm enough! Normally, I keep my house fairly cold and my DS complains whenever he visits me. My feet get too warm, so I'm usually barefoot and like to just use a throw blanket when watching tv, reading, etc. But since my surgery (Dec. 4), I found myself turning the heat up and wearing warmer clothes, socks AND slippers, especially the first 3 weeks. Of course at night, I still like to have it colder for sleeping and have had some night sweats. I think it must be the hormones going crazy. I kept my ovaries, and it seems like my temperature regulator may be getting a bit better - so maybe things will even out for me again.

I would definitely mention it to your doctor, since you are talking to her about the infection anyway. Good luck and stay warm!!
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Hi, Tilly! I am having those too! I am cold all day, even when it's been warm out, but night sweats are horrible! I wear a jacket inside the house all the time now. I'm usually the one who is burning up- keep a/c on until the middle of December usually! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Me too.. Does anyone know what causes this ? I was alittle worried that it may be thyroid not working right as I have heard that after hyst some people become hypothyroid. I just did not think that would be an issue this soon. I hope not - I do not need to gain anymore weight.
I also thought that it was because it is so cold outside.Which does not make sense with furnace at same temp or higher than normal.
I am not having night sweats though.

Are any of you on estradiol? Just wondering if that could be the connection..
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Curious that you brought this up....I am usually hot all the time and disrobing. The only time I was every chilled to the bone was within a week of my period I would sometimes get wicked chills. Since my TAHBSO I have been cold more often than hot. I sleep in full PJs, used to just sleep in a skimpy top...I have my space heater on and the house heat. I have a thermometer in m y room and generally if m y room is at 68 I am comfortable. now it reads 71 and I everything on.... and my nose is cold....maybe it is because it is 12 degrees outside....will have to check with the Dr. when I see him next week...boy hormones really do a lot of things huh...
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM

I have "Cold Flashes" too. I read something about they're the backlash from hot flashes. With hot flashes you sweat, and then they wear off, and the perspiration starts to evaporate and causes a cold flash. I barely notice the hot flashes, but all of a sudden I'll be freezing and it takes a good amount of time to get warm again.

I'm having night sweats too, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as freezing all day.
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:30 PM

No night sweats for me (thankfully!) but I am freezing almost all the time now . My surgery was 10/15, and I chalked it up to all that happened. But it still continues, everyone else in the house is flushed and sweaty, and I have long sleeves, jeans, socks, slippers and a sweater on. Also running the heater alot more than I would like, and tell myself whenever I open the utlity bill I just need to add more layers! If anyone asks their doc about this, I would love to hear what they have to say...
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM

I have the same issue. I can freeze during the day (even when lying down with the mattress warmer, fully dressed and 3 blankets, but at night I have hot flashes. No night sweats just extremely hot. Sleep in a nightgown and sheet. Go figure!
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Interesting! I had this problem weeks 3-7. I could not get warm enough. I'd be wearing 2 sweatshirts, a jacket, 2 pairs of socks -- and that was just in the house. I don't even live where it gets cold! My family would be running around in shorts and tank tops. During that time, I never had night sweats. I continued to freeze at night and used extra blankets. I went and saw my internist for blood tests but haven't gotten those results yet. Now suddenly at week 8 it is back to hot flashes during the day and night sweats at night. Gee whiz, isn't there such a thing as being just right?
Unread 01-03-2008, 11:20 PM

I too had this happen but it only lasted a few weeks, I was taking a HOT bath 4 times a day I couldn't get warm!!!! I read as well that a cause could be thyroid not working right but mine checked out last blood test. I did find out my adrenals were running slow and my cortisol was on the low side, staying cold due to it?? Not sure... Maybe its a hormone thing? I am not sure what is worse, taking hot bathes all day or opening up windows when its COLD OUT SIDE!! Its a toss up.. don't like either one!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register