Restless leg syndrome | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Restless leg syndrome Restless leg syndrome

Unread 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Restless leg syndrome

I have never had problems with restless leg syndrome, but since my surgery, exactly 2 weeks ago, I have been going crazy early in the morning trying to sleep. It's unbelievable. The initial pain has taken a back seat but now I have to deal with this. Is it related to my hysterectomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Restless leg syndrome

I used to have restless leg syndrome bad back in the late 90s. Now I usually just have it right before I go to bed (Dr told me to take vitamins). Before the surgery, if I went to bed, it would stop. Since the surgery it's come back and hits me in bed again. Very frustrating.

So far I've just gotten up and taken a swig of Bailey's and that seems to relax my legs enough to fall asleep. If I wake up again, then it comes back and keeps me awake (taking another swig doesn't help).

You might check out multi-vitamins if you're not taking any. It helped me the first time. I think my legs might get over tired with everything going on, and then rebel with the twitching.

Good luck. I'm hoping it lessens as I heal.
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Restless leg syndrome

i have had rls for years but seems to be much worse since the surgery 5wks ago. i havent found anything that helps. i havent talkd to my doctor about though. i did ask my chiropractor and he actually ddnt have anythng to help either. he did say there are good medications for it but they really have no idea what it is from. it drives me crazy..especially when you are exhausted but cant sleep because of your legs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Restless leg syndrome

I had low iron a few years back and it trigured restless legs syndrome for me. With surgery and blood loss this could be a reason. Once i started taking children's chewable with iron twice a day- they went away.

for giggles- dr. gott recommends in his column =a bar of soap in bed near the feet to help it and their is also a new medication out for it. i think it starts with an R.
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Restless leg syndrome

Hi. I struggle with rls too along with fibro. Sometimes it feels like something is crawling all over my legs. I usually take an extra tramadol at bedtime (100mg total) and that seems to calm them down. Plus, if I have too much caffeine during the day and not enough water, that will make them act up.
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Restless leg syndrome

Hello,

I agree with Fit&Ready. I had a sleep evaluation prior to my surgery, and they told me I had episodes of restless leg at night (though I sleep through them for the most part). The docs told me that it can be associated with low levels of blood iron.

Mine subsided a bit, then I had this surgery and it started up again. As soon as I started to take my iron, it went away.

You might want to have your doc run a quick blood test to check your iron and see how it comes out.
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Restless leg syndrome

i never had rls but after my surgery my legs drove me CRAZY!! it took a good couple of months for that to go away. i don't know if it has to do with a nerve that got touched at surgery or what but plenty of sisters complain of the same problem. when it finally did go away it never came back (so far, anyway).

but like i said, i never had rls before and mine went away after i healed up. i guess for me it was just something transitory.

hang in there.
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Restless leg syndrome

My legs have started doing the same thing and it is driving me bonkers. Getting to sleep or just sitting still at my desk is like a major event now. One thing I have read is the Benedryl will make it worse so anyone that takes an OTC sleeping pill will have to deal with that since they use the generic form to make you sleepy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register