35 years old...too young? (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

35 years old...too young? (children mentioned) 35 years old...too young? (children mentioned)

Unread 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
35 years old...too young? (children mentioned)

I have a friend who is 36 and pregnant and here I am nearly a year younger than her with 2 kids (13 and 18) and knocking on the castle door. Is 35 too young? When I have told people of my upcoming surgery, most of their response is 'how old are you - that is awfully young'?

I understand that the decision should not be based on age but discomfort...but I do wonder about the life-long affects this may have.

Has anyone else my age had or may have a hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 07:29 PM

There are many women on this site who are post op that are younger than you. You said it yourself......it is not based on age but medical conditions. You will have great support here and no, you are not too young.
Good luck on the 11th.
C
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM

I am 2 years older than you. I am scheduled for 1/10. I have 4 kids 22, 18, 9 and 7. Crazy I know lol. My mom had hers when she was 34. She said it was best thing she ever did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 07:41 PM

I am only 27 and had my surgery on Dec 31. I decided to have it because I have severe anemia and I decided that this was the best option for me. I have had alot of people tell me I am too young but the thing is I was so tired I couldn't enjoy life or my children (2 yr old twins and a 6 year old). The decision was hard but I need to be able to enjoy my life.
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee37
I am 2 years older than you. I am scheduled for 1/10. I have 4 kids 22, 18, 9 and 7. Crazy I know lol
No, it is not crazy. Being a young mom myself, I fully understand.

What surgery are you having on the 10th? Are you as crazy as me right now? Always questions, always doubt, always feelings of insanity...so not like me.
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM

I am 31 and will probably celebrate my 32nd birthday in bed! I am also waiting for my surgery date after I see the 2nd surgeon that's doing the bladder sling portion of my hyster.

Carcinoma in Situ/Amnoreah/Pelvic and back Pain/Fallen Bladder/Keeping overies/Have to loose cervix.

PS: I have 3 kids ages 4-10-14
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM

I am on 2 yrs older than you and I had my surgery on the Dec. 12th. I agree with the prior posting, there is no age on the procedure anymore, it is based on your medical needs. When you mention hysterectomy to some people they only think that you have to be older to have it done, but just like anything else you need to educate yourself on use resources like this site. There is actually a thread on the ost op board the is titled Age at the time of procedure. It is interesting reading because if you made a pie chart of the responses 60% are under 40.
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

good evening,
i'm still struggling with the idea. I'm 40ish, and i'm scheduled for next month, and i think the closer it gets, the more i want to run to the hills. I have 2 tumors growing on my uterus, my periods are extremely painful, and i bleed excuse my expression like a wounded cow. I hurt every month, and i here that people say it will be the best thing that has ever happened, and you probably should have gotten it done sooner, but i'm still afraid, because i don't know what will happen. I stay cold all the time, i hear so much about hot flashes and people going through depression, and i don't want to be one.
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM

I had my TAH/BSO 3 days after turning 37 and have no regrets. I think it is a matter of the quality of life you want for yourself regardless of what your age-although it has only been 7 weeks, I feel a lot more energetic and I don't feel trapped in my house due to extremely heavy periods due to endo/adeno. As you read the forums on here, you have probably noticed a lot of people about the same age, or even younger-everyone has to do what is best for them.
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:04 PM

HI sweetie,

Well I know how you feel about being to young. I was diagnosed and told I would need the hysterectomy when I was 35 in October, I turned 36 in November and had my TAH on December 28th. I am 6 days into recovery and I am already feeling much better. To be honest I finally feel 36, with all the pain, and fibroids I felt much older than I was. I'm not sure why you are having the surgery but age unforunatley isn't a requirement anymore. It might seem unfair, and rather life altering. That is because it is...but for me it was ( so far ) in a good way. I hope it is the same for you !!

Good luck on your way to the castle, I had the greatest team of doctors and nurses during my stay and I am on the road to living a pain free life...

HUGS
Sable

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register