Will I be ready for DH to go back to work? ( Children Mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I be ready for DH to go back to work? ( Children Mentioned) Will I be ready for DH to go back to work? ( Children Mentioned)

Unread 01-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Will I be ready for DH to go back to work? ( Children Mentioned)

Ok so this surgery has proven to be way different than my previous 2 c-sections with the c-sections I was out shoping the day I got out of the hospital. With this surgery I am in much more pain and am finding myself very uncomfortable. I am taking it very easy, only walking to the bathroom when I need to and going to the living room a couple of times a day for a few min. I have 2 yr old twins and a 6 yr old. The 6 yr old understands whats going on but the twins fight over who is going to stand in front of me because I won't let them in my lap so they stand in front of me for hugs and kisses. So......my hubby goes back to work on the 18th witch puts me just shy of 3 weeks post op and I am really worried that I am still not going to be able to care for my kids and get the oldest to and from school. I don't think that I will be able to hold the twins then but I am not sure about just keeping up with them. I can arrange for my oldest to get a ride to and from school and my friend has told me that I can come over to her house during the day so she can help with the kids untill my hubby gets home but I am just worried that I won't be well enough to even get out for that long. I had a bikini cut and only had my uterus and cervix removed and have internal stiches. I know that everyone is different and every surgery is different but I really didn't expect this kind of recovery. I so wish that I would have found this site before my surgery, I might have tried ablation first even thought I really only wanted one procedure and didn't want to risk a failed ablation. Someone please encourage me I know its all I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2008, 11:46 PM

You are still pretty early in your recovery. Don't stress too much, it does get better. Yes you will be tired, and you never know when that might happen.
Keep up on your pain meds while DH is still there. If your body isn't working on pain management it can work on healing.
Would it be possible for your friend to visit you?
Best advice I can offer would be to take it very easy and allow your body the time it needs to feel better. The first week is the hardest. Just remember to not over do it when you do start to feel better.
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:53 PM

I understand how you feel. Post-op I wondered why I thought surgery was a good idea and didn't try absolutely everything else first (even tho ablation or UFE probably wouldn't have worked in the long run). This really is a one day at a time recovery. Stay in the present. The way you feel today is not how you will feel at week from now. There were days during my first week where I thought I would never feel better. A week later I was amazed how good I felt. And so on. At times it is two steps forward, one step back. But you will feel so much better by the 18th. Take care of yourself, don't overdo it - you will pay for it. Let your husband and others help you and you will recover quicker. I too had 2 c-sections with easy recoveries and thought this would be a snap (wrong - but I'm "old"). This is different. But you will feel better - I remember feeling crummy and all of a sudden feeling so much better like around 7 days post-op. And it got better from there. It will for you too -

Mariah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2008, 12:43 AM

Well my friend is going to come over here if she can but she does daycare in her home and has monthly surprise visits so she said if she has her visit before he goes back to work then she can come over here (with her 3 kids) but if not I have to go there because she needs to be home for the visit. I am just feeling weepy tonight because I am tired and I feel like..........blah I dont know what I feel, I am 27, made a huge decision, wasn't aware of all the hormonal things that could go on after the surgery, I feel like my reason for the surgery wasn't a good enough one after reading some of the problems that people had that led to the surgery. I just feel like I made a decision that I thought would be best because I didn't want to have to deal with multiple Dr visits. Basically I was told that I had anemia almost 10 years ago and as time has gone by it has gotten worse, I was told I had depression about 2 years ago and I finally hit a wall with my meds and felt like they were not working anymore when I went in for my appt to have my meds changed my Dr told me that I was still anemic and that she wanted to do the ablation to slow my periods or stop them all together well I had the mindset that if I am going to make my uterus non-functional then why not have it removed and not have to worry about the ablation not working. Then she called me the next day just about yelling at me and telling me that I was so anemic that if I was to get into a situation and need emergency surgery that I wouldn't make it and then said something about how much do you love your children? basically making me panic. I wanted a sure way to take care of my anemia and I had to have an infusion just so that I could have surgery. The past few months for me have just been an emotional roller coaster and now I feel like I jumped too soon. I am having a hard time seeing the good that will come out of this surgery and now reading all the problems that some people have had after their surgery I am wondering if I am destend to have problems. I know that I will feel better and be happy that I had the surgery later but right now I am having a hard time with it.
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:01 AM

my Dr told me that I was still anemic and that she wanted to do the ablation to slow my periods or stop them all together well I had the mindset that if I am going to make my uterus non-functional then why not have it removed and not have to worry about the ablation not working. Then she called me the next day just about yelling at me and telling me that I was so anemic that if I was to get into a situation and need emergency surgery that I wouldn't make it and then said something about how much do you love your children? basically making me panic. I wanted a sure way to take care of my anemia and I had to have an infusion just so that I could have surgery.

Did your Dr specify what was causing the anemia? I had anemia as well - my Dr said that I was bleeding way too much every month - it seemed normal for me but she told me that what I thought was normal, wasn't. The bottom line is that you have had the surgery. Right now it might not seem like it was the right choice. I felt the same way. Then I wrote down the entire history of what lead me to agree that surgery was the best option. When I read what I wrote, I could see that what I had gone thru was pretty bad. There were other treatment options out there but they probably wouldn't have worked in the long run. From reading things that women have posted here, it sounds like ablation might work for a while but then it stops working. Be kind to yourself. You just had major surgery and it is traumatic. You made the best decision for yourself based on the information you had. Give your recovery time. I didn't expect any hormonal changes happening since I kept my ovaries but the they have definitely been happening. Crying over anything - worrying about everything. But I tell myself it isn't based in reality, all this is being influenced by hormones. Get some rest. You will feel better. Everything will feel better in a few days, it just takes time. Just tell yourself that you are going to let yourself heal, not make any major decisions and trust that things are going to keep getting better day by day. Hugs!

Mariah
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:07 AM

Thanks! I am really tired and I think thats where alot of this is coming from, I just realized its after midnight. Time for more meds too, I just had a coughing attack OUCH! Thanks for the support!

Oh yeah and the anemia was from my extremly heavy periods every month. My Dr told me that I was basically hemoraging each month.
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Oh yeah and the anemia was from my extremly heavy periods every month. My Dr told me that I was basically hemoraging each month.[/quote]

Yep, me too - sucks huh? ! All that is behind us - hooray!

M
Unread 01-06-2008, 05:21 AM

Big hug to you sweetie! It's going to be okay! Right now your body is adjusting and this was a major surgery. I can empathize with the feelings of "should I have done this?"--I just think that as time goes on and our healing continues that we will join the ranks of all our sisters who say-
It was the best thing I ever did Right now it is too early for us to say that! I am at six weeks post op and 42 yrs old. You are super early in your recovery and really need to get as much sleep and drink as much as you can. The kids will be fine (you sound like a wonderful mom). I was off my heavy pain meds by about a week(they seemed to make me feel worse) and driving by about week one. I think we had the same procedure. It really does get better every day. At first you feel good one day, then you overdo it, then you rest for 2 days, etc.
Take care of you!!! And take all the help you can!!

Big Hugs,

Diane
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Lots of hugs to you...and please take it easy.I had heavy periods also(sometimes 3 weeks out of the month).I was in the hospital last april needing 4 pints of blood due to severe anemia.After all the testing My dr. found fibroids(one the size of a canteloupe)lots of cysts and an enlarged uterus. I wasn't able to have surgery at that time. My dr. put me on lupron injections.They stopped my periods allowing me to build up my blood.Even with the side effects of the injections,I was so happy not to have my period.No bad cramps,no heavy bleeding,no need to take a change of clothes to work all the time.After 5 months of shots we scheduled my TAH. I had it on Dec.5th.,and am in my 5th. week of recovery.The first week or so I had some pain...but nothing compared to the pain I suffered every month.It does get better...there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel.My kids are older than yours so I did have that advantage.I am divorced so no hubby around to help.I thank the lord every day for having this done and I am sending lots of prayers your way...hope you get to feeling better soon.
Faith
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Can you afford to pay your friend to keep the 2 yrs olds for a month? DH could drop off on the way to work pick up on way back. I found having the house to myself was the best way to heal. I had a c-section yrs ago, there is no comparison. With C-they cut open the sac take baby stitch up. With TAH they cut open reach in your body and take things out. Everything gets handled no way are they similiar. Take all the time you need.
I am at 8 wks TAH/BSO and I am still having some little issues, so give yourself a break.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register