Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 21 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Ok - here is one of those gross questions......When you have a Bowel movement do you first feel a terrible burning sensation? As far as #1 movement it seems to be set on slow motion. Is this normal? Does it just take a while for things to heal up and stop this stupidity???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Dear Bon ME,
My doc did not tell me too much about what to expect regarding the hot flashes and night sweats... but my regular gyn (not the cancer surgeon) has been most helpful. She said if my symptoms were unbearable--what is that?--then I might be able to go on some kind of estrogen replacement. I'm 52, so I'd have to stop the estrogen at some point...
My prognosis is good. My post-op path report was hyperplasia with atypia. Not cancer, but a precancerous condition. Surgery would still have been the same. Thanks for asking. It's 19 in NJ today! A little warmer than 0!
Unread 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon ME
Ok - here is one of those gross questions......When you have a Bowel movement do you first feel a terrible burning sensation? As far as #1 movement it seems to be set on slow motion. Is this normal? Does it just take a while for things to heal up and stop this stupidity???

Yes, everything is in slow motion and will be for a little while. The anesthesia stays in your system longer than you realize and has a way of making everything slower. You may feel it takes a little longer for your urine stream to begin. Part of that is from the meds and part is from having the catheter. It all improves with time. The more water you drink and walking you can do helps all systems wake up and begin to work more towards normal.

Stay strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM

hi there Bon Me and others

Everything has returned to somewhat normal for me for #1 and #2. Getting off the pain meds helped the slowness of #2. Before then, I dreaded eating anything as I knew that everything was going to be moving along the pipes. It feels better now. Gas-x has helped too, but I am still doubled over once in a while with painful gas. I was out and about today, but I get a little anxious about finding a potty. But the signals of needing to go feel a little "off". For either #1 or #2, I have to be patient.

With the amount of swelling I suppose it will take time. Thank you free0809, for your feedback, since you are a few months ahead of us.

On the Brink - hang in there, we are all here for you. My husband just bought a treadmill, so I want to try to do a bit of walking when he finishes setting it up. Its too cold to walk outside here, but the sun is shining today in Northern Kentucky / Cincinnati area.

kjuncutee - thanks for your feedback too, my condition was very similar to yours, reported as 4/5ths on the way to being cancerous. I have a feeling that my gyn oncologist will shy away from HRT. He never explained what to expect in menopausal symtoms.
Unread 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Kjuncutee: I am happy your prognosis is so good. Seriously, that kind of good news deserves a party. Maybe it would be fun to plan a party with your girlfriends for a few weeks from now when you are feeling better. You could plan something easy like....going to a comedian some evening.....or dinner and a "chick flick". Anything to celebrate life....Well I need to go for now. Have a great rest of the day.
Unread 01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Party

That DEFINITELY deserves a party....

I am planning on having a "coming out" party....complete with bonfire to burn all of those crates of pads and tampax I don't need anymore!

Unread 01-21-2008, 02:48 PM

I saw a lot of questions about the right amount of activity post op. My dr stated no lifting anything bigger than a gallon of milk. No driving for 2 weeks. He stated that walking is the best thing for me. It keeps the circulation going to eliminate blod clots and everyone can set their own pace. He stated stairs ok as tolerated. I personally felt like I ran a marathon the first time I went up the stairs. Each day I keep feeling a little better so I walk a little more. It looks like I am wandering around my house lost but it works. I wish everyone at hystersisters a speedy recovery.
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM
The Activity Question... How Much is Too Much / Too Little?

Well, some of you have done much more than I have! Going out, moving children into colleage, etc... At this point I wouldn't have even contemplated a car ride longer than 1 hour. Is recoverly slower after 50?

Our bedroom is on the third floor, so two weeks after surgery I am going up and down two flights two or three times a day. And I am taking our elderly slow-moving dog out for one or two short - very short - walks each day. I sometimes get a little clammy after moving around and have to crash into my favorite position afterwards - propped lengthwise on the sofa, legs up under a fat pillow. I have not cooked dinner or cleaned up (Luckily since I'm the chief breadwinner in our family, my DH normally does that anyway). After listening to everything everyone else has done, I hope I am doing enough.

My mood is excellent and optimistic. I am on ERT (low dose estrogen only patch) since day 5 after surgery - a low dose patch - and not having any emotional swings or serious hot flashes (I occassionally get a little one). I find the reports on ERT health benefits and risks really confusing, but it sounded to me like the benefits might outweigh the risks - but boy is it hard to figure out which is the latest study.

Mainly I'm just feeling tired, and so soar I don't much feel like moving. Everything pulls, and yes, I think it's those stitches in one particular place on my belly that are really giving me a problem.

Anyway, it is such a help to read about what others are doing! Good luck and best wishes to all of you!
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babay
Hello Hysterscared 35

Just a hello from a fellow Jan. 11, 2008 surgery. I would be interested in your progress as I had my hyst due to adenomyosis just like you. what were your symptoms before the surgery? and of course, how are you feeling now?? Please keep in touch. Thanks. Babay
Hi Babay
I can start by telling you that my pain started years ago. I had a tubal nearly 10 years ago and the pain gradually got worse following.

Over the past 3 years, the pain had been putting me on my back for 1-2 days each month. November of 2005, I had an ablation. My cycles were so painful and I had major flooding episodes. I had been threatened on several occasions with transfusion my blood counts had gotten so low. The ablation eventually failed.

The last 8 months had been hell. I can only equate the pain to that of labor pains. In October, I went to see my DR with my enough is enough face on and we decided to finally get a hysterectomy. He had been suggesting for over a year.

I would have had it immediately but my son was coming home from boot camp for the holidays and I did not want to feel bad during those precious family days.

So come January, my son was back at boot camp and the time came. In the weeks leading up, I was terrified and changed my mind many times but I can say now (10 days post-op) that I am glad I made the right decision.

As far as my recovery, if it were not for my left side, I would feel nearly 100%. It is so frustrating. I am pretty much off the pain medication. I took some 2 days ago to sleep in the bed for the first time. Yes, I am terrified of the bed! I 'slept' there last night without pain medication. More like, laid in agony all night. Even poor DH insists that we are not ready for the bed. haha So I guess it is back to the couch. I am rambling now so I am just going to do quick bullets on my recovery.

Pain: Less than a week ago but still can be pretty intense at times on the left side.

Pain Medication: Still have them around just in case but not regularly taking them.

Gas: Finally next to none! Thank goodness, the pressure and bloating was getting to be too much.

Swelly Belly: Wow, it has gone down almost back to normal but not enough to get comfortably into my jeans.

Incisions: They are healing ok, but I am seeing some stitches popping out and hate that but I am told that it is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Walking/Exercise: I have a very overprotective DH who will not let me walk anywhere than around the house or a QUICK trip to the store with him. He absolutely will not allow me to overdo it. Sometimes I worry that I might be UNDERdoing it...lol

Sorry for so much information.

Hope your recovery is going well. If I did not cover anything, let me know...
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:43 PM

I am from the DFW area in Texas. Cold as anything here too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register