Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 26 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend07
Hey all, I know this will show my ignorance LOL but I was curious about the cuff I have read about so I read the Vaginal cuff thread. Now it has me wondering... I had read early on that some of you had packing in the beginning , wich was removed before you left the hospital.
Now my question is (since I never thought to ask the doctor)-- If you have a cuff do you have packing or do you have packing reguardless? Did everyone have packing or only some, and what were the circumstances??

The real reason I ask is because afteer the whole problem I had with the staples being left in 10 days too long, I am afraid to think that I could still have packing in there and be totally unaware. You would think if I had that my doctor would have asked if they removed it , but after this whole fiasco, I am wondering if another call to the DR office may be in order.

Please don't think I am nuts LOL I am sure you know how my mind is running laps inside my head right about now. LOL

Thanks gals.
I'm guessing there may be packing if the approach is vaginal, versus abdominal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks Saltydawgs, I thought about that after going back and reading some of the post that had mentioned packing, the users had TVH or something other than abdominal.

Funny how I got all freaked out wondering what else could go wrong, after having had a mistake and miscommunication between doctors concerning my care. LOL
Unread 01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Packing

I had the packing but I had a TVH. It was removed approxmiately 24 hours after the surgery by my Dr at the hospital.

You would know if you had it. It looks like the longest winter scarf you have ever seen and it has a string attatched to it much like a tampon. It appeared to be made out of cloth as well. They had to take the packing out prior to removing the catheter if I remember correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
feeling good

I had my tvh on jan 11 around 7:00am and went home the next day around 1:00pm. my dr had said expect to be in the hosp for 2-3 days. but after i had my surg the nurse told me my ins co would only cover one day post op. I guess because the surg went so well, I'm calling them tomorrow to find out exactly why. My dr did give me 6 wks off recovery time from work. I was feeling extremely sleepy the first day home sat and sun. by mon i was only having mild cramps like a very light period mabe when i was 16 or so. and now going on 2nd wk if i do too much moving I start feeling some something. I cant tell if its gas or what, but please know I cannot do as much as i think i can or I will pull something inside, I cant feel it or see it but the stitches are there and I know I have to go slow, no bending or stretching or twisting. no fast walking or no more that 2 hrs out of the house at a time. It has been a challange to limit myself because I do feel good and I cant wait until my next period is due how good I will feel not to have it.
Unread 01-23-2008, 12:01 AM

Hi:

First thank you to everyone for this forum. I don't know what I'd do without all of you.

Packing. I didn't have any and it is highly doubtful that packing would be left in, or that you wouldn't become aware of it. It is less common to use it. In any case, should be a simple question to the doc or at a post op visit.

I've learned something else that I wanted to share with everyone. Since taking acidophilus and eating yoghurt with live cultures (to restore the healthy bacteria in the digestive tract depleted by antibiotics) I've started to have normal bowel movements and feel better. Even with stool softeners and a good fiber-filled diet, nothing has helped as much as this. Just something to the sisters who may have had all the bowel fun I had post-op!

Hang in, Sarah

TAH with rectocele repair 1/13/08
Unread 01-23-2008, 12:37 AM

Hello Sisters! I am now two weeks out from surgery and I think it is all starting to catch up with me now. Hot flashes are awful. I thought that I would try not doing any hormones but there is no way that will do. I come home from the hospital with patches and they wont stay on my skin. So the doctor called me some Premarin and after I read the ingredients of them I didnt take them anymore. My DH went and got me some black cohash but cant tell that its is working any. So today I started taking the Premarin again. I guess they got to get the hormones from somewhere. I am just still so uncomfortable. It just seems by now things should be getting a little better. The numbness around my incision is driving me crazy. Although the incision healed up very well it is still uncomfortable to wear pants but I guess I need to give it more time. Well just thought I would give and update. TTYL!!
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Stepping Back

Well ... I was doing really well, even to the point where I went a whole day with no need for pain relief. I've increased my walking distance to half the block and back. I thought I'd turned the corner.

But that same night started the first of what is now three nights in a row with very little sleep. Part of it is some kind of throat irritation, most likely due to allergies. Regardless of the cause, it gets me coughing and sometimes hacking to get rid of the itch in my throat. I feel like I'm ready to buy stock in Robitussin ...

Of course, all that coughing doesn't do my stomach muscles any good. It's not bothering the muscles around my incision, but I have a lot of soreness and pain between my incision and my belly button. The feeling is akin to a combination of hunger, muscle strain, gastroenteritis, etc. I seriously doubt hunger is a problem (if you knew me, you'd know hunger is NEVER a problem with me ... LOL).

Like I said above, I had one day where I didn't have to take any pain meds at all. I had taken some generic Aleve the night before, and that was it for about 36 hours (give or take) when I had to take some more Aleve. Of course, that night I had to take a Percocet too ... and just took another one an hour ago. At that point - I was at a 5 ...

I've only had one BM in the last 48 hours, and that was a handful of small pellets ... ick. I've done the fiber capsules - that seems (or seemed) to be working well for me; but this particular time it's not, I guess. Personally - I think that's where most of my current pain is coming from - the gas and pressure from not having pooped.

I have my 3-week checkup on Monday. If I'm still dealing with this pain then - I'll ask the doctor about it. In the meantime I'll just keep on ...
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:10 AM

I had my TAH on Jan 7th and have had only one Tylenol in 3 days. I went out for my first walk 3 days ago and today my DH and I and our Golden Retriever went for a 40 minute walk, a drive and out for lunch at this lovely restaurant overlooking the River with the sun shining - it was so healing. We were away from the house for about 4.5 hours.

I have bent over sometimes to pick things up that I drop and I hope that I am not overdoing things.

Is walking good for us and should I keep it up daily?
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:17 AM

Walking is definitely good ... but I'd recommend your husband be the one holding the leash when your dog goes along. I have Dalmatians - and I know they'd love to go walking with me (even though I'm only going short distances right now). There's just no way I can handle their pulling and stuff without injuring my abdominal muscles. I know Goldens have similar activity levels to Dals - and I'd be afraid you'd injure yourself if you try to handle your dog before you're ready to do so.

How far are you walking? I'm up to about a block at a time - half down and then back.
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:14 AM
feeling pretty good today - don't eat too much popcorn!

Good Morning Ladies!

Its a bright morning here in Northern Kentucky, but 10 degrees. DH got the new treadmill put together night before last and I walked for 1 mile today but only at about 2.2 mph very slow for me. Previous distance attempted was 1/4 mile around the block last Friday. 15 days post-op now.

Had a sleepless night last night. Ate too much popcorn watching American Idol. I won't do that again, (eat that much popcorn.) Everything moved along by this am, so I feel better. I do agree with an earlier post that yogurt cures most all digestive issues. I swear by it when there is an intestinal bug in the house. BRATY diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, Yogurt.

I am just taking 1 generic Aleve now and again. Next week I get to drive, and I re-read my discharge papers that said tub bath after 2-3 weeks. I'll wait the 3 weeks. I don't want to soften up my incision too much. I am putting on vitamin E ointment once a day right before bed, I don't want it to itch and accidentally scratch it. It seems to be healing nicely.

By next week, I am going to start to start conditioning myself to get up at "get up for work" time. Sleep is my favorite vice, and unless I start conditioning myself, I'll be a wreck when its time to go back. The other reason is that DD still needs to log time for her drivers license so we drive to school which is good for 20 minutes. Her friend (and her friend's mom) has been doing it the last 3 weeks, so I have the next 3 weeks. I still may need a nap in the afternoons, but we'll see.

Are any of you dreading going back to work? I don't have physical issues to deal with as I have a desk job, but I don't want all the mental pressures. I have about 20 different people wanting to "pick my brain" and ask "quick questions" which are not really quick in the IT world. I am rather enjoying doing one thing at a time at the pace I choose.

Thank you for all your insight and feedback and honest stories. It has helped me immensely!

Blessings to you all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register