Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 27 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 01-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

I have a question for you new post op ladies - are you breaking out with pimples? I have a break out on my face that I haven't had since I was a teenager!! Occassionaly I would get one in the "T" zone right before my period but I have them all over my face in places I usually don't get them. I still have one ovary but I have heard from some of you that it is probably in shock and not functioning properly yet (if it is even going to). I have had a couple of nights where I have had to strip off a layer of clothing while I am sleeping (hot flash??) but I have Reinards (sp?) disease so I normally go to bed with flannel bottoms a long sleeve t shirt and a sweatshirt over the top. I also sleep with my heating blanket on my side of the bed turned up to 6 so these, if they are hot flashes, are nothing like you ladies are experiencing. I did occassionaly have this heat wave during the night happen around ovulation time so I have always attributed it to hormones. Anyway I was just wondering if the breakout is all part of the body trying to regain its balance?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Had my LAVH-BSO 2 weeks ago today, and I am feeling well! This is my first day "on my own"...took the kids to school today and bought a few things from Wal-Mart. No heavy lifting, though. I took it slow. I don't have "pain" really, just a little crampy. Light bleeding is still going on. I feel blessed that I can still take another month off because I clean houses and it gets pretty physical at times.

I have a dalmatian, too, Somerdal, and would NEVER attempt to walk her right now!

Sheirol--your body will tell you what you're capable of. Don't be afraid--you're wise to take it slow, but if you're feeling well enough to try something, do it. You will be amazed at how quickly you get to feeling better. Everyone goes at their own pace. (I am thankful I'm recovering so quickly, but everyone is different.) Glad you get a nice long leave from work!

Blessings to all!
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Goodmorning from the Dakotas. Hiberbear - you asked about dreading going back to work. Well, after reading everyone's comments yesterday, I felt bad I was not "doing enough yet". So, I showered, did a couple loads of laundry and then did 3 hours of bookwork. Wow, I did not realize how behind I had gotten in just two short weeks. I plan to go back to my office for another 3 hour session today and again tomorrow and hopefully that should catch me up. I did not really feel comfortable doing bookwork last week....I was not thinking completely clearly. I was putting wrong words in sentences. Anyone else have this experience?
I have been on HRT now for about 12 days (upped it once already) and seem to be doing better now. I am asking the doctor about progesterone though. If my body produced it before shouldn't I need some now???
Kaylabow - no I have not had extreme breakout - just one nasty pimple on my chin.
I am still having some problems with night sweats --anyone else. Should I ask to up my HRT again?? (will ask Dr. tomorrow) Also, I have NEVER had a problem sleeping. Well, I am up 2-3 times a night...not for extremely long periods of time but just enough to be annoying...
Overall, though seems to be going pretty well. Incision seems to be healing well. Thank you to all hyster sisters. Reading you questions and comments have helped me SOOOO much.
TAH on Jan 8th with both ovaries removed. ( My mother and grandmother died of ovarian cancer - so I did this due to endo, heavy periods and cancer prevention).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Thank you Hystersisters for all of your progress reports! It has helped me immensely to know that I'm not the only one going through this!
Has anyone had insomnia, night sweats, hot flashes? I can't take HRT, but I would welcome some homeopathic solutions. I haven't had over 6 hours of continuous sleep for weeks! Guess I have to be happy with that, but the norm is 2-3 hours even w/ ambien.
Hope your day is good---rest, rest, rest!
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Hi, all. Hiberbear said something that made me think I may be doing some damage. Since my TAH and rectocele repair on 1/13 I've been the model post op patient when it comes to the actual operation. (I have not needed even a tylenol since day 3, and I'm no hero. Just not that painful.) However, I've been suffering like crazy from constipation, wicked hemorrhoids and that whole vicious cycle. Between mineral oil, fiber pills, yoghurt and a diet nauseatingly full of fresh fruits and veggies, I've finally managed to poop. But the hems are still raging and the only thing that helps is warm baths. I've managed to keep the belly incision out of the water but I'm not enough of a gymnast to keep the rectum below water and the vagina above. (This would be funny if I weren't so miserable.) So my rectocele incision inside the vagina, not to mention the cuff stitches are probably waterlogged. OY. Any ideas, ladies. I am envious of all of you who are wallking. I'm trying to stay horizontal so as not to put pressure on my sore tush! I go back tomw for a check up and I'll ask.

Another thing I've found interesting is the wild fluctuations in recovery. One day I almost feel like my old self (besides the tush) and another day I have no energy. Today I've been just dragging all day. Yesterday I had too many visitors and I learned that even visitors, no matter how well meaning, are tiring.

I've been on the phone already about work questions, but don't find that stressful. In fact, it is reassuring that everyone is moving along without me and that my clients don't feel neglected. (Everyone has been wonderful.) I know that this 'reprieve' may not hold (I'm an architect with a busy practice) but for now everyone is in good shape. I tried to set things up well before I took leave. But I, too, share your anxiety about going back too soon.

Thanks for listening, will take any tushy tips!

Sarah
TAH, recotcele repair, 1/13
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:18 AM

Hello Ladies,

Wow I have not had internet service for 5 days so I have missed alot. I am doing well, but I go so long doing well and then I need a nap. I too am having trouble sleeping, I get into bed and then just lay there for a few hours. I still have my ovaries but am having the "hot" flashes so I just dress in layers and take stuff on and off as needed.

I go to the Doc for my two week check tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get the ok to drive again. I also think I might be able to go back to work part time at the 4 week mark. I am a speech path and I think I will be ok for part days as I work in the classroom and do not have to go and track kids down. The only building I worry about is my high schoolers. They don't always want to come.

I also think that will help that I can still nap. Has anyone else felt almost too good and then try do do much? I worry about this the most.

I have not lifted laundry but I have put some away after the DD's brought it upstairs for me.

KJ
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:35 AM

For those with the "poop problems" , Have you tried Miralax? I started using it day 3 and well it works for me... Sometimes tooooo well. Just a suggestion...
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:43 AM

I'm two weeks post-op, and have finally made it down to my basement level living room to surf the net. My TAH surgery (kept ovaries) went very well. I was up and walking the day after, and released from the castle the evening of the 3rd day. Kept pain manageable with Percocet for the first 10 days; now I'm taking ibuprofen. Stool softeners and a diet high in fruit and other fiber (plus an occasional can of spinach or collard greens LOL!) is counter-acting the horrible constipation from the Percocet, and my bowels are back in action after a slow start. Still have swelling and am still pretty sore, but incision looks good. Most of the burning and tenderness is on the inside and often makes my skin hurt to touch. Anyone else have that?
My husband has been absolutely wonderful and even brought me all my meals for the first 10 days, so I wouldn't have to use the stairs. Now I can walk up and down the stairs a couple time per day, but DH is still cooking all meals and cleaning. What I dislike most is sleeping on my back, but have too much tenderness and pain to sleep any other way.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM

I used Senokot-S on day 4. It worked by day 5... then each day was regular without using anything.
Then I went for sushi!!! ughhh... :-P
I spent the entire night in the restroom... haven't gone since!!
Not too anxious yet as it is only Wednesday morning. If they don't move today, I will again try the Senokot.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:54 AM

Hi Everyone, I had my hysterectomy on Jan.9th. Sorry I still have to learn all the shortcut words for everything. Mine was by incision and I got to keep both ovaries. I have to say that recovery is surprisingly good. My first day was the hardest then I made myself get out of bed and walk. It helped so much. I now have to watch my blood pressure. It shot up after surgery and stayed up for 3 days. THey had to give me meds to get it back down. Did anyone else have this happen?

Being two weeks post op I find most of my pain gone except for the incision area which is slightly sore and stings once in awhile. Trying to be good and not do to much. I was totally surprised to have hotflashes though, now I know what others have been talking about. All in all I am really pleased with my recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register