Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 40 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Hi Sarah. Sorry you're hurting. If I were you, I'd call your doctor. Even if it's a non-emergency, you're doing something reasonable by calling to ask about it. The nurse on call will determine whether you should be seen. (or even if she doesn't think it warrants a visit and you do, it's YOUR body.)

I do go up and down the stairs several times a day...I don't know how to avoid it. The bedrooms/bathroom are upstairs and there just isn't any way of getting around it. (It seems like I constantly have laundry to put away...I ask someone else to carry the baskets up there for me, but I put it away because it's not strenuous.)

Keep in mind, though, that my surgery was vaginal. That's a lot easier to recover from than abdominal. I'll say a prayer for you for the pain to stop or for you to find out what's causing it so it can be treated. Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Good morning
Runningchick-I have been dying to learn to run however I am overweight and well endowed-making running very challenging but I have decided that I'm going to do it any way- goal 5k by my 40th birthday (April). I made it to they gym for the first time post op on Sunday and did 50 minutes on the eliptical...ouch! Again figured too much too soon but that is kinda how I operate - I may not be a supermom like most of you posting here but I am a workaholic and find this reduced activity challenging!

I am finding it hard to be alone lately - I have lived alone for years and always loved my privacy and freedom - however since the surgery I have found myself very afraid to be alone - cried for a whole weeked when my mother left after staying with me for the first post op week - anyone else with new anxieties?? I am healing very well and have had no complications so not sure what I'm afraid of....I know silly me - I bet some of you would LOVE some time alone!!
Anyway loving the posts and seeing how everyone is doing - those of you back to work...good luck and take it easy - I still have a couple more weeks as my job is very physical and 14hour days...what WOULD I do without my post-activity NAP!!!LOL!
Take care everyone!
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Hi Jazzy!

If you don't currently run, 5k by April is a very lofty goal. I don't usually encourage taking on that much so quickly. Our bodies have a nasty way of telling us that it doesn't like what we are doing to it. It will decide that it doesn't want to be pushed like that and all of a sudden you will find yourself talking yourself out of running, going to the gym or doing anything else that is physical. I suggest you take a slower approach. If you have never run before, it's not easy to just go outside and run. Even people who run on a treadmill for 30 mins find it different to run outside. I liken it to driving your car in the city and on the highway. In the city if you drove at 50 miles per hour, you will really feel like you are going fast! But on the highway ( wide open space ) at that same speed you don't really feel like you are moving. This also happens when you go from running on the treadmill to running outside. The treadmill is a smaller space and you run at the speed that is manageable, then you get outside... it's bigger and you are actually moving forward... you tend to run too fast too soon. After a minute you want to die!!
I start beginners out with running for 1 minute or 30 secs... depending on your fitness level. Then walk for 1 minute, run, walk, run, walk... each for a minute.... do this for 30 mins... then rest for a day... next time out... try to add 30 seconds to the amount of time you run... but still walk for a minute... each time you go out you can add some time to the run...
The first few times will feel really good... your body gets that adrenaline high... don't make the most common mistake of thinking that you should run every day... take it slow... after you get to being able to run for 3-5 mins.. you can add another day. You should be able to run the 5k by 8 weeks... but don't expect it any sooner.... If you want to do it before your b-day. Plan to do it with some walking incorporated.

Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Thanks Runningchick...I will try that approach, preop I was running 1-2 miles at 5mph on the treadmill and about 15 feet outside!! ha ha...I hope that the fatigue and pain I had before surgery will be gone and I can "pick up the pace" soon...however you know how it is right now- one step over the line and the body is screaming NO!!!! Have a great day...I'm off for a walk!
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:30 AM

hi
best of luck in your pursuits, go slow, it is tough being held down during recovery, but pushing too fast will prolong that recovery need phase.
I admire your ambition, I too am 43, cant run worth beans, have tried, get way out of breath too fast.
I am otherwise in to fitness, weights/aerobics moderate level, I just had my surgery 5 days ago, total hyst/bilateral ooph, am missing the activity, feeling somewhat depressed.
but I tell myself it is temporary,
best of luck to you
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Hey RunningChick

Thanks for the tutorial on running. Since my surgery I have lost 19 pounds and was thinking that after I divorce Foley Catheter tomorrow, I would try some walking and then try to improve my exercise habits. I go to the gym and ride the recumbent , but that has been my limit. I am asthmatic and never want to push my luck. Your approach will let me figure out what I can realistically do. Thanks!!!!
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM

hi
thats great, I dont know how old you are, but consider removal of ovaries incidental to hysterectomy, see Kate OHallorans site out of california,
the risks arent worth keeping them if you are in the mid 40 age range
I have had mine out just 5 days ago, total hysterectomy too,.
feel okay so far, big relief not to have to worry about occult CA, I had endo
and history of many complex cysts, last one slow to go.
I may reattempt the running thing once I am 3months post, but again I am 43 and speed walking will give good cardio benefit and less harm to joints and facial muscles, note most older runners have a saggy face
any how best of luck to you
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Hey y'all! Hoping today is another stepping stone in the healing direction!

I had my first road trip this past Saturday - about 2 hours each way. My DH drove... parts of the interstate we knew were rough seemed much worse, but I made it through ok. Once we arrived at our destination, I had a lot of friends to carry, lift and help me with things... the trip back wasn't as bad as the one over, I guess it was some anxiety that made the first part worse - or maybe I was just tired on the way back and relaxed more.

Oh wow, the sex question is one we've been discussing - we were married on Dec 1st - and then 10 days later the period from hell started and that's what led to my hysterectomy. He's been so understanding and such a trooper in taking care of me... I hope to start outer play in two more weekends. He deserves it, and for that matter - I do too!

I need to start walking more - we live in a split level house, so stairs were part of my day right after getting home - bathrooms are on two levels, but gotta take the stairs to get there. Stairs haven't been a problem, and for that I'm thankful.
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHrey
:Hey RunningChick

Thanks for the tutorial on running. Since my surgery I have lost 19 pounds and was thinking that after I divorce Foley Catheter tomorrow, I would try some walking and then try to improve my exercise habits. I go to the gym and ride the recumbent, but that has been my limit. I am asthmatic and never want to push my luck. Your approach will let me figure out what I can realistically do. Thanks!!!!
I feel so bad that I did not lose weight with this procedure. I thought for sure I would. I am really bummed. I have actually gained a few pounds. How did you lose 19 pounds Renee?
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Well, I am back to work officially (part-time). I did not get a chance to get much work done. Everyone was interested in how I was doing and how everything went, so I am in social overload right now. I am not too sore but I am tired and swollen. I plan on resting the remainder of the day.

I have my 2 week post-op appointment tomorrow and do not plan to work afterwards. I will return to work on Wednesday.

Anyone have an LSH and been to their 2 week follow-up yet? I wonder what to expect.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register