Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 43 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Hello Sisters!

Well, I am back from my 2 week post-op (and a short shopping trip). The mall is too close to the doctor's office to pass it up! But I can say I am wiped now.

Doctor and staff say I look amazing. They could not believe that I was there for just my 2 week appointment. Funny thing is, I feel like I look awful. haha I thought I had gained about 5 pounds but I had only gained .8 pounds according to my doctor's scale. While that makes me feel a little bit better...it still does not stop the fact that hardly any of my clothes fit right and that I had to go by a pair of jeans 2 sizes larger until I get back to normal.

Dr. told me to not be so hard on myself. He said that the tissues will swell, especially with a lot of activity and that I may even still have remnants of the gases still. Did not figure that...

All of the staff has been very patient with me. I feel like I owe them a big thank you so I am having their lunch catered in on Monday.

Another good thing...while I was gone, my doctor was voted the best doctor (not just ob/gyn but of all fields) in my area. That is pretty cool huh?

I have read all of the posts and I just want to give a big to all my sisters who are without their mothers during this time. I miss my mother (who I lost nearly 3 years ago unexpectedly) so much and especially now. I thank God everyday that I found this site. I know you are all my sisters but I feel my mother's love here also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Forgot to mention. The pathology was in for this appointment. I was not crazy or a wimp. My uterus was filled with adenomyosis, had tons of scar tissue from a tubaligation 10 years ago and had adhered to my abdomenal wall. Not sure what the later means but he made it sound abnormal. I did not ask about it and wish I had. Anyone know what that means?

He also cleared me for everything but sex. He wants me to wait 2 more weeks. Won't hubby be surprised... haha

I am concerned with the whole lifting thing so I asked him to put 'no lifting' in my return to work letter even though he said it shouldn't be an issue. Hubby and I both disagree with that one...
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Well, I too am back from 2 week post-op

Break out the noise makers and strike up the .

There is a whole lot of and going on. I officialy divorced FOLEY CATHETER today!!!!

I have had a catheter in since January 11th and I am so happy to be rid of it. I can now get out of my house and walk around my neighborhood. I can go to the store and the mall. You have no idea how crazy it was starting to make me sitting in the house.

All is well. Pathology report came back and all is well. Turns out I had a very tiny bit of endo forming behind one ovary. Glad that it was found and removed. I don't know what the size of my uterus was because I was so happy about other things that I forgot to ask, but I do know that the giant alien that took up residence in/on/around my uterus weighed 1,130 grams. (My said that what was removed was larger than a small childs head.) All I can say is THANK YOU JESUS for a great surgeon and successful surgery.

Got on the scale to verify my weight loss and I was stunned. I have actually lost 23 pounds. I am on cloud nine. Trust me, I have not been trying to drop the weight, but it is certainly not a bad thing. I could stand to drop 23 more.

hysterscared35 - I think I may borrow your idea about catering lunch for my doctor and staff. They have been amazing to me and my family. I get a call every day to see how I am doing.

Ok, I'll stop rambling on now. I have to admit that the trip to the doctors has taken all my energy. I had not been anywhere except to an emergency appointment on Friday, so :timeup:

Blessings on each of you ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Renee!

Woo hoo! Happy Day! I cannot imagine having a catheter that long. You are one tough cookie! What freedom you have now! Imagine the weight loss to come now! I sure wish I had lost some weight during this ordeal! Lucky girl. If I could lose 15, I would be looking goooooooooooood!

Take care and rest up!
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Hip Hip Hooray to all the sisters getting excellent reports from the docs! We need to stay on track and we'll all be celebraing by DANCING!

To all those losing weight, that's awesome. I'm staying right where I began. Hope to drop a few once I get moving again.

Yeah, no more catheter! Wow, that must be so freeing!

Sommer, man, I can't wait to vote! We vote Super Tuesday and for the first time since 1980 I feel I have a dog in the race. I love politics!

Have a lovely day. I am taking it easy but looking forward to another day at the shop tomorrow and Thursday. I think everyday I will be stronger, and am sure that moving Bethani to school on Saturday all 12 hours of it was too much.

Peace and Love,
Brinks
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Hey Becky, glad your post-op check went so well! The scar tissue from the tubal ligation just means that when you had your tubes tied, during the healing process, the tissue from the fallopian tube(s) stuck to the inside of your abdomen. (sounds to me like it would have caused some pain...)

I had mine tied 10 years ago, also, and wondered if that had contributed to some of the pain I had before my hysterectomy. All of mine, including the ovaries, are gone now, so I guess it's a non-issue for me. I had fibroids, too, that I didn't know about until the surgery.

I'm with you on the lifting issue. I will be going back to cleaning houses in 3 weeks, and I worry about lifting and carrying vacuum cleaners up and down stairs, etc. I plan to discuss it with my doctor next week at my 4-wk check.
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Congrats Renee!!!!!! That's awesome. I bet you'll sleep like a baby tonight!

God Bless!
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Hi, All:

Renee, I can't imagine being housebound for so long, but I would not mind your weight loss! (How did you manage to be in the house and not gain weight? I can't do that. You could write a book and make millions!)I lost about 5 lbs with the surgery but I've had to be so careful since because my appetite is back and I've been doing no excercise.

As for weather, I have a take on it that all of you in the cold midwest will probably enjoy. We live in Israel (moved here about 3 years ago) about an hour northwest of Jerusalem, near the coast. (Warm here even in winter. Weather is similar to North Florida or US southeast.) The weather report here is for snow tomorrow in Jerusalem! (And anywhere else with high elevations including Lebanon, Syria, etc.) You can't imagine the excitement all over the country! Snow is a rare occurance here and life stops completely when it happens. School is already cancelled there for tomorrow even though the snow hasn't yet started. Our kids (ages 10-19) were so excited (they miss snow days from the states) that they have set out to spend the day in Jerusalem. We unearthed our rarely used hats, winter jackets and mittens and off they went. I would have loved to go with them, but I'm not yet up to snowball fights, but I'll report on the net amount to all of you. (Even an inch will cause delirium all over the mideast!)

I have a question for all of you. I'm reading of everyone's progress, steadily doing more and more, and I seem to be going in the opposite direction and I don't know why. Since two days ago when I developed tenderness near the belly button, that belly soreness has spread. The skin is really sensitive and things feel tight and like they're pulling inside. Except for constipation and hemorrhoids (which were really awful) I had no post op actual hysterectomy pain. I read about everyone still on pain killers week one and two and I wondered why I wasn't in any pain; I wasn't even taking tylenol. I'm no hero, I just didn't have any belly pain at all, and hardly any swelling either. I was still tired and moving slowly and trying to take it easy, but at my two week visit my doc said to do what I felt I could do with the exception of lifting.

I felt so good that I started to work PT at my desk at home on Sunday. Now this involved lots of up and down on stairs, and some extended sitting, but really no other physical stress. (Or even mental. It felt nice to be back at work a bit.) I did have a cold with some violent sneezing and coughing for a few days on Saturday and Sunday. Monday this pain began and by yesterday I was pale and weak and ordered to bed by just about everyone who saw me. Now I am on pain killers (motrin is ok. I am scared to take anything stronger as I don't want that awful constipation to return.) I am not concerned medically (Doc reassured me that healing can go this way) I think this healing is normal recovery that I just initially skipped and am having now. I may have overdone it when I felt so good, but I'm not even sure how. I am a bit depressed that things seem to be going backwards. I am also, down deep, concerned that I somehow 'messed up' my one chance for recovery and will have lifelong problems because things didn't heal right! (Crazy new worry #1201. How many have I had since this whole thing began???)

I won't work any more this week (or at all until I feel better) and plan to really take it easy now, mostly resting.

Any advice would be welcome. I am feeling so different than the rest of you, I must admit. I am happy for all of you, really I am, just a bit jealous and concerned!

Thanks so much to all of you. Happy snow!

Sarah
TAH, rectocele repair 1/13/08 (kept ovaries)
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:30 PM

Yesterday was two weeks for me. I've been doing pretty well, better then I thought I would. That's not to say that I haven't had some really bad days. It's easier to feel positive about the whole experience when you're feeling good. Seems I have a bad day about every 3-4 days. I'll get achy all over, have the chills and run a fever for a day or so and then I'm back to good. The first time it happened was day 3 at home. Thought I might have caught a bit of the flu or something. Spent a whole day in bed and I was fine the next day. Then it happened again on about day 10. Weird.

Tonight I decided to have a glass of wine with dinner. My first alcohol in over a month. I'm down to just 1/2 a pain pill at bed time, so I didn't feel like I had much pain medication in my system so I thought what the heck. I started to feel all warm and cozy after just a few sips. Man, I'm a light weight now. I didn't even finish the whole glass. But it was all wasted with the horrible headache I got about an hour later. Totally not worth it. I think it'll be a while before I can enjoy alcohol again.

I'm starting to get a little antsy at home. I've been up and around, but have been careful to not overdo. I load the top of the dishwasher, wash the pots and pans from dinner, pick up things around the house, get the mail, etc. But what I'd really like to do is sweep and vacuum! My DH has been so awesome. Cooking and cleaning and shopping and doing everything for me. He's stepped up more than I ever imagined he would. And I love him so much for it. But let's face it - nobody cleans like mama.

I've been starting to contemplate going back to work part time. I've been doing some work from home - a few hours here and a few hours there. But I know I've got to think about when to return. If it weren't for the 40 minute drive each way, I think I might have attempted it by now. It's times like this that I don't love living in the burbs.

Anyway, there's my two week report. Sounds like we're all pretty much in the same boat - ups and downs here and there, but getting stronger every day. I think we're all just about where we should be at 2 weeks!

Be well all!
Lorianne
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreenarch
Hi, All:

Renee, I can't imagine being housebound for so long, but I would not mind your weight loss! (How did you manage to be in the house and not gain weight? I can't do that. You could write a book and make millions!)I lost about 5 lbs with the surgery but I've had to be so careful since because my appetite is back and I've been doing no excercise.

I have to tell you that it was really rather easy. I went from eating a basic meat and potato diet pre-op to eating all these healthy things like salad and veggies post-op. I never ate veggies every day. And now I try to have something like that with every meal. I'm a plus size sister and that also makes it easier because I have more weight to loose.

My family and friends are laughing because they know that it stems from fear of constipation. Whatever the reason (and I'm sure they are right), I do feel a whole lot better.

They are also laughing about the fact that I have been in the house. I normally would leave for work at 6:00am and not get home until 7:00 - 8:00pm. When I am home, I am either preparing Children and Youth Ministry activities/lessons or watching tv. Being at home all day is so opposite to what I normally would be doing. I am a TV-aholic, but 2 things are killing that.

1) The writers strike is giving me very little to watch.
2) Daytime tv has never really appealed to me.

I am a scrapbooker. So after the first week home, I started organizing some items for books that I need to do/finish. I also decided to make thank you cards for each kindness shown to me. That has actually been a little bit of work. I have tried to keep up with them. I'm a little behind on that - those pesky naps just creap up on me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register