Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 59 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

I agree Hiberbear, I am always saying that "if everyone" pitched in Moms would have more fun times with their kids and time for ourselves. That is one thing that I am truly enjoying about this whole experience is that I am finally getting some down time and truthfully enjoying this time out.

Retired2TV - wow you had a stroke because of your excessive blood loss? I too suffered for 5 years with very low hemo due to the blood sucking fibroids....I am dealing with anemia now again due to the blood loss I had in surgery but feel this will be my last time to fight low hemo and I look forward to having more energy that have had in a long time very soon.

I have not personally had too many crabby days but I sure start to crash in the energy dept. in the afternoon.

Yesterday I started to do a little bit of work from home on the computer. I committed to 1 - 2 hours per day.

Sending all of you healing thoughts and please continue to pamper yourself. We are not that far out from surgery yet to do too much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
TAH Ladies

For the ladies who had a TAH. I am wondering how my progress is with respect to my incision and swelly belly compared to yours.

My surgery was on Jan 7th.

My incision has completely healed and is a very thin line - bikini cut approx. 6 inches.

My belly is still swollen whereas I cannot fit into my regular pants but seems to be going down ever so slowly.

I can walk much faster now but I still walk with a slight hunchback due to the incision and I suppose internal healing there.

How are you gals doing?
Unread 02-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melakat400
For the ladies who had a TAH. I am wondering how my progress is with respect to my incision and swelly belly compared to yours.

My surgery was on Jan 7th.

My incision has completely healed and is a very thin line - bikini cut approx. 6 inches.

My belly is still swollen whereas I cannot fit into my regular pants but seems to be going down ever so slowly.

I can walk much faster now but I still walk with a slight hunchback due to the incision and I suppose internal healing there.

How are you gals doing?
Hi there

My TAH was January 11th.

I have been blessed to have my incision healing very well. My 2 week was on January 29th - and my said that it looked more like I was 1 month post-op. (that was encouraging).

I've got this swelly belly thing going on, but it's kinda wierd. It comes and goes. Never goes completely, but it certainly seems minor some days and MAJOR on others. I have lost a ton of weight, so my pants are actually too big. I put on jeans last night and was shocked.

I really don't have problems walking. I have been trying to get out and every day. I do fine. No hunchback or anything - pace is good, but let me tell you, energy goes quickly. My said to make sure that I nap . I believe that my body is making sure that I am compliant with that requirement.

Sounds to me like you are doing fine. Not that I am any sort of expert. But like everyone here says - recovery is different for everyone. We all seem to have good days and not so good days (I refuse to claim bad days).

Blessings on you ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Ya'll

Hope everyone is recovering regally today. I have not written in awhile because we, like the rest of the U.S., are sick here. DH and I both have a terrible respiratory virus. My stomach is quite tender from all the hard coughing, and I was afraid that I had pulled something loose, but at my 4-week appt yesterday the Dr. said everything looked good.

s.klay- I am also on Vivelle. I've been having a few mood swings, but nothing serious. I think I'm on a stronger dose than yours. You might want to check with your Dr. I have generally had good luck- no hot flashes!

Roller 1990- I feel your pain (literally) on the tape problem. I came home from the hospital with big raw spots from the tape. I also had good luck with baby oil for removing the goo. There is also a spray barrier that can be used on the skin before applying the tape. When my mother was doing chemo a few years ago, we used it around her IV port area to keep the tape from irritating her skin. You can probably get it at a drug store or medical supply- ours was provided by the home medical supply, so I never had to look for it.

Have a wonderful, healing day!
Unread 02-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Did Somebody Say "chocolate"

I have a book called "Hand Over the Chocolate and Nobody Gets Hurt" . That about sums up how I feel. Thankfully I have been provided with plenty to help me through this time. So much for losing 8lbs....

I had my hair cut and permed the week before my surgery. My hairdresser told me not to be surprised if it went wacky on me after surgery. She said the anethesia (sp) in my system may affect it up to 6 weeks or so. I'm assuming it may do the same for hair color, etc. So I agree, treat yourself to a professional job and let them know. Mine said there is a shampoo they can put on and soak for a few minutes that would help get rid of some of the junk in your hair. The only problem I have had with mine is when I wake up soaked from the night sweats, my hair looks like a giant brillo pad!!
Unread 02-05-2008, 01:33 PM

Hi, Everyone:

Just a quick note, because it's late here already.

I learned 2 important things today that I wanted to share with everybody, in case it's helpful.

I wrote yesterday about going to the ER at night about pain in the right side and on ultrasound they found a pocket of fluid collection near my belly button. They had wanted to drain it but I decided to wait until my scheduled appt with my surgeon this morning. I was up most of the night with pain and anxiety about not knowing what they'd do and even if I'd need another procedure. Mostly I was worried about the possibility of things having gone wrong in some way and why I was feeling worse.

Lesson #1:

When possible, if action is needed, wait to speak with your doctor, the one who did the actual surgery. Not a resident in the ER, not the nurse practitioner, not the secretary, not a doctor friend, etc.

Once I was reassured last night that my situation was uncomfortable but not dangerous, and could wait a few hours, I am glad that I did. The doctor today was so reassuring. Yes there is a small collection of fluid, and this can happen after surgery (like so many other things that we didn't know, right?) but he feels it will resolve on it's own and no procedure is needed. I am sure that I exacerbated it by sitting for prolonged periods (I get very into my work and sometimes don't even see how much time has passed, or there's so much to do...) The pain subsides if I lay down. It is draining on it's own. It's not blood, it's not infected, and everything's ok. Glad I didn't let anyone muck around down there last night.

Dr. also reminded me that I shouldn't feel like a wimp because I am still so tired. He reminded me about how major this surgery was and feeling weak and tired for a while is normal. I am going to go for a blood test to be sure that I'm not still anemic (I was post op) but tiredness for a long while is to be expected. This is for all the DH's and other friends and relatives who shouldn't begrudge us our rest even though we seem to be better.

Lesson #2

A big part of my recovery is in my head.

After the doctor did a thorough check and reassured me that my healing is normal and that things are coming along ok, I felt like a different person. I've realized that I have been soooo nervous. I've been overdoing it and then feeling rotten and then getting into a tailspin about why I feel so lousy and how there must be something going terribly wrong. I asked the doc many specific questions about activity as I can no longer trust myself to pace myself. (I'm in my own business, so really need to work, but also don't need setbacks.) At this point, day 23 post op, he suggested working PT (half days in my situation since my work is desk work in a home office) and resting for a minimum of two hours each afternoon. I'm such a loser that I actually needed his help with this schedule!!! I realize now that my anxiety about my recovery may have been impacting the pace of my recovery. After leaving his office, I felt like a person who is healing normally, albeit slowly, who will, yes, be normal again sometime soon. As simple as this may sound to some of you, this is the first time that I actually had this thought; like there was a light at the end of this tunnel. I decided that since I don't seem to have anything to be nervous about, I will be positive, increase the fun in my life (until now I've been using all my non-resting hours to do obligations that I feel so behind in; work, housework, etc.) Tonight we all went out to eat for the first time and it was soooo wonderful. I toasted my DH and kids and thanked them for all their help over the last few weeks. Belly hurt, but I'm glad I went anyway. Now that I know that a little hurting isn't doing big damage, I'm going to try to keep to his schedule and throw in some fun!

Thanks for all of your support everyone. I love you all!

Sarah
TAH and retocele repair, 1/13/08
Unread 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Sarah

I'm glad that you didn't need some drastic procedure to resolve your issue. I remember having a J-P drain after my surgery and they wouldn't take it out until it stopped filling. I remember watching the nurse drain it and wondering what the stuff was.

I don't know whether you have the same kind of fluid, but I am glad to know that you are ok.

I appreciate the reality check that you included in your update. It makes me stop and think - all IS well.

Blessings on you ....
Unread 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM

in need of positive feedback

So a 3 1/2 week recovery mark and find out today that they did take out my cervix..I finally called the dr and requested to speak to someone who could answer some questions that the dr seemed to busy to answer at last visit..So I asked what all did they take, yeah they took uterouse cervix and horns..and she says I probably have a vaginal cuff..p.s. what is that?? that I need to do keggel exercises and weight restriction is on for 3 more weeks. I feel myself getting frustrated at little things. Ready to have my body feel like me again..will that happen??Still having cramping twinge pains in abdomen but trying to ween off the tylonel and ib profen to give body a rest.
On the other frustrating side, I had boughten a puppy about 1 1/2 wks before my emergency surgery. My friends had been taking care of her and she ended up going into seizures. Friend took it to my work, (i am a vet tech) and the dr ended up calling me saying that she is suffering and needs to be euthanized. :O( that was on day 3 of recovery. I had to make the decision to let her go. She had a liver shunt, min schnauzer named savvy, Now the breeder is offering a 2nd puppy 1/2 half..ok the problem was a birth defect and you want me to pay you more money for another puppy..wow..
sorry just frustrated, ready to be better and missing my puppy. Hope everyone is recovering good and if anyone has advice i am all ears.
Unread 02-05-2008, 07:23 PM

vetnurse,

I am sorry about your puppy. That stinks!! I am a day ahead of you in recovery and I can tell you that I have learned to listen to my body. It tells me when I am doing too much. In regards to all of us that are frustrated with the weight restrictions - LISTEN TO THE DOCTORS. When I went in I was not expecting any complications. They discovered that I had adhesions - my bladder was stuck to my uterus which was stuck to the abdominal wall. My dr told me that I must have had an infection or some trauma to cause this. Doing some reading on the internet(actually hystersisters update) I discovered that if you do too much too soon you can cause these adhesions. My guess is that after I had my last child I tried to rush things and caused these adhesions. I have had really bad back pain for the last couple of yrs(it has gotten steadily worse since last birth) to the point that I could hardly stand up to do dishes. I would have to take breaks. I am overweight and just assumed that was the reason. I was afraid to ask the dr because I just knew they would say you are too fat! Since surgery I am like a new person!! I could not exercise before due to the pain but I am itching to be released from restrictions but I know from experience not to rush it. Give yourself time to recover. Work on projects that we never seem to get to. My husband moved the toy room elsewhere and I am getting my own office. Once he has the furniture moved in I will sort papers and organize the file cabinets(no lifting mroe than a stack of papers I promise). Organize your pictures. Start a scrapbook. Redo collage frames with updated pictures. Read a book. Catch up on movies that we always seem to be too busy to watch. O.k. I will get off my soapbox now.

Hope all are well.
Unread 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM

Hi Ladies,

Well yesterday was 3 weeks for me. I had my 3 week check up and my doctor was amazed at how well I'm recovering. I've definitely had some down days, but for the most part, I'm doing great. I've been up and around, doing light housekeeping and such. I've even run the vacuum cleaner around a tiny bit (we have hard wood floors with an area rug in the living room, so there isn't really much to vacuuming). I did fine with that - no problems whatsoever. I've also been driving short distances for about a week without any trouble. So after my appointment yesterday, I felt so good, I decided to do some grocery shopping on my own. All I can say is, ladies - DO NOT ATTEMPT PUSHING A FULL GROCERY CART AROUND THE STORE JUST YET!!!! Oh my, I am so sore today. It's all muscular - nothing inside hurts - just my tummy muscles. I'm not mad at myself though - I kind of feel like I need to test myself to see what I can and cannot do. And I now know I'm not ready for the ole grocery cart. I guess that's just the kind of person I am. I'm gonna test myself throughout the recovery process just to see where I am.

But today, I certainly feel my limits! Tomorrow is another day though and I'm sure I'll feel better. Steps are steps, even if they are baby ones!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register