Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 65 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Flub and Vetnurse:

I am having a similar experience- some numbness and sensitivity around incision area, and swelling at night. I'm back in loose fitting jeans and pants, but still can't wear my normal things. I have also been wondering about using Mederma or something on my scar- the skin feels a little tight, and I think some kind of ointment or something might help. Advice, anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Okay ladies - I had a weird experience today and am wondering what exactly it was. My progress has been great and I have been feeling fine. Drove with dd to the hair salon about 30 min away and as I'm sitting there talking to my hairdresser, I start to feel like I'm passing out - tunnel vision and everything! Took a few deep breaths (didn't even tell my hair dresser I felt bad) then felt really hot. Haven't had any hot flashes yet, is that what happens? I continued to feel kinda crummy, but think it was an overactive imagination at that point as I was envisioning all kinds of problems (heart - I have arhythmia, but have been checked out continuously with my cardiologist - flu, you name it!) Left about an hour later and as I was driving home still just continued to feel "weird", so pulled into a gas station and called my mom (who lives nearby), who came immediately and drove us home. I was so afraid to drive on the freeway, as the tunnel vision thing really scared me. Well, came home and after a snack, feel fine - embarassed and sorry to inconvenience mom and dh who went back to get the car! Yikes! I know you all aren't doctors, but is this what a hot flash is? I though you just got hot - not felt faint and sick. Like I said, I feel great now! Just embarassed! Can anyone relate? Thanks ladies! Take care!
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:43 PM

girls
let's get it right... It is not all in our heads! These symptoms are all part of recovery .. Dizziness... Flashes..swelly belly .. Anything else we can identify.

Another sat nite & I am on the couch!!! Ha!

Best to all as I sit here with a glass of Chardonnay & popcorn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Flub, I hear ya

I'm sitting on the couch enjoying a bit of the bubbly (champagne). I like this relaxing thing...I think I might be getting used to it...too much!
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM

vetnurse,

My abdomen is like yours. I have days that it is really sensitive especially when it is bumped. I have been through this before with my c-section. The nerves in your stomach were cut and they will take close to a year to feel somewhat normal. I had spots that I had no feeling after almost a yr. Other times it was very tender. I promise it will get better. Obviously if it gets worse talk to the dr about it.

The coughing will irritate the incision but it should be only mild pressure unless the cough is intense. If that is the case I would talk to the dr because it may be better to get on some medicine to help with the cough. To much pressure from the coughing may be causing the tenderness.

Good luck with the breeder! As for your boss we can only hope that someone someday comes up with a way to show the cavemen of the world just how much stronger we women are. They have no idea!!

Just make sure that you take care of yourself and rest in the evenings.
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Sunnyca, I'm glad you were wise and called your mom. You shouldn't feel embarrassed about inconveniencing people. They'd probably be upset with you if you DIDN'T call. I've heard of some hot flashes being really severe and unpleasant. That might be what it was. Had you already had your hair washed? I've heard of many women developing vertigo (dizziness) during and after hair appointments because of changes in the inner-ear during positional changes. A friend of mine got so dizzy after walking out of her hair salon that she had to crawl back inside on her hands and knees and have them call her husband!

One thing I've noticed, and I had surgery the same day as you: my doctor told me at my 1-week check that since I hadn't had hot flashes yet, I probably wouldn't get them. But I did start to get them (mildly) at about 3 weeks. So you may be starting to get them now, even though you didn't at first. It might be helpful to mention it to your doctor. Hope this helps!
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:15 PM

Hi, Everyone:

Can't wait until we have nothing to talk about except 'remember whens,' ladies!

I'm certainly not at that point yet. Today is four weeks since my surgery and though I am worlds away from how I felt that first week, I did not anticipate still feeling so lousy by day 28. Not complaining, because the path is clear and I know that eventually this will pass, but like vetnurse, I've been back to work (theoretically part time, although there have been days when PT has added up to too many hours) and everyone around me expects me to be fine by now. Unlike Vetnurse, I don't have a boss (Vetnurse, can your dr. write a letter for you to give to him? Being in a quasi-medical field, you'd think he'd understand. Does the Family Medical Leave Act cover you? Threaten him with that.) Instead (I am an architect) I have impatient contractors and not sure how much longer they'll be patient clients. I don't blame them; their houses are in mid-construction, they've been waiting and they need answers. But the few times I've trudged around construction sites (very physical- lots of climbing) I've come home completely wiped out.

I stayed in bed most of the day today and still woke up swollen and sore. Tummy is still numb in places, but that I expected and it isn't so bothersome. Still have that yucky discharge. (Jenny, thanks for your reply on our lovely retocele repairs. My incision is further inside than yours I think. Nothing's come open, just not healing yet. I think you're right that having BM's doesn't help things. My Dr. agreed with what you wrote about the body reacting to the stiches as foreign bodies. As for sex, I must admit that the itch is beginning to come back, and even a nice long hug and kiss from DH makes me feel good all over, but I can't imagine anything entering you know where any time soon!So much healing yet to do. At my 3 week check, my Dr. gave me another appointment for 2 weeks later, so we're obviously not rushing into this.)

Sunnyca, what you've described is exactly what's happened to me a few times. Most recently right after I walked too fast. I suddenly felt lightheaded and dizzy, hot and the room felt like it was spinning. I also felt nauseous. I still have my ovaries, so it's not hot flashes. The week after the surgery I fainted for the first time when the pain was still really bad and I didn't want to take painkillers because I was so constipated. In the past few weeks I've gotten that pre-fainting feeling and I am worried that I will pass out and be terribly embarrassing as this has happened when I'm out in public. My blood pressure and heart are OK. I really don't know what's causing this and plan to ask my GP about it. My surgeon said that feeling weak post op is normal, but I'm not sure he really gets it. He suggested getting blood tests as I was anemic after the surgery which I will do this week. I think he sees this as whininess, but it is really the thing that is worrying me the most right now and is the biggest impediment to my feeling better. I even thought that maybe it's because I haven't done any excercise in almost 2 months and my body is just so out of shape, but that doesn't seem like enough to cause this feeling of faintness. Don't know.

I am still clearly having good and less good days. On Thursday I felt almost normal. Yesterday I felt completely exhausted. Still trying to 'listen to my body' although I sometimes wish she wouldn't be so fickle!

Regards to all.
Sarah
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:29 PM

For Engineerb

My doctor is having me use kelocote. It was very hard to find, and I had to have it ordered and it was $38 /tube. Hope it works.
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Thanks ladies! It is nice to have a place to discuss all of this! My doctor cleared me to go back to work next week and I have felt great until my little episode today. It did occur to me that my allergies have been bothering me lately and one of my ears has been popping a lot. Since I have arhythmia, I can't take decongestants other than Claratin which doesn't do much or benadryl which is only good if I'm going to sleep. I guess the ear could be the problem. All I really feel now is tired, so I plan on hitting it early tonight and hopefully all will be well in the morning!
Unread 02-09-2008, 10:24 PM

Its late here but I seem to have a hard time sleeping at night or I fall right to sleep and then wake up at 2am and I cant fall back to sleep for a few hours. Any one else, I drink caffine in the morning and thats it. I have always been someone that falls into bed and straight to sleep.
Sunnyca, glad you are feeling better I know every ache and pain I get, headach, dizzy spell I think is this from my surgery is this a side effect is this a hormone thing is this.....I do look forward to when our sugery is the furthest thing from my mind...but until then it helps us listen to our bodies and slow down when we need to slow down.
yesterday I went to the doctors in the morning, had a friend over for a visit, went out to dinner with the family and then a trip to the mall. I came home and fell into bed. Today I took it easy all day but woke up with a lot of dicomfort in my back and this evening I have felt crampy as if my period was here. Sunday will be a day fo rest for me church and then home.
Flub and dschuman69 I like the idea of a glass of wine, that might help me fall asleep.
Hope you all have a restful weekend. Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register