Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 82 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Hello everyone - haven't posted in a couple of weeks but check in every day to see how everyone is doing!
Went back to work Wednesday and Thursday..both ended up being 16 hour days!!! I practically had to crawl home...I fell on the ice about 8 days post op and have been dealing with a herniated disc and wicked sciatic leg pain...a full 2 days in the ICU this week had me nailed! Was very wierd to see my surgeon at work,and all the people that took care of me before and after the surgery (hope I didn't say anything incriminating under the influence of meds!!) I had to run over to her office on my lunch break for my 6 week check up and felt very awkward as she did a pelvic exam...the funny thing is I have never run into her professionally before so now it felt strange to have a collegue DOWN THERE!! She said everything was fine - fortunately no damage from my fall and she released me - no more visits (to the oncology service) It was funny when she said "you can have sex in 2 more weeks" and I replied "got someone in mind???" I'm single and would LOVE to be going down that path in 2 weeks!!
I am pampering myself today in preparation for another 32 hour work weekend...I think I missed it, I love my work and I meet so many amazing patients and their families who deal with so much tragedy - makes me thankful for my own swift, minimally complicated recovery. My anesthesiologist is actually one of my Critical Care Attendings and he pulled me aside yesterday to tell me how great my surgeon was as there were a few "scary moments" during my procedure...he didn't elaborate but am wondering if I really want to know as everything as worked out well...but being the curious one I am I'm sure I will be inquiring!! Another reason to be thankful for the wonderful people around me!

It is snowing here in the Northeast today - a good day to snooze and relax. warmest wishes to everyone, thank you so much for being here...you all don't know how you have blessed my life...
Take care everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
don't push it

I went grocery shopping by myself for the first time this morning. I was doing real well buzzing around Wallyworld until I hit the halfway mark on my grocery list. By then my cart was getting full and the front right wheel decided it didn't want to work anymore. I figured it would take less time and trouble to just finish my list then to try to go to the front of the store and find another cart that MIGHT work better. I probably should have gone for another cart. By the time I got to the checkout and stood in line for another 15 minutes, I was wiped out. Then I still had to get home and unload all of the stuff I bought.
Went a little crazy, too, I guess, being the first time out by myself, and spent way too much money. DH will not be as thrilled as I was at all the bargains....
Unread 02-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Hi everyone. Tomorrow is 6 weeks for me, and I am amazed at how far the body can come in so short a time. What a mess I was even 3 weeks ago. I would have to say that except for having some bleeding last week (which may need some treatment at my next visit in two weeks, and still no 'use of the vagina' as my Dr. euphemistically seems to refer to sex) I am feeling almost back to my old self. Maybe even better than my old self (which is a good part of the reason why we did this, I suppose.) For the first time in 10 years I am not waking up every 2 hours to pee. I don't have that constant bladder pressure. I haven't had a period now since November (I skipped it the month before the surgery, I'm sure out of nerves) and I can't say I miss them. I used to bleed so heavily that I was always anemic or close to it. Now between the sleeping better and the lack of monthly blood loss I am feeling better than I've felt in a long time, and it's still early, I guess. And judging from what I'm reading of your experiences, sex may be really OK, too (though I'm still nervous about it.) I'm looking forward to returning to excercise, too.

I do wish that I hadn't had to rush back to work, but no choice and I'm trying to keep the life lesson of taking better care of myself in general, to heart. It's so easy to revert to the old grind, and I did learn some real lessons from this experience. One of the main lessons I've learned is about empathy for anyone who is having health issues. I thought I understood, but now I understand a bit better. And I am thankful for good health more seriously now.

Take care, all,
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM

Hi Everyone!

YES - Sarah - I have to echo the lesson you said you learned, about learning empathy for everyone in their inidividual situations. I work at a thrift store for 4 hours one Saturday a month and the homeless bring vouchers from the mission to spend or the working poor purchase inexpensive clothing and house hold items. Many times someone will say, "I just had surgery last week", and NOW do I really UNDERSTAND what it means to go through abdominal surgery. I really understand the blessings that have been bestowed upon my family and me.

We all will heal and not be plagued with those problems we had pre-op, but we have been blessed with unique insight that we cannot waste. We really KNOW now what it means for other women about to go through what we did. We also can reach out to others in our closer life that we KNOW need that extra help post-op from any surgery.

take care everyone and be careful of that wicked ice!

hiberbear
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Hello ALL,

Ok I am here to share some good news. Last week Thursday was my six week check, all is well and I can return to my normal life, without month long periods and floods.

I have completed my first two full days at work ( yes I am tired and can not type well right now but......) Friday I only had a long meeting so it was easy, but today was harder, I got really tired at about 1:00 pm and just wanted to nap, so chocolate to help me make it through the afternoon.

This past weekend my DD had a dance compation. It was a long even, but I got to see some really good dancing. I just really tired on Sunday and had to nap. We did stay in a hotel so no cooking or cleaning Yea!!

Sunday night the DH and I got back into being able to have sex, he did not notice anything different. SO gals share all the good news with me, have a bit of chocolate to celebrate.

Hope everyone is seeing some progress forward.

For those in the Mid West Enjoy the snow AGAIN. WE are in the 6 to 9 range, maybe I will get a snow day and get another day off.

Kay
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Back to Work - and Home Again... Just too Tired to Function....

Well, I went back to the office today, and lasted until around 2 p.m. - I felt just exausted, and really achy. My stomach felt so sensitive in a way I hadn't been aware off before. I called my DR and will see him on Wednesday. He suggested I should perhaps stay home another week (hurrah, because although I was looking forward to seeing everyone, once I got there I realized I really wasn't ready to be there!). I've been doing well at home, but I think I didn't realize how much of that is because I relax several hours every day, and have had my feet up.

The other problem is that I got a nasty flu last week, and I'm not sure how much of my exhaustion is still from that.
Lastly, with the flu came a bad cough and suddenlty a really bad spell of incontinence. Ugh! I can't seem to get that to stop now.. have to pee really regularly and avoid laughing or coughing, or, Oops!... will talk to the DR about that too. I had this problem occasionally before the operation, but didn't have it at all post-op until last week. So when it came back, this was very disappointing!
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Well, it is 7 weeks today, both ovaries and tubes removed with repair work done due to my PVH 20 years ago. Can't say I feel great but I see improvement. Feels more like I had a libotomy than an oophorectomy. Can't think straight, sleep through the night or get my inspiration for life back. Guess its going to take some time. My support system is tired too so thank goodness for my Hyster Sisters!

Vivelle Dot .1
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM

Made it day 1 back to work. I sood on my feet for about 7 hours I had a conference call that allowed me to sit down!!!!!! Had some new aches that I hadn't felt before but all in all it was good to be back.

The falling did not stop I fell again this time down some stairs, a trip to the doctors, an unltra sound, and all looked ok I believe the problem is my HRT was to low so we incresed to .025 Estradiol. Although i liked the dot better but now I dont have to worry about changing patches every few days. And I already feel a difference I am not light headed and dizzy.

I returned to work as I said but if I start with the dizzy spells then I will have to stay home wed and thurs. I hope not I am ready to get my life and schedule back

It is great hearing how everyone is doing
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:01 PM

hi girls!

I had company this weekend and today I took a 2 hour nap.

Now I go to the airport to pick up my dd from her cheerleading competition where her team got first place- but she was on the sidelines with a broken hand

Hope each of you is healing better!!!!
Unread 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM

I tried getting back into some of my regular activities this weekend and ended up with a terrible swellybelly. The worst I've had yet. I am still uncomfortable. I don't know how you ladies who are going back to work do it. I sure couldn't at this point. I know 53 is not that old but I feel ancient right now.
flub- so sorry your dd had to stay on the sidelines but at least she got to go with her team. Congratulations on their win.
s.klay- I hope the change in HRT takes care of the dizziness. That can be scary.
vinrl - are you on HRT? It does take time to get straightened out. I still have my ovaries and the hormone upheaval has been the worst part of this ordeal. But, like you, I am seeing improvements and that is what we need to concentrate on.
alpineglow - just what you need, the flu. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Kay - I don't wish snow on anyone but if you need another day to rest....
Getting back into the swing of things is definitely tiring and a pain, but at least we are able to well enough to try. Blessings to all of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register