Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 - Page 93 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 07-Jan 14,2008

I have a bladder infection.....geez

Apparently the doctor at the clinic said that some women are more prone to them for a bit after a hysterectomy.

Remember to pee after sex!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM

Thanks, I would have been next I just started back with the sex thing I was so afraid it was gonna hurt or I was gonna bleed and end up with a longer recovery but it went well so I guess now I need to watch. I already have (pee) area's meaning I don't go all the way, I think I am finished and get up and then I am right back to the bathroom. That and the heavy leg feeling i have at night is the only real discomfort I have going on. I have about 6 hot flashes a day but they are o.k. Thanks for the words of new found wisdom we need all the help we can get
Unread 04-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Hi mjbfan
these are so true words. stay with it, you will get there. Perservere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the kind words Louie64! You sisters are so encouraging!
Unread 04-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Hi, all:

Vinrl mentioned that she has been having a pain that travels down her leg. I've been having the same thing since the surgery and didn't think anyone else had something like this! I feel like an old lady sometimes with this. When I've been sitting for any length of time, my right hip is sore and then I have this pain that shoots down my leg when I get up until I walk it off. I thought this was maybe connected to the spinal anaesthesia that I had but maybe not. My husband thinks it's sciatica pain. It's not a big deal since it goes away by itself, but it is annoying.

The other thing that's hanging around is the inability yet to poop normally. I'm still needing miralax. I had the retrocele repair as well as a TAH and can't risk a repeat of that bout with constipation and hard stools, but do wish I could do without the miralax. Anybody else still having this problem.

We're preparing for Passover here in Israel which means spring cleaning and lots of cooking. I overdid it a bit with the lifting and paid for it with a very sore belly and pains where the incisions are. Oh well. Looking forward to the holiday anyway and will be thankful for overall good health for all of us.

Thanks, Sarah
Unread 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM

Hi Sarah!

I am well acquainted with that type of leg pain, but not related to our surgeries. I have a herniated disc that flares up from time to time and causes that sciatic type of leg pain. I do think that it is related to your spinal anethestetic, but I would be sure to mention it to your doctor. Your gyn doc may want you to see your primary care doc for it.

In my case, it is pressure that the disc is putting on the sciatic nerve and when I take muscle relaxers and/or ibuprofen, it usually reduces the swelling that is affecting the nerve.

Yes - it is quite painful and you DO feel like an old woman trying to walk when you get up and try to walk across the room. Sorry Vinrl that I didn't think of this when I saw your post last week.

Sex has been "careful" and "guarded" for DH and I. Its been only 5 times that we've tried. Time number 3, I figured I was broken and I was in tears and DH would rather just not have any and have me alive (hyst was for near cancer) than have sex. Time 4 was MUCH better and woo hoo, with a little more foreplay, I made my OWN lubrication! (sorry if TMI). Things were tight and hurt only slightly. Time 5 was just as frustrating again, too tight in one spot. I don't know if it'll get better with time and stretching needs to occur. I see my gyn again on 5/15, so if we have not made good progress by then, I'll bring it up with the doctor.

Still not on HRT, hot flashes are not too terribly bad. I do find that I have to be careful not to wear clothing I know is hot to begin with and I am ok. I packed away all the winter things already to get some spring and summer things out just so I can have cooler lighter things to wear. Soy milk (the chocolate kind) helps a lot and its yummy. I may consider changing my fat free Land of Lakes creamer to the soy creamer product to fit it in without ingesting extra calories. I also took the flannel sheets and the extra blanket off the bed. I used to run on the cold side all the time, now I make my own heat.

By the sign that there are less and less posts on our date thread, means that we are all getting on with our lives. A point we thought that we'd never get to! Take care ladies!

hiberbear (kim)
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:31 PM

Hi Sarah,

I still have to have help for normal bowel movements as well. Its miserable!!!! But we have to remember that we are not quite as active as we were which helps the bowels. Also the anesthesia stays in our bodies for about a year and that plays a part.
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Just an update from me.
I had a CT scan the 3rd. Found out yesterday that everything is okay as far as post op goes but I have several things going on that could be contributing to my excessive swelly belly and heaviness in right side. I have a possible gallstone, possible flare-up of diverticulosis and a definite hiatal hernia. So, I have to go back to my primary care doc for all of those.
Actually, I am feeling much better than before I had the scan. Since the weather has been so nice here in KY I have been able to get out and walk my dog on a regular basis. I think that has helped a lot. I don't swell quite as much as I did before when I tried to exercise. My stress incontinence is better, too, so I think the exercise is helping that. I am supposed to see a uro-gyn for that but I think I am going to put it off for a month to see how things go. For one, I just don't think I am up, mentally, to the tests that they will put me through. And second, I still haven't even gotten my referral for that yet. We are getting ready to go on vacation the 10th of May. DH and I will be going to see our DD and her family. Then when we get back from there I am going to see my other DD with a friend of mine. I doubt if I can even get an appt. now before we leave and if I don't get one, the referral will expire before I get back from my travels. Since it isn't as bad and I can deal with it by just wearing a pantyliner, I think I will just wait and see if it improves with more exercise. I think after spending time with my family (who I only get to see a couple of times a year, at best) will do wonders for my mental and emotional state. Then I will be better able to deal with these other problems. I don't think waiting another month is going to hurt any of them. The worse thing right now is just that my tummy is tender when I wear something tight. So, I will just get some loose fitting vacation clothes and go off and enjoy myself!!
I hope those of you with the leg problems have found relief.
Shelly- I hope things are going better for you.
Sarah- I am sick of Miralax, too. But I have to keep taking it for the diverticulosis. I really wish there was an easier way. I try fiber rich foods but there is only so much of that you can eat in one day, too. Chocolate and a cup of hot coffee or tea really works great but as much as I would love to take that on a regular basis, I don't think the extra pounds will help my poor swollen tummy!!
Kim- hope things have improved for you in the,uh, bedroom. I am still having struggles in that department, too. I'm almost afraid to try again because I don't want to be disappointed again. ALMOST, but I won't give up yet.
Don't want to leave anyone out. I just hope everyone is making progress in your particular trouble areas. I hope the silence on line means you are all enjoying life again to its fullest. I have problems but I am still totally blessed by God to be alive today. My DH and I have always had a close relationship but it seems like it has deepened in ways that it never would have pre-op. I have much to be thankful for.
God's richest blessings on you all!!!
Unread 05-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Hey ladies!!!

It's been a while since I posted an update. I don't get the time to really get on here and read/post.

Here I am 16 weeks (4 months) post-op and I am feeling great. A few weeks ago I was having some issues with pain in my lower back and I thought it was another UTI. Went to the (Urologist) and he did some tests and thought that I had kidney stones. He also put me on another anitbiotic just in case. I had an abdominal ultrasound and I don't have stones. Not sure what's going on, but it wasn't a UTI (lab resolutes confirm negative finding on that) or kidney stones. I go back on May 13th to find out official results of ultrasound.

I'm back at work and church. I am once again burning the candle at both ends. I occasionally strike the match in the middle too.

I really thought that I would be able to cut back on some things, but I actually added 1 thing - which is an enjoyable thing for myself.

I've kept the 40lbs off - so far. I still get tired, but that has little to do with the surgery and more to do with a crazy schedule. I am juggling changes to my Children and Youth Ministry as well as a job that I returned to - only to find that my 12 person staff had resigned. Honestly - the last 2 only had 4 days left when I returned.

I think that I will have to start using that neglected gym membership. And this summer I'll have to start in my very neglected pool. My abs are really flabby now - I guess with the eviction of my - my whole abdominal area is thrown off.

I'm going to pass on my summer trip this year because I don't think that I am ready for several thousand kids - it's a national program that I work every summer - this year it is in Louisville, KY.

One last thing - at least for now ....

I have really enjoyed the support and the friendship of my newly found sisters. I appreciate the support and well wishes - encouragement and tips along the way. I have to tell you, I asked for some help in a private post to kj113 and I wanted to publicly thank her. Kay helped me prepare for a meeting at my God-Daughter's school and because she was so helpful - it was a big success. The first thing that she told me was to be calm. I tend to go into orbit when it comes to my God-Daughters - I think because I don't have kids of my own and I handle so much for them. Anyway, Life is Fabulous and my 9 year old will be getting the help that she needs. THANKS KAY!!! I'll send an e-mail with the details.

I pray that all who are having lingering post-op issues or even new issues will soon find relief and resolution.

Continued Blessings on Everyone ....
Unread 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM

Renee:

Glad that things are going so well for you. It's good to hear good news and as much as I'm glad we're past that initial hard stage of recovery, I miss the interchange with the sisters.

Just wondering if anyone is still having residual effects? I am having two and in fact, am going back to my regular gyn today to get a second opinion.

I still have intense swelling by the end of the day (especially if I've been more active) and two points of pain on either side of the belly button. That area is tender to the touch.

Second problem is left over from the retrocele repair. If I don't take a stool softener (miralax) even for one day, the stools get hard. Passing a bowel movement becomes an ordeal. If I push too hard or pass a hard stool, I have intense pain and pressure in the vagina and rectum where the suture line was. I am doing everything I can with diet and exercise, but still can't seem to do without the miralax.

Is anyone else still having some lingering problems? None of this is keeping me from my regular (crazy busy) life. But I don't yet feel back to normal and wonder if I ever will. Truthfully, in my case, the sex is better than ever, and for that I'm very grateful. The hysterectomy also solved my bladder problem thanks to not having a huge fibroid resting on it any longer. So I'm not really complaining, just wondering what everyone else is feeling.

Take care, Sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register