Light Bleeding still (a year later) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Light Bleeding still (a year later) Light Bleeding still (a year later)

Unread 01-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Light Bleeding still (a year later)

Okay, here is a breakdown of my research so far.

1. One website states that some women who have had a partial hyst. will have monthly spotting or light bleeding if endometrial glands are still embedded in the CERVICAL tissue.

2. Endometriosis may also cause bleeding with those who have had a partial hyst. Endo happens when the tissue grows outside the uterus. These growths are called implants, which can be found on the cervix (among other areas).

Maybe this is my problem?

Well, on to more research!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM

More research:

I found another website about endometriosis (again, don't know if it is factually correct, but it sounded good).

One question asked about having endo. was, "Aren't hysterectomies or pregnancies the cure"? The answer was no, there is no cure for endo.

It states that a hysterectomy "treats Endometriosis ONLY on the organs that were removed. Endometriosis implants also have no need for external sources of estrogen, so regardless of whether you are on HRT or not, if all disease was not removed, you may likely continue to experience symptoms".

It also states that "pieces of the uterine lining ("endometrium") migrate outside the uterus and continue to grow abnormally. These implants respond to hormonal commands each month and break down and bleed. However, unlike the normal endometrium, these implants have no way of leaving the body. The result is internal bleeding, degeneration of blood and tissue shed from the growths, inflammation of the surrounding areas, expression of irritating enzymes and formation of painful scar tissue. In addition, depending on the location of the growths, interference with the bowel, bladder, intestines and other areas of the pelvic cavity can occur".

So it appears that I may have endo. Even though my uterus is gone, and therefore I have no lining to shed every month, I may have old endo. on other organs that are continuing to react every month.

If I keep this up, I might know more than my doctor!
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM

We know that endometriosis isn't cured by a hysterectomy. Its one of those myths....and we know very welll here. Sad, isn't it?

You said:

Quote:
Even though my uterus is gone, and therefore I have no lining to shed every month, I may have old endo.
I suppose you could have endo but the fact that you have your cervix means that you have part of your uterus which in many cases has lining that sheds every month.

The cervix has lining as it is part of the uterus.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
light period

I, too, had mini periods a year after my partial hysterectomy. Dr. could find nothing but minimal amounts of endometrial tissue. He told me that the "period" would likely increase in amount because of the tissue. I ended up having my cervix removed and have not had any bleeding since then. Hope this gives you a little more info.
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Well, I definitely had severe endo - that was confirmed 2 years before my surgery. Now that I am reviewing these threads I remember my gyno. telling me that there was a good chance that the hysterectomy wouldn't cure the endo., but I mainly had the hyst. for the watermelon-sized fibroid he found. However, he felt the problems I was having with my period might be more from the fibroid and there was a good chance the endo. wouldn't be a major problem after the hyst. Okay, I believed him then - don't believe him now!

I was excited to have the hyst. thinking that would be the end of the heavy, heavy bleeding and all my other problems. However, I now see that I pushed the thoughts of "endo" out of mind and just figured everything was because of the fibroid.

I was just feeling so good after the surgery that I thought everthing was over and done with. Now it appears my endo. is making a reappearance and causing problems - much to my dismay!

I will definitely talk to him about possible solutions (i.e. removing the cervix) because I really don't want to go through my teenage experiences again.
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Hope all goes with the doc if you go back. I did not have endo so I feel for you. I had my hysterectomy because my bladder and uterus fused together. Thought that removing the uterus would take care of all my problems. Once the "period" started again the doc said I could have a biopsy of the tissue every three months or just remove the cervix. Best decision for me was to remove the cervix. I was 28 at the time and did not forsee years of biopsies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register