Worried about tiredness and stitches at 5 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about tiredness and stitches at 5 weeks post-op Worried about tiredness and stitches at 5 weeks post-op

Unread 01-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Worried about tiredness and stitches at 5 weeks post-op

I had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago. I'm still tired and no energy. Also, I started "exploring" and noticed I have stitches that feel like fish line. Is this normal or shouldn't they have dissolved by now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 08:29 AM

Hey Hopefloats!

I had my TVH on 12/3 - and this week I am EXHAUSTED - it hit me like a ton of bricks! I too did a little self-exploring and found stiches inside. I am thinking to myself that there is NO WAY that I will be ready for intercourse in 1 week.

I am so glad you posted this. I was concerned that it was just me. It felt like I recovered quickly for the first couple of weeks, but then after that - it's just the same. I will have my good days, but for the most part I'm sore and tired. I sleep 10 hours a night, and take naps during the day. When the alarm goes off at 6 to get my kids up - it's always too early.

I go for my 6 week ck up on Monday 1/14. We will see what happens.
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Hopefloats (stitches)

Thanks Mandi so much for replying! I'm glad it just isn't me. I had a LAVH on 12/6 and I go in for my next doctor's appt. on the 16th of this month. I hope I don't have anything that sets me back from going to work on the 17th because that's when I'm scheduled to return. I'm just worried about still having internal stitches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 08:48 AM

Oh - I've been back at work since 12/19. I had my cath removed (due to a perforation to the urethra during surgery) and the next day back at work PT. I'm at work now, and just want to lay down. I push myself through, b/c I don't have a physical job - I just sit at a desk and type. No different than when I was at home and posting to HysterSisters! It is a little different in that I can't just lay down when I want to.
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:56 AM

OMG! Good for you for going back to work! How do you do it!?! Now I'm feeling like a wimp! Granted, my job requires more physical activity, but this no energy thing I'm not used to! I'm used to be able to do whatever.
Thanks again for your post!
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Well - see - now you know why I'm concerned about my energy etc.... I was just a day past my 2 week post-op and was able to work. And, now at 5 weeks post op I don't feel any better. Just the same - EXHAUSTED! THen when I felt my stitches I was like WOW! No wonder! I had imagined that I'm all fine, well and good. Now I know why I'm exhausted!
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM

I went back to work yesterday and WOW I did not realize the difference between work and home. My job is more stressful than physical but after 6 hrs I was done. Today was a little better but I know how you feel. At 2 weeks I felt great but I feel that I have not improved a whole lot since then.

I go for my 6 week check up next Friday so it will be interesting to see what the doctor has to say.
Unread 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM

It took me a while to get my stamina back. It was months, really. Sorry, that probably doesn't help you feel better but it's realistic. Even a few months out I'd feel like I was doing okay then I would go a little too far and be exhausted and hurt. I had to make choices.... clean house or laundry, never both the same day, or the same weekend. It got better, then I found myself wondering when the last time was routine stuff wore me out.
Unread 01-08-2008, 05:04 PM

It's been taking me a while to get ANY energy and I'm 9 weeks now! Yesterday was the first day since surgery that I had enough energy and strength to clean and vacuum even one room. Today, I got through half a bathroom and I'm feeling nauseous and tired again.

I even went and had blood tests done at 7 weeks because I didn't understand how I could still be so weak and tired that far into recovery. Everything was normal. I just think everyone heals at different rates.

I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 01-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Great! Thanks you two! I was hoping it was just a 5 week post-op set back - Now you tell me it's normal for a few months! I was looking forward to working out again - but if you can't even clean a bathroom (which mine need severly) UGH!!!!

I'm out of work 1/2 a day yesterday and all day today just resting. Getting the kids on the bus today kicked my butt! I can't really complain though - I'm not even supposed to be working yet :-0

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register