? About my incision site | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? About my incision site ? About my incision site

Unread 01-08-2008, 05:35 PM
? About my incision site

Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone here has had this happen. I am 275 lbs. with a big tummy, Had a TAH. On the 17th day after surgery way down about 3 inches from the pubic area, I went to sit on edge of potty and as I did I felt a funny sensation. When finished I looked on the floor and saw about the size of a nickel a dollop of pus and next to it watery blood drops when I stood it ran down my legs and hubby had to come help as it soaked my underwear to. Almost like a pimple had popped was the feeling. My husband said theres a little hole where it is draining from. Since then I keep a gause pad on it and every potty time change it. I called Dr. office and nurse called me back. She asked if it was red swollen or hurt or SMELLY!! I said no just that it continues to weep. She told me in larger women that it was not uncommon for a spot to open and drain. Then she said wash it with a antibacterial soap. Now today, Day19 I noticed the spot has gone from watery discharge to more mixed with a light puss color and has a little thickness to it. I am going to call the nurse back, but just wondered if anyone out here ever had this happen. Thanks, Hope everyones doing o.k. I am real tired. But otherwise doing o.k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 07:28 PM
? About my incision site

(((MiMiLu))) I would call the DR's office and get it seen. Whether or not it's happened to anyone else, it's happening to you, and it doesn't sound OK to me. I don't think you want to wait until it starts to smell to have the DR take a look - remember, when you (or your insurance company) pays them for the surgery, it includes normal follow-up care.

Let us know what you find out, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM
? About my incision site

Hi Mimilu52,

I am very overweight. I had my surgery back in November. I went to the Wound Care Center at the hospital yesterday for two reasons. First, my incision is still not healing in 4 areas. I have nickle size openings that are infected, red, swollen, smell, and also oozing pus, blood, and other liquid material. Secondly, I am developing huge pimples under my hrt patch, and really any band-aid type adhesive material. When the adhesive is pulled off, it pulls off the pimple to it's core. Talk about painful. It just brings tears to my eyes. And I can't stop the bleeding. I have to go stand in the shower with cold water just running on my abdomin to try to stop or slow it down. Soap and water never worked. Witch Hazel just burned and irritated me. I then resorted to hydrogen peroxide. I would pour peroxide in the hole. Sometimes that worked, sometimes it would just continue bleeding. I would end up packing the hole where the pimple was with a cotton ball, and covering it with a band-aid.

What I was told by the Wound Care doctor. I have a allergy and/or sensitivity to certain materials, like adhesvies, staples (which were used in my surgery). So, I had to have my wounds all cleaned out, and am starting over. I was told not to get my wounds wet, not to use peroxide, alcohol, witch hazel, or soap and water. I had to have a medication mixed by a compounding pharmacy to use on my wounds. I also clean my wounds with sterilized water. I change my dressings and medication twice a day.

And the one thing that caught me off guard...having pimples is normal. It shows you are circulating well, and your body is just reacting to something that shouldn't be there.

I agree with Linda, and go back to your gyn. Show him/her for yourself. My gyn was really hesitant in sending me to the Wound Care Center, and I'm not too sure of why. But I did insist on going. I am so glad I did. I can report that my wounds are healing, and most of the infection is now coming out. I want to be done with gauze pads, tape, and this entire mess.

Please keep us posted on how you do.

Blessings All Around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
? About my incision site

Mimilu, I had a hematoma that opened on my incision (right side) - about the size of a quarter. It happened 2nd day in hospital (this was 15 months ago). I was showering in the hospital and next thing what looked like a gallon of brown blood came out of my incision. Freaked me right out - the woman in the bed next to me looked into the bathroom and thought for sure I was a goner! Was told it was a hematoma. Even when I got home 5 days later I was told to keep a tightly taped sanitary pad on it, but it still bled about every 2nd day for about 3 weeks (it bled less as time went on). The first couple of times it was a dark brown color - maybe a faint odor if I recall correctly. The gyno. told me not to worry, as the blood from the surgery just needs to find a way out of your body. I don't recall it being like "pus", but for sure I would see the doctor about it. I went back to my gyno. quite a few times during the first month because I just kept thinking it wasn't normal - but I guess it was. He would look at it and just tell me to keep it tightly wrapped and to come see him in another week if I was still having problems.

However, as you have "pus", I would definitely go see the gyno. right away!
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:18 PM
? About my incision site

my incision opened with my first c section nearly 9 years ago and I had a hole that leaked fluid. This sounds exactly like that except that yours sounds infected. I did not have pus. I had to have the hole packed with gauze by a visiting twice a day until it closed. It took nearly the full 6 week recovery to close. I would definitely make doc see you. If it is an opening you could be dealing with internal infection and not just wound infection. That is why they packed mine. Wound infection is bad enough. Please take this seriously and see doc, if he/she is too busy go to your general physician. One of the main things we are supposed to call the doc about is oozing that smells badly.

Take care of you

Kinda
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
? About my incision site

My doctor was very concerned with my incision "bursting" open. He kept my staples on for 3 weeks and then steri-stripped it for 2 more. There are still 2 spots that are are troublesome. One is now almost closed, the other is no longer emitting anything, I just have to keep the area dry while it finishes healing. I'm SO READY to be done with gauze and tape and peroxide.

It does sound like you're at the beginning stages of an infection. It's best to catch that kind of thing early. Please follow up at your doctors office.
Unread 01-08-2008, 10:10 PM
? About my incision site

I am overweight as well. I also had discharge and puss. My doctor ttok a culture and put me on antibiotics that day. I was to stay in bed and she had homecare come in and check on me for a few days. I did not have even as much puss as it sounds like you had! I was told that it could lead to a absess and to watch for every little sign. I think you should call your doctor and ask to see her!!
Unread 01-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Ok Folks I hear you!!!!

As soon as I get up in the A.M. I am calling the office and insist I be seen this Friday. It's the only day he is in to see patients, He does surgery all the other days plus he heads a team for this GYN problem related specifically to cancer. I will let you all know the answer soon as I know. Thanks everyone!!!!! Big giant HUG'S
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM
? About my incision site

Hi Mimilu52,
I went thru something similar. I immediatly called my Drs. office and was told to go in later that day. He gave me antibiotics to prevent any infection, and he cleaned and put a little tiny wick in it, then I went back the next day for treatmeant, and then I would go in every 4 days to get it cleaned. He also did 4 silver nitrate treatments. Right before the holidays he put adhesive to close the wound since he said it was no longer oozing. ( I think I did too much afterwards because it opened up again, no oozing). I saw him again after the New Year and he said it was fine that now it would have to heal on it's own. I had my TAH on 11/01/07.
I hope your dr. sees you soon. keep us posted.
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you!!

Thank you for the info on yours, Did the oozing smell bad or look like a little pus mixed with watery fluid? I called today but never got them I will try again tommorrow. Mine has no smell at all, And she said bigger tummys do this at times. But it is scary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register