Ok when does the insomnia go away? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok when does the insomnia go away? Ok when does the insomnia go away?

Unread 01-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Ok when does the insomnia go away?

11 days out and seemingly doing well...been out for walks, incision healed completely and cleared for driving...

Still have up days and down days.....but the one thing driving me nuts is the insomnia.....I do get tired at my normal time but then I go and just fidget in bed...

I've read alot about insomnia and how to combat it....could it be my body healing? residual anesthesia affects?

Tell me there is an end in sight or else I may have to become a certified vampire....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 07:02 AM

I'm 7 weeks out and had to get a prescription from my Dr. to help with my insomnia after having NEVER suffered from a sleep problem in my life. From what I've heard, it's completely normal for all women (even women who don't have hysterectomies) when they start to go thru the change. I've also been told that it doesn't last forever.
I finally called my Dr. because the insomnia was really interfering with my life, especially at work. I take Ambien (don't know if I can name it here) and it works great for me. I do not wake up groggy at all. You might want to try taking just 1 Tylenol PM if you don't want to take a prescription. Good luck and good rest!
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM

I've always been a terrible sleeper, and the insomnia really got me this time. I think it's a combo of post surgical pain (I'm still pretty tender) and hormone flux.

I have a hard time on Ambien. I sleep great but if I take it for more than one night I have withdrawal insomnia. Just one tylenol PM and one regular tylenol have been helpful about 75% of the time that I take it. If that doesn't work, the next night is an Ambien night.

Other than that, I realized that my nightly routine was interrupted, so I consciously did what I always did before the surgery and that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM

I also had the insomnia bad. I am 9 weeks now and I am sleeping mostly ok. More night than not. Hang in there. It does get better.

Starbgirl
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:48 AM

I had talked to the doctor at my 2 week appointment about the insomnia, and it's just not quitting. I'm going to be asking for a sleep aid at my 6 week post-op next week (and I'm thankful to see that Ambien is formulary and available as a generic on my prescription plan - I get formulary generics for $0 charge!).

Last night, I was wide awake until 3:30am, tossed and turned for another hour at least, and had to get up at 7:30am to get kids off to school this morning. I can't imagine this cycle, trying to work full-time.
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Tam - I did try the ambien. It worked great for the first few days then it didn't work!! So then I would take it every other day and then every 3 days or so and for whatever reason that made it work better. Now I am not taking it at all as I was afraid of the dependency issue. Like I said most nights I am sleepng much better - not all. I think there is a lot to be said for getting back to your usual routine. Going back to work full time has helped me sleep better and now that I am getting ready to start running again I feel like that will really be the trick. That is my routine.

Good Luck!!

Starbgirl
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:13 PM

I'm six week out and the insomnia is the absolute worst! I too tried the Ambien. I think I got one good night out of it. I start work next week and this is a huge concern for me.
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM

Hello Ladies...I am 1+ year out and if I can remember correctly my insomnia eased up by the 2-3 month mark and was completely better by th 5th month. By eased up I mean 1/2 nights a week. It seemed to correlate with my recovery period.
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:26 AM

i am having the same problem. i am 5wks out. i am up most nights untl 4-5am. i am tired as heck but cant fall asleep. then i have to get up at 7am to get kids to school. i have to go back to work next week not sure what i am going to do. thing is during the day i can fall asleep so i take a nap and then think thats whats keeping me up at night. i dont know!
Unread 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM

Me too...I am five weeks out. I read or watch Tv or on the computer to 3-4am...some nights I don't go to bed at all. My doctor said she does not like to prescribe sleep aids...told me to take a Tylenol pm...it works...but I am groggy till noon the next day. Don't know which is worse. I go back to work in one week...don't know how I am going to do it. Have got to figure out a way to rest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register