Ok when does the insomnia go away? - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok when does the insomnia go away? Ok when does the insomnia go away?

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Ok when does the insomnia go away?

Yep, Alice the worse is not being able to sleep. It effects everything. How you perform at your job, your moods EVERYTHING. I do know if I get sleep my mood is so much better. Ambien does not cause depression for everyone but I think at the point I was at it did not help to change any medications when my body was so busy trying to balance hormone levels. I don't know how long it takes but I am hoping I can get off the meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 08:45 PM

Man you guys, since I began having peri menopausal symptoms my sleep has been in the toilet!

If I have a normal cycle I do not need any help at all, it's weird.

I still have my ovaries 11 days post op and hope for some normal cycles now and then.

This is how I measure if I'll be able to sleep. I take a long hot bath (I am off baths until my 2 week check, waaahhh) and if I am drowsy or fall asleep I know I'm in for a good night's rest without help. Otherwise, I do Ambien (I split a 10 mg pill most the time.)

Thus far it works for me. Have not experienced dependancy or depression on it, and I've been using it for three years!

Peace and Love,
Brinks
Unread 01-22-2008, 01:05 AM

January 1st was 7 months cancer free and 7 months since I had my TAH.....everything went......I use Ambien only if I really need it, which lately hasn't been too much lately!!! Since I went back to work in September, I have had my ups and downs with sleepless nights. I was always stressed out that I would not get up in time, so I started exercising so I would tire myself out. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't......when it didn't work, I would take a hot bath and once again only take the Ambien if I knew I would get 8 hours of sleep......I try to stay off the computer after a certain time......Nothing was a sure thing....I am a General Manager of a restaurant, and I do a lot of running around, so I would try to move around more at work.......the stress of running a restaurant would keep me up too.....but I still stay up too late, but I go to bed with a book and that has been the best, plus a perfect hot bath!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 02:31 AM

I do not understand why I can not sleep I still have my ovaries. But here it is 3:30 am and I am wide awake.

Is this typical when you still have your ovaries?
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:48 AM

Missy, it really doesn't matter. It sounds like some people have it because of surgery and/or BSO and others like me have it as a peri-menopausal symptom long before and now including surgery.

Try an over the counter remedy, or call your doc for a prescription to use only when you are having trouble. Sleeping a few nights a week goes a long way in helping you feel better the rest of the week.

Good luck,
Peace and Love,
Brinks
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:43 AM

I'm still have sleepless nights. I go bk to the doctore on the 30th & I am going to talk to him about my sllep problem. Last night was a no sleep night I could feel my body was tired but jut would not let it go to sleep.
Unread 01-23-2008, 03:52 PM

I've been having sleep problems for about 2 years now. I had my TAH/BSO on 1/17/08 and it seems worse. It started with my perimenopause symptoms (irregular periods). I noticed that the insomnia was worse just before my period and better after. I fall asleep okay but I'm up from about 2am to 4am. Sometimes I take one half dose of an antihistamine (like Benydryl which has diphenhydramine) to get me back to sleep at 3am. I also start praying and the repetitiveness of it gets my mind off daily things and helps to get me back to sleep. (You could try meditation or mantras) I hope my insomnia is worse now because of my inactive life post-op. I tried the OTC sleep aids (like Unisom) and it makes me groggy the next day. It has a different type of antihistamine in it (Doxylamine--the same stuff in Nyquil). I tried taking 1/2 tablet of it but still didn't like it. I'm going to try natural/herbal remedies like melatonin. If it helps I'll be sure to let you know the results hopefully in a couple of weeks. Phew! Did I just write a novel?
BTW a couple of years ago I did try Rozerem (by prescription) and it did work but I don't want a yet another chemical to take.
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Try taking Melatonin, that is a natural sleep aid. I take melatonin and 5 htp along with 2 progesterone pills50mg (bioidentical)and I sleep pretty good with the exception of having to get up and go to the bathroom but then I fall right back to sleep. Sleeping seems to be a big issue with women after hysterectomy and/or during menopause.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Wow bio identical progesterone. Did your doctor prescribe it for you? Then you must still have your uterus? That sounds pretty natural.
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM

I am having horrible sleep issues. The *only* way I seem to be able to get to sleep before 2 or 3 am is if I take a pain pill. Obviously, I don't want to do this unless I'm in pain. I've tried everything I can think of...not napping in the day, getting very little sleep the night prior to 'wear me out', taking a hot shower, etc. Last night I even tried having a drink before bed. (I *never* drink, so it should have worked!) Tonight I went to the health food store. She recommended a product called "NutraSleep." I got it and will try it to see. She said it is a good step to try prior to Melatonin. So I'll try it. Also got some Advil PM (since I'm still taking Advil about everyother night anyhow) in case the other stuff doesn't work. I'm tired of being tired...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register