fluid/lower abdomen--DaVinci radical hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fluid/lower abdomen--DaVinci radical hysterectomy fluid/lower abdomen--DaVinci radical hysterectomy

Unread 01-09-2008, 07:14 AM
fluid/lower abdomen--DaVinci radical hysterectomy

I had a DaVinci radical hysterectomy on 12/27 due to endometrial cancer. All seems to be going ok. Four of my incisions are closing and one weeps a little. I haven't been on any pain medication. What is problematic for me now is that I seem to be retaining fluid in my lower abdomen. It feels like jelly. It probably doesn't help that I'm overweight and have had three previous abdominal surgeries (2 C-sections and 1 hernia). Is pooling of fluid normal after DaVinci hysterectomy? I was told that they had to pump fluid in me to do the surgery but that was two weeks ago. Is there anything that I can do to relieve the fluid build-up? Thanks for your help and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
fluid/lower abdomen--DaVinci radical hysterectomy

You may be retaining fluid in the form of a seroma, or there may be pooled blood in your abdominal area -- a hematoma. Neither of these conditions are life-threatening (unless of course they become infected) but it would be worth checking out. An ultrasound can usually detect the pooled fluid.

I can relate to the "jelly" feeling because I had it, too. It turned out I had a large unresolved hematoma, which the doctors drained three times before it was finally surgically removed.

I don't think the sort of surgery really has much to do with the fluid retention... It seems like some people are just more prone to retaining fluid. I actually left the hospital with three surgical drains to help the fluid leave my body, and I still ended up with the hematoma issue.

Do be careful and follow all of your lifting restrictions to the letter. Now's no time to try and overdo things.

to you. Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register