hysterectomy for uterine prolapse? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy for uterine prolapse? hysterectomy for uterine prolapse?

Unread 01-09-2008, 08:01 AM
hysterectomy for uterine prolapse?

I'm having my surgery because of third degree uterine prolapse. It was my idea to do surgery and the doctor thought I was making the right decision. However, as I am closing in on the date, I'm second-guessing everything. I have no pain or disturbing symptoms but was told that I could begin to have infections or ulcerations that could eventually lead to cancer. I also cannot have sex as it is just too painful for me and my husband. What I'm wondering...is anyone else having a hysterectomy for this reason? I would love to hear from someone who feels confident about their decision to have this surgery for this reason. I know I'm beginning to panic because of how close it is getting.....thanks to everyone for listening to my fears! Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM

After many months of painful bleeding and severe back pain, my Dr. determined that I had uterine prolapsed as well. After 2 c-sections and scar tissue he was almost unable to do the biospy. iI am exactly 1 week post op and no back pain and ni bleeding, other than the pain from the surgery everything feels much better.
Good Luck
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:04 AM

I will be having mine on January 31 for the same reasons, though I also have rectal prolapse as well. Is your doctor doing any other repairs for the prolapse, or just the hysterectomy? I only ask because I have to have a uterosacral suspension & posterior repair done along with my hysterectomy.

This was my doctor's suggestion, as he felt it would take an "aggressive approach" now to avoid further complications later. I'm VERY confident that this is the right decision for me, but I've also had a lot of pain along with the discomfort of the prolapse.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM

About 10 weeks after having my son, I felt like my insides were falling out. I took a mirror and took a peak to see my bladder falling through. I am not sure what degree my prolapse was. My doctor said that my vaginal walls were very thin. She put me on Vagifem and told me to try kegels' for a month. I did that and it helped some but not enough. After my surgery, she said that my vaginal walls are like an 80 yr old womens - very very thin! I had my surgery almost 4 weeks ago and I am glad that I did.
Unread 01-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm happy to see that noone has regretted their decision to have the hysterectomy. Makes me feel alot better. My doctor is going to take a look at everything when he is in there and if need be.., attach a mesh to support things. I guess I really don't fully understand everything but I did go see a urologist beforehand and he said that my bladder seemed fine and that he didn't think there would be anything to worry about. However, if it should drop later (as my mom's did about 3 years after the hysterectomy), then I guess he will have to do repairs but they do not do the bladder at the same time as the hysterectomy, as other doctors might. I hope that isn't too confusing. Thanks again for your support!!
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM

I am having my surgery next Monday for prolapsed everything. I will have a repair to push back the bladder and another on the rectum to remove a hernia or pouch. Nothing hurts too badly, no bleeding, just a little back pain once in awhile. I am on Estrace because of the thin vaginal walls. I am 60 so that is probably normal. I am not second guessing myself because if it is hard on me at 60, it would only be harder on me later. My cervix feels like it is hanging out but it just right "there". I am sure that I will feel better when it is all over.

Three 8 pound babies born vaginally and being overweight a good portion of my adult life are probably the cause of my problems.

Good luck.

Downyocean
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:52 PM

I had my surgery due to prolapse also. It's been a few yrs. now and I have no regrets at all. I really feel great!!

I put off my surgery for yrs. because I was so afraid. I started to prolapse in my mid-twenties. If I would have only known what I know now I would have never suffered and waited so long.

Sex for me was also painful because my uterus was down so low it was in the way. Now that it's gone, sex is just AWSOME!!

I never realized how weighed down I felt till after the surgery. Now I feel as light as a feather. Having no more pain is great also.

I can't even begin to tell you how having this surgery as changed my life. I feel like a new person!

I realize that I still have to be careful because I could cause my vagina walls to cave in. My doc. put a wt. rest. on me so I have to be careful about lifting heavy objects.

The surgery was hard I won't lie, but it was well worth it in the end. Good luck to you! Feel free to ask me anything!
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Good luck with your surgery on Monday. I had a big baby too (over 9 pounds) so I think that had something to do with my prolapse. I also smoked and suffered with terrible bronchitis that would land me in the hospital so I guess between those two things..., my muscles couldn't hold up. I will just be glad to have this all behind me! Thanks for your response. Cindy
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM

J.D. Thanks for the uplifting words. It's been way too long for me and my husband (because of pain) and it is great to hear that you have overcome the same problem with the surgery. I will look forward to that for sure! I'm scared to death but anxious to get this over with. Thanks for replying! Cindy
Unread 01-09-2008, 11:34 PM

I had a 10 pound baby 15 years ago, and did a lot of lifting for my job for years. I waited, well my Dr waited to find out the source of my problems, it took years before my HMO Dr sent me to a GYNO to tell me what was really happening.. I jumped on the chance to take the pain away, I hope you dont end up in a place a lot of us sisters did and deal with pain and bleeding that makes you have surgery. You wont be able to get it fast enough!! GOOD LUCK!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register