Does surgical menopause ever end? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does surgical menopause ever end? Does surgical menopause ever end?

Unread 01-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Does surgical menopause ever end?

Just wondering what the difference is between a natural menopause, and a surgical menopause. I know with natural that the hormones gradually cease, but it seems like a lot of ladies (that I know of) do fine, and never get on hrt. Will our surgical menopause be menopause forever. I'm on v.dot, and am just wondering if someday, maybe several years down the road, I'll be able to wean off????
Thanks for your help!
Blessings to all.
Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 09:54 PM

Hi,

I sure hope our symptoms don't last forever.

Natural is where the ovaries gradually wind down and produce less hormones, and surgical is where the ovaries are removed and there is no gradual loss, but immediate loss of hormones which is hard on the body.
I had my surgery almost 5 years ago at the age of 53 and was put on vivelle dot .075. I have weaned down to the lowest .025 , so yes I do think it can get better.

I think it depends on your age, when you have your hyst, and possibly your genetic makeup. We are all different. I have a mother in law that went through natural menopause starting at 42 and had hot flashes through her 60's and refused to take anything. I have another friend who never got them at all and was done at 50 with symptoms.

I hope yours doesn't last long. You can discuss lowering your patch if you choose, with your doctor and see how you do. I tried once or twice in the first two years and I was unable to.

Hang in there

s
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Hi. So glad to have found this thread. I had my surgery in 1994 and have been on Estraderm 0.1 mg patch ever since. I tried to stop it and the hot flashes and sleeplessness came back. I'm hoping to see a new doctor this year and maybe get some more answers.

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 11:55 PM

I'm glad you posted this because I was also wondering about that. I have family that have had hysterectomies but they act like they are too old to remember anything. I hope this eventually ends because I am only 31. I have a dr. appointment tomorrow and I will ask him. I don't want to be on hormones the rest of my life!
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:08 AM

I too am wondering...so if anyone is smarter than me, and knows that there is light at the end of this crazy tunnel....please show mw the light! LOL
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM

I asked my doctor today. He said that it just depends on each person. It's like natural menopause in that it takes awhile. He told me that I need to stay on the hormones because they will help with the side effects. The way he talked this menopause thing could be around for a long time. He wouldn't give me an estimate in years lol! He just told me that I am young, 31, and that this could take some time.
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Re: Does surgical menopause ever end?

I was 40 when I had my hyst. I plan, based on my doctors advice and research that I've done, to keep taking ERT until I am 51 and then taper off. We'll see if this plan works over time. I don't want to take HRT/ERT for more than 10 years.
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:28 PM

I asked my dr and he said it could be a couple of years or it could be ten but he didn't want me to take hrt for more than three years.
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

My MIL went through menopause naturally. She's 90 & still has hot flashes, not on HRT. On the other hand, my Grandma had a hyst with both ovaries removed due to cancer. No HRT, & I don't remember her ever having hot flashes or any side effects. She lived to be 95. I guess anything is possible for anyone.
Unread 11-21-2017, 08:26 PM

It's been a little over ten yrs for me, and I still suffer from hot flashes and night sweats.I took many hrt supplements for over 5 yrs, but finally went cold turkey and STOPPED with the different forms of hrt. The side effects were too great.

Oh, and I do good to get 6 hrs of sleep, a night.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register