night sweats | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-10-2008, 08:20 AM
night sweats

Hello, I'm 3 weeks postop laparoscopic davinci assisted hysterectomy with one ovary saved. I'm having drenching night sweats despite keeping ovary. I tried the Climara patch at both the 0.05 and it worked for a few days. I then tried the .10 dose patch, but can't tolerate the side effects of anxiety, leg cramps and feeling of need to take a deep breath when dozing off along with weird disjointed thoughts. Wondering if anyone knows if this is normal. I took off the patch and am going without hormones, hoping my ovary will kick in and stop the night sweats. That's why I had them save the ovary, to skip the need for hormones. I was encouraged at first thinking the estrogen might help with mood. Now I'm disappointed. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Night Sweats

I've had some trouble with what I call "Night Warms"....I don't necessarily sweat, but I do get very obvious warming sensations. None during the day. I adopted a less-is-more technic. I use just the sheet to start with and keep a light-weight cotton blanket folded back on the bed, along with the down comforter. I add the extra covers as needed through the night and eliminate them when I get too warm.

You might also look into Wicking J sleepwear....it's designed especially for menopause-related night sweats.

This has worked pretty well for the past four months!

Best wishes for a speedy, dry recovery!
Unread 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
night sweats

I to only get "night warm" I started HRT in Dec,Im on Vit Dot 0.05 mg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
night sweats

Night Sweats
Nurselynn, I too had davinci hysterectomy done and had night sweats and hot flashes. I had everything taken out except cervix. I was just starting to have a little bit of these before surgery. I was put on Vivelle Dot patch .05mg when I left the hospital the next day. You might want to call the dr. and tell him about this. There may be an easy thing for you to do that might help. How do you feel about the davinci method of doing this surgery. I am so glad that I had it done that way. I was on my feet and doing things the next day.
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:02 AM
night sweats

Thanks for your input. Yes, I was so very glad I had the Davinici option. I live in a small town and my dr here wouldn't even consider laparoscopic due to my having had 4 csections and one oopharectomy. My CA 125 was elevated and so she referred me to a gynecology oncologist. It wasn't cancer, just more endometriosis with adenomyosis. Surgical report said there was a 45 min delay just to remove tons of adhesions all over the abdomen.
Anyway, they took out the appendix, uterus, cervix and the hemorrhagic cyst. I hope it becomes an option for more women. I am 3 weeks post-op and going back to hospital work tomorrow. My only issue is bladder spasms and this hormonal hell. I went back on the 0.05 patch last night after a melt down of sobbing. What's your experience been? Lynn
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:41 AM
night sweats

I hear you about the hormonal hell. I was only told that everything went fine as far as surgery went. I will see dr on the 28th of Jan. I do know that the surgery was only suppose to last 2 hours and dr had reserved operating room for 3 hours but I was in there 4 hours. I too am having problems with bladder and think it is because of catheter. Going back to work at 3 weeks post op might be too soon. I am a cashier for a grocery/super store and do a lot of lifting and twisting and turning so I decided to stay the full 6 weeks off. Hope that your day at work goes good and you recover quick. Debbie
Unread 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
night sweats

I am 4 1/2 months post op. Kept my ovaries and every night between 3 and 4 am I wake up sweating from neck to toes. I too am wondering what is wrong and when will this end? I never had this before surgery and it's only been happening the last couple of months. I also have intermitten times during the day that I'm suddenly hot. I did not think I would have these problems because I did not lose my ovaries. Any advice and info is greatly appreciated
Unread 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
night sweats

Isn't it strange how everything (night sweats, insomnia, etc...) happens at or about 3 am. Wonder what that is about.
Most nights have trouble going to sleep before 1am then always wake up at about 3 am no matter what I do.
Debbie
Unread 01-16-2008, 07:58 AM
night sweats

I had read that ovaries can shut down or hormonal production can decrease due to no longer having 50% of your blood supply from the uterine atery. I have turned to estrogen replacement despite having my ovary. I am only about 4 weeks post-op and will have my estrogen levels checked when I go in for my 6 week check. You might want to have your hormone levels checked. Its a simple blood test. I have noticed a reduction in night sweats since acheiving the right dosage of the Climara patch. Be careful with the OTC soy products as they can sometimes compete with your receptors for estrogen production. Lynn
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
night sweats

I'm six weeks post-op (TAH - no uterus/cervix or ovaries). I have been taking Primarin (.625 mg) since week two. I think that I have discovered that the time of day I take my estrogen makes a difference in my sleep success, and also that the estrogen may absorb better if not taken at the same time I take other medications.

- I started out taking the estrogen in the morning with my thyroid pill... but then started feeling really weird (dry skin, loss of hair, night sweats, fatigue).
- So, I split it up and took my thyroid pill in the morning and estrogen at night... but then couldn't fall asleep very easily and once I finally did, I woke up at 3am without fail - very irritated!
- For the past 10 days, I've taken my thyroid pill in the morning, and my estrogen with lunch. I'm feeling much better and have slept soundly four nights in a row with no wake ups!

I have my six week post-op appt. on Monday and will ask my doctor to confirm that the timing of the estrogen and the combination with other meds makes a difference.

Something to think about... I'll provide an update after my appt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register