The upside of surgical menopause? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The upside of surgical menopause? The upside of surgical menopause?

Unread 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Thumbs up - The upside of surgical menopause? The upside of surgical menopause?

I am two days post op, had a hysterectomy in '04 but kept my remaining good ovary for the hormone benefits. I had three solid years of pain and cancer screenings for cysts and enlargement in the ovary. Good news it is gone and it looked cancer free!
I know everyone has different stories to share about the sudden onset of menopause but I would love to hear the positives too! While I brace myself for the hot flashes I hope there is some good coming my way too!
Yetagain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM
The upside of surgical menopause?

Hi Yetagain,

It has been 4 months since surgery and I believe I'm balance at the moment. I hope it continues. It was a bit of a rough road at first with tweaking the hormones and anxiety. Anyway I feel balanced pretty much now and the one really positive thing I have noticed with out ovaries is that I don't have ups and downs like I did before surgery. I feel level and it feels good. I don't get pms sysmptoms like I did before surgery. I feel the same all the time now, that has been really nice. I'll probable be on hormones for a while and I have been on the same dose for about a month and half or 2 months. It's been good to not be up and down so much and sleep has been so much better. I hope you get to the good part soon. Good Luck.
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Yetagain:

I hope you find that your decision to have your remaining ovary removed is beneficial. For me, life in surgical menopause is a life with less pain and some new, yet comparatively small challenges.

My urinary system is more fussy. My skin is probably drier. I think my grey hair and wrinkle appearance has accelerated. I've gladly traded these new things for the old awful pain I was in.

So, in the end, its a different path than the one you were on and any some cases (like mine) a much improved path!!!

Remember to take care of you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM

I have a couple of friends who are 10 and 15 years older than me, and they are hitting peri- and regular menopause right now. I keep thinking that it was great to know what was going on when I went through surgical menopause, and to start at zero with hormone replacement, instead of just feeling a tiny bit crummier every day for five years, and trying to balance the functioning of ovaries that are sort of sputtering.

I see my friends' struggles with losing their hormonal function a little at a time, and it seems much more difficult than waking up one day with nothing. They never know one month to the next if their period will come, and they get the occasional hot flash, but never enough to do anything about it, so they just suffer.

It's sort of like that frog in the boiling water analogy. I jumped in the boiling water, got hot, jumped out and got myself some hormones. They're simmering because it sort of sneaked up on them.
Unread 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM

I knew you all would have a bright side to focus on. Thanks! I do hope my grey hair speeds up. I have been going grey slowly for 20 years and I am allergic to hair dyes. Feeling "even" sounds fabulous, fewer ups and downs!
I really am relieved to be free of the nagging cyst monster and looking forward to being pain free. I am a bit anxious for the hot flashes to start, doc said it would be about a week after surgery. Won't decide on hormones until I see what I get to deal with.
Unread 01-10-2008, 04:47 PM

I feel much like hummingbird. It's been four months for me as well, and I have truly not had any "major" symptoms. I have had to tweak hormones. As long as I'm on tri-est, I'm fine. I too, feel the stability. Prior to my hyst, apart from the pain from adeno, I was up and down all the time -- and the headaches....! I have truly not cried but once or twice and I truly feel "up" most days (with the exception of the headaches from the wrong hrt)
The best is yet to come if your experience is anything like mine.
Best of luck!
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:37 AM

I"m 5 weeks post op and so far have only had very few warm flushes. No headaches at all. I am noticing that my skin is drier, but it not breaking out.
I'm not currently on HRT, but if this is the worst of it, I may not use it.

LSH 12/3/07
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:46 AM

I am 3 weeks post op TAHBSO stage 4 endometriosis. Went in for a LSH, what a present I got!!! I color my hair so the gray will remain hidden, I am pretty good at taking care of m y skin, so I will step up the vigilance, I will eat better and be sure to get my vitamins and calcium supplements and get my butt back to the gym. Because of the endo my doc wants to wait as long as possible for any HRT so I will need to monitor and report whats going on . I had some hot spells before I even had the surgery so I was already on my way at age 47 anyhow. My pathology report was good and now at least I can move forward with the notion that at this time all appears well, I am better without the endo and sticky parts, and looking forward to the next stage of womanhood....there is more to life than cramps, motrin, tampons and chocolate... - Suzyq
Unread 01-14-2008, 09:22 AM
hrt

I am one week from LAVH, the entire procedure was a breeze. I have estratest but have not started taking it. My doctor said to start when I had symptoms. I had hot flashes and difficulty sleeping before. I wonder if I should start taking them before I go back to work?? I have not had any emotional issues yet but dont' want them to start.
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM
One Week and waiting?

One week today and still nothing "problematic" I do have a headache but that is pretty standard for me. I did go to the gym and walk 4 miles today, I usually run 5 miles a day and doc said take at least two weeks off from the running.
So far the only real change I have noticed is my eating is little out of control, always had the urge to graze all day when I was PMSing and this seems very similar the past day or two.
I am looking for my silver lining and hoping for the best!

Hope everyone else is having a great day!

Yetagain

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register