Issues with Food???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Issues with Food???? Issues with Food????

Unread 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Issues with Food????

Ok, I am really having a hard time staying away from food! Before surgery, I was at the gym 5 days a week, and ate a very controlled diet. The first two weeks after surgery were great nothing seemed to change. Now I just cant seem to stop eating! I am having sugar cravings like crazy, and have gained about 3 lbs. Which I know 3 lbs. doesnt sound like much, but I recently lost 60 lbs. and have kept it off for 2 years. I am hoping some of that is still swellly belly, but doubt it! Is anyone else having the same food issues? With not being able to exercise I am really freaking out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Issues with Food????

Oh yes, I'm struggling to stop filling my face!!! First 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, I was having to remind myself to eat...and starting on Monday I'm struggling to stay out of the kitchen!!!! And it the quick fix things, like bread & peanut butter that I keep going for. Between the swelly belly and the eating I'm terrified to get on the scale!!!!
Unread 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Issues with Food????

Yes, the last 2 weeks I have been absolutely out of control with eating. I thought maybe it was because there was all that holiday food available, but it continues this week and I feel like I need to stop NOW!

I was really nauseous and didn't eat much during weeks 3-7 postop, but boy am I making up for lost time now. I've gained back the 5 pounds I lost, so I guess technically I'm not really in trouble yet (and actually my doctor was pleased that I put the weight back on even if I wasn't too happy). If I keep eating like this, however, I'm going to regain the 18 pounds I lost earlier this year. The weird thing is I am craving foods that I normally would not even eat -- like cheddar cheese and huge amounts of sweets (I normally tend more toward salty). Every day I promise myself I am going to get back on track and every afternoon I blow it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Issues with Food????

Tammy36 & CAmich,
It is soooo nice to know I am not alone! I was afraid no one would respond! I knew I would get my appetite back after the first few weeks, but this is ridiculous! I too tell myself that tomorrow I will do better, not! I feel for you, I hope this crazy munching will end for us soon! I feel bad that I am worrying about my weight. Keep me updated on how you are doing!
Unread 01-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Issues with Food????

OH - I'm right there with y'all! I don't even want to know if I've gained weight.

I have a theory - My DH has been doing the shopping, and has been buying quick fix things. He buys little debbies for Crying out loud!!!! How can you be in the house all day long with bagles, cheesecake flavored cream cheese, little debbie brownies, and white chocolate covered pretzels without eating?????? Oh - and even the quick fix real food - Chicken pot pies! OMG - I never knew how good they were - (But, there are over 600 calories in each one )...Plus all this following the holidays! AGH!

I will be sooooo glad when I can get these processed foods flushed out of my body, and get back to the controlled diet and exercising!
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Issues with Food????

lackoftact,
I wish you the best, hopefully you will be able to go with your DH next time he shops! I can only blame myself, I have been going with my DH! I need some WILLPOWER!
Unread 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Issues with Food????

That's funny, it's just the opposite in our house. When my husband was doing the shopping, it was all whole grain, fresh and healthy. I'm the one who buys the junky stuff like sugar-sweetened cereal, chips, and white bread. I don't necessarily eat it, but I just like to buy it because I never had it growing up and NOW I buy it just because I can. I guess maybe I should let my husband do the grocery shopping again -- the food is so healthy and boring, I won't eat it! Now I'm hungry for anything Little Debbie!
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Issues with Food????

do you have your ovaries and if not are you on HRT? wonky hormones can cause food cravings like mad.

also try to remember that your body is healing right now and could probably use some extra calories here and there to help the process.

your weight gain could be water retention. could be plain old fat. or just a daily fluctuation. after surgery my weight fluctuated by 6-10 pounds depending on the day and how much salt i ate and water i drank.

go easy on yourself. congrats on losing 60 pounds that is fantastic!! keep on feeding yourself the healthy foods so you won't go too far off your plan. an extra apple and peanut butter is better than an ice cream sundae.

try to keep in mind that your body will heal and you will return to the gym and the diet. you don't have to lose total control. things will get better.
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Issues with Food????

I've been craving (and eating!) junk the past 2 weeks also. The first 2 weeks I barely had an appetite and definitely no cravings and these past 2 weeks, I constantly feel hungry and craving really bizarre things (for me) also. I am chalking it up to wonky hormones, as peppermint_tea suggested. I weighed in at the gym today when I went for my 15 minute "walk" on the treadmill and I'm actually down a few pounds from pre-surgery but that's probably just all the muscle loss. Things are feeling very soft and squishy. Oh well.....plenty of time to get strong again when the healing is done!
Unread 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Issues with Food????

Hi There I Think By The Sounds Of It We Must All Go Through These Food Cravings Im Now 7 Weeks Post Op And Cant Stop Eating. I Was A Very Small Eater Before My Op Im Only Very Small Framed And Always Weighed About 7 Stone I Use To Have 1 Meal A Day And Be Full For The Rest Of The Day But Now I Find Myself Eating All Day I Dont Mind Cause People Say I Look Better For It But I Know Will Lose It When I Go Back To Work Dont Worry About Putting Weight On Ladies We Deserve A Good Old Treat After Our Big Ops Big Hugs To You All

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register