Turning the Corner | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Turning the Corner Turning the Corner

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Turning the Corner

I desperately hope I'm not alone, but with a couple exceptions (insomnia is the worst of it), I'm feeling great just over three weeks out. I feel like I've turned that "corner" I've heard women talk about.

What about the rest of you? I hope we all experience this, but I'm wondering how soon it happens for most or how long it can take. For awhile I felt I was moving two steps forward/one step back, so I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I've felt great the last couple of days. Not only do I feel like I'm really healing physically, but I also feel more emotionally and mentally stable.

I hope you can all join me (soon)!
MJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Turning the Corner

I have turned many corners. By all rights, I should be living in an octogon+ shaped house, LOL! I think my first turn was 2 weeks and 2 days, followed by another each week thereafter. I was defintely feeling that I was taking two steps forward, 1 back for a while. I am now in week 6 and it's more like 2 steps forward and a quarter step back. I keep telling myself that I feel better each day than I did the day before, and much better each week than the week before. It's true, and it's a positive reminder of my progress.
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Turning the Corner

hi! i was surprised at how good i felt 12 hours after LAVH... walking, pee-ing, 24 hours my first bm, pain was very manageable with motrin... although i had vaginal packing for the first 18 hours that was pretty uncomfortable! i even asked my sisters about that but they both said they were pretty knocked out for a few days after their LAVH surgeries so they didn't know what i was talking about! i say good for them! it wasn't fun!

week 3 gave me a bacterial infection that caused great discomfort but really, aside from that this has been a surprisingly comfortable recovery! yes, most days i nap but i figure it's all the internal healing that needs my body to lay still and rest!

lots of fluids, a good fiber filled diet, lots and lots of tea (it's like aromatherapy to me!) i just started taking iron supplements again so i hope that a couple of weeks down the road i have that little energy addition too!

it's nice to know there are others out there that are having good recoveries too! thanks for posting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Turning the Corner

I am 3 days out from my operation. I had a TVH. I haven't had a BM yet, but aside from the swelly Belly and some minor pain, I am feeling very good. It helps to have family to come over to help.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Turning the Corner

I'm almost at 4 weeks out, and I felt good enough to ride my horse this week. DH stayed close, but I felt good. It did feel strange when we went a little faster. Kind of like things still felt loose inside. Minimal soreness the next day (expected worse, since muscles haven't been used.
I also got out last weekend and did some major walking in the country. I was sore after that, but I think it was more from wearing jeans. Once I thought to unzip driving home I didn't have the pain.
Anyway, for feeling so much better and getting back the energy I didn't have for the past few months, this morning I woke with fever, aches and sinus pain. At least it waited until I was feeling better from the surgery. Now DH will really get sick of taking care of me.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Turning the Corner

Hi,

I'm four weeks out from a SAH and I'm feeling almost back to normal. I felt great starting around 3 weeks out too and I feel better every day. I feel as if I'm moving freely and I have all my energy back. I 've been doing some work from home and walking outside a lot during the day, so far so good. I think following all of the good advice on this website has really helped in my recovery.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Turning the Corner

You know, ladies, it seems we're doing better than some. Though I feel bad for those having a tougher time recuperating, I have to celebrate my own good fortune, and I'm glad I can share it!

I just feel so much better than before the surgery. I apparently just didn't realize how much my pain was affecting my daily life.

Keep fingers crossed for our sisters; I'm sending good vibes!
MJ
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Turning the Corner

I had my TAH/BSO 3 weeks ago today. As of two days ago, I was feeling depressed, like I wasn't getting much better, but yesterday I woke up feeling MUCH better physically AND emotionally/mentally. Today I went to lunch with friends, and even to dinner and movie with DH tonight!! I'm SO happy! Although I AM feeling worn-out now, I just finally feel like I'm really on the mend. Like I finally "turned the corner"! It's been a MUCH slower heal than I thought it would be. I still haven't felt good enough to drive and go out on my own, but I'm thinking maybe I can very soon!! yea!
Unread 01-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Turning the Corner

I'm glad you started this thread because this is exactly how I feel. Some days I feel GREAT. I had my first "turn around the corner" 2 weeks out. This past week (last Tues. was 3 weeks) has just been a series of ups and downs, both physically & emotionally. Thankfully, I work w/wonderful people who are VERY understanding when I say I just need to go home......not exactly easy when you're a school teacher and they have to scramble to find someone to fill in. The strangest part has been the emotions........yesterday, I felt fine physically, but just had this overwhelming urge to cry. Since I was at school, I managed to keep it stuffed, but may not stuff it today!

Reading this thread has made me feel better though because I thought maybe something was wrong w/me, but evidently it's just part of the "party."

Overall, I feel HUGELY better than I did before the surgery, so I still don't regret having the surgery it all. Just needing to get my energy level back to normal (whatever that is.....since my energy levels were so out of whack before surgery!)

And yes, I do feel badly for those who are having a harder time of it. You all are in my prayers!
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Turning the Corner

I'm 3 weeks out too. I haven't even been able to think about my TAH for all the muscle discomfort I've had from a major muscle repair during my tummy tuck. The only evidence that I'd had a hyster was the little bit of spotting I had for 2+ weeks. Now that I'm doing better in the ab dept, I'm feeling depressed, teary even now. Perhaps I am now finally coming to grips with the hyster?

Or it's my ovaries being weird.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register