Ovaries: When is it no longer just "shock"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries: When is it no longer just "shock"? Ovaries: When is it no longer just "shock"?

Unread 01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Ovaries: When is it no longer just "shock"?

If you kept your ovaries, how long does it take for them to settle down? I had the usual postop "shock" the first 2 weeks but then it seemed to go back to normal until 8 weeks postop. Now it seems like I'm having all kinds of "menopausal" symptoms to a mild degree. I don't want to jump the gun. Should everything be settled by now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Good question.

We are all different, so there is really no set marker of time for our ovaries to be fully functioning after surgery.

Mine were obviously not functioning the first 2 months postop, then they were singing along, just like before...............I was very aware of monthly cycling with swollen breasts, increased hunger, etc., just like before surgery.........the 9 days before I was supposed to have a period. One year postop, however, I lost all ovarian functioning after a long illness. Started hrt........bioidenticals.

Now, at almost 4 years postop, the "girls" kick in every now and then........totally upsetting my balance for awhile.

There are blood tests your physician can order......estrogen levels and FSH............to get an idea of what your ovaries are doing. There are also saliva tests............a compounding Pharmacist can guide you to the saliva testing method, sent to a reliable laboratory.

This is a real education, learning about just how intricate, complicated, yet simply these bodies of ours function.
Take care.........................Deb
Unread 01-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks, Fibroid Woman. I actually started making notations on my calendar about a month ago, trying to determine if there was any pattern. As far as I can tell, there is no cyclic nature.

What's interesting is that around 7 weeks postop I went to see my regular doctor because of all these symptoms of dizziness, fatigue, cold intolerance, etc., thinking it must be related to my thyroid or something else and had blood tests done. Everything came back normal. I'd had no hot flashes or nightsweats for a month, so I figured everything had kicked in at 2 weeks. Then the other day I was reading about the "35 symptoms of menopause" online, and discovered that most of the things I had been complaining about were on that list. Now I'm wondering if they ever really kicked in to begin with.

I guess I'll give it another month to see where this goes or maybe try one of those tests you can try at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM

Mich -

I lost an ovary with my 2nd surgery and had really awful sweats and hot flashes. They didn't ease up for about 6 weeks. Even then, to a lessor degree I still had symptoms. Dr said give it time.

I also was having issues with mild nausea and that only left in the past month or so.

For the most part things are now back to normal but every now and then I have a 'warming flash' and I notice then that night I have trouble sleeping. And I agree, I couldn't track a pattern so I stopped trying.

At 3 months, I would have taken odds I would be on hormones for the new year. I would have been wrong.

It can be hard to sort out when we need to wait things out and when we need to try hormonal options. I don't think there is a right answer, just the one that works best in the end.

Best wishes

Julie
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:04 PM

I have the same thing going on. My GYN doesn't seem to think my ovaries are in shock. I am getting thyroid tests done Friday.
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:18 AM

Julie, I relate a lot to your post. I cant stand the night sweats and hot/cold flashes. Also, the nausea kicked in today. Great. Is there anything my dr can do to help??? I am 11 days post op. I know that is not very long but this is unbearable.
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:40 AM

CMW -

I don't know that there is anything they will do short order. I think the issue is if you go on hormones (quick thought right is it will provide relief until the body kicks in?) then when they do kick in your levels are too too high and you might not know it and that increases other risks.

I do have a chillow and used it quite a bit this summer. DH a couple of times would hear me curse under my breath and 'know' and reach down for me and grab it off the foot board. I don't think they realize its those 'little things' we appreciate more than anything in the world.

I tried to remind myself this was all part of recovery (and why I was off work). Just a foot note to myself, I wouldn't go through this again in the middle of summer. lol!

For the nausea, I avoided anything greasy (and that was good because Fast Food is still pretty out of my diet where it used to be a staple) and I sip peppermint tea as it seems to help. I also found sometimes taking a couple slow deep breaths helped ease it.

You know being so early in your recovery, nausea could have other indications (infection and overdoing it) so you might want to self-evaluate and maybe even talk to your Dr about that.

Best qishes on your continued recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register