totally confused about natural progesterone verses synthetic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

totally confused about natural progesterone verses synthetic totally confused about natural progesterone verses synthetic

Unread 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
totally confused about natural progesterone verses synthetic

My doc prescribed synthetic progesterone. When I read up on it the side effects are endless. I have a long history of depression. I am thinking natural is the way to go. I would appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM

(((sandusky))) can you tell us what you mean by synthetic progesterone? Do you mean some type of progestin? All "natural" progesterone is actually synthetic in that it's made from soy or wild yam sources in a lab/factory, but I'm thinking you mean a different molecule than progesterone - those are called progestins. Some example would be Provera or Megace or Aygestin.

With a history of depression, actually I would be cautious about using natural progesterone, as too much of it can cause (or worsen) depression. Is there a reason your DR feels you need it?

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:05 AM

I agree that synthetic is probably better if you suffer from depression. I just recently tried to switch from synthetic to a natural progesterone, and while I did sleep better my mood was out of control. I was angry and sad all the time. For some reason I didn't feel like that on the synthetic. Go figure. I would definitely have thought it would have been the opposite. If I were you I would try the synthetic. By the way it is the same stuff the put in BCP. In fact the synthetic progesterone I was given is actually the BCP they give women who are breastfeeding. So if you ever took the pill and were ok with it you will probably be ok with what you were prescribed. If you have problems with it then by all means call your doctor and get something else. Good luck.
Janelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe
(((sandusky))) can you tell us what you mean by synthetic progesterone? Do you mean some type of progestin? All "natural" progesterone is actually synthetic in that it's made from soy or wild yam sources in a lab/factory, but I'm thinking you mean a different molecule than progesterone - those are called progestins. Some example would be Provera or Megace or Aygestin.

With a history of depression, actually I would be cautious about using natural progesterone, as too much of it can cause (or worsen) depression. Is there a reason your DR feels you need it?

s,
-Linda
I have a question why does natural progesterone worsen depression compared to synthetic? I have recently decreased my nat. prog. because I was feeling a bit sluggish. Should I switch to synthetic? Any thoughts?
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM

They each have pros and cons. For women who have had a hysterectomy, the big con for progestins is that the WHI study data showed an increased risk of breast cancer in women who used Prempro (Premarin plus the progestin Provera) which didn't occur in women on Premarin alone. For most of us, that increased risk is not worth any possible benefit of taking it; the exception can be women with an endo history because the progestins can help prevent regrowth of endo after surgery.

If you don't have a history of endo and don't absolutely have to take any sort of progestin or progesterone, then I would just decrease the progesterone dose (or even stop it entirely) and not bother taking a synthetic progestin.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks Linda for the advice. That was helpful. I think I'll just stay on the low dose I'm taking or quit it all together if I'm too sluggist. I appreciate your thoughts. Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register