4 weeks post op question bladder sling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post op question bladder sling 4 weeks post op question bladder sling

Unread 01-12-2008, 07:08 AM
4 weeks post op question bladder sling

Okay so I had the TVT bladder sling done, and I have a question. My hubsand and I were just feeling around to see why I felt irritated inside, he said that their is a place just inside to the right that feels like it might be a stich, well its been 2 1/2 weeks since the first time we checked, now I am 4 weeks out and its still there and it hurts and I felt inside and it feels like mesh or metal? What in the world would it be, could it be that mesh they put in for the sling? Has it gotten messed up? I did have a lot of straing when I had to have a bm the first time, and now that I think about it I am scared to death that I have messed it up/ I also was really sick week 2 throwing up . Thanks for any help ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2008, 07:28 AM

I wish I could help you, but my advice would be to ask your dr. Better safe than sorry.
Unread 01-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Hi Traci
Don't panic, it could just be a stitch. There are some of them that are the consistency of fishing line. I had a couple of those knots that surfaced just inside my vagina and I had to have them clipped out. My dr said he has seen that type of suture up to a year later, still not disolved.

There is a possibility you are feeling mesh, but it will usually cover over with flesh, as do those rough stitches in time. The repairs can take a little longer to heal. Call your dr and ask to have it checked. There is no sense worrying needlessly. Let us know what you find out.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Traci,
Try not to be scared....you're probably fine. Of course I got back on this forum today after "feeling something not right" down there and I'm now thinking it might stitches. From what I've read you could have 100's of stitches depending on what you had done. I was feeling so good and have gotten kinda over zealous about doing everything I used to do (like picking up my 25 lb. daughter)...and after reading through posts on this forum I realize I need to slow down.

I did call an on-call doctor about 2 weeks post op about an unusual, painful lump/abscess I discovered. She said that it could be the sling protruding...but if really something "bad" was going on like infection or rejection of sling you would have other symptoms (i.e., fever, vomiting, urination problems, etc.). I'm embarrassed to say it turned out to be ingrown hairs!
Unread 01-12-2008, 04:50 PM

Tracia26d,

If you're concerned, then by all means I would make an appointment to see your doctor. I had anterior repairs with a TOT(Transorbertor) bladder sling. When I went in for my 6wk check up my doctor told me that she could still see some of the stitches from my surgery. I still am not able to lift anything 30 lbs or more. The irritation you are feeling may some of those stitches still in there. My doctor told me that she had put ALOT of stitches in me when she did my surgery and being able to see and feel them even now was normal. However, if in doubt check it out! Remember that you may look awesome on the outside but it will take your internal body at least 6monts to a full year to completely recover! I wish the very best for you in your recovery process, and please take care of your self!

Bobbie in Idaho
TVH, anterior repairs w/TOT bladder sling and kept the O's!
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:26 AM

About two months after my TAH and TVT, I thought i still had a stitch, so I called my Dr and they scheduled to take a look. It felt like it was just inside (maybe from fingertip to the bottom of my fingernail) and on the front side of the vaginal wall.
Well it turned out to be some exposed meshing. The Dr put me on premium cream (sp?) for a month, but it was still there. So he scheduled a day surgery to try to snip a bit of it and cover the rest with a flap of skin. It has been almost two weeks since the day surgery and today in the shower I snuck a feel, and could not feel any meshing!
So, I say call your Dr and when you go in for the exam, you may need to talk him through the exam to help pinpoint where the "stitch" is (as my Dr had a hard time finding it because the gloves he wore hindered his ability to feel it). If it is a stitch, the Dr can just snip it out. If it is mesh, there are options the Dr can offer to take care of it. Most likely s/he will start you on the cream for a month or so; so start this as soon as possible so you don't prolong the discinfort any longer than necessary.
Good luck and don't worry. You've made it this far, you'll be fine.
How are youy liking the overall results of the TVT? I am absolutelu thrilled! I have had allergies since the surgery and am amazed at how I can stand while sneezing and not wet myself!
Let us know what the Dr finds.
Rose
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:05 PM

Okay I called the doctor and they got me right in that day and the doctor took a look and said that it is the sling its sticking out about a inch and he could see it really well, he said he didn't want to do anything with it just yet, I am going back in 2 weeks and he said he will trim it up for me, he told me its very common, he said he had a lady have to come back in 3 times to have it trimmed, so he wants me to wait 2 weeks and that will put me at my 6 week mark and I should be all healed everywhere and he will fix me right up. THank you all for calming my fears. I am so glad I went in to see the doctor! I did ask him if the sling sticiking out like it is would be causing the yellowish discharge I am having still and he said it could be, I am still wearing a panty liner, I am so ready to be FREE of them! LOL!

So is it painful to have the sling trimmed for those of you that have had to have this done, he said we would do it right there in his office. I just forgot to ask if it would hurt. LOL , I have lost my memory since surgery! LOL!
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:24 PM

I've read about some of the ladies here saying it was rather painful when they did it in the office. When my Dr suggested taking care of mine, HE was the one to suggest trimming it while in a twilight sleep.
Good luck in what you decide.
Rose
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:17 PM

Traci,
So glad to hear you got things checked out and it sounds like you'll get it taken care of.

I was feeling good at about 4 weeks but by 6 I've been feeling something "not quite right" ...my 6 week appt is next week since my Dr. is out of town but I'm SO anxious to get in to thr Dr. to make sure everything is OK. I did do some exploring and I felt something bulging and lumpy (don't know how to describe?)....it could be normal I have no idea? I know they did a lot of work down there and I know it can take awhile for all the healing. At 4 weeks I was kinda ready to resume normal activity...but now I'm not. I really hope this is normal?
K

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register