is anyone on HRT losing their hair???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is anyone on HRT losing their hair???? is anyone on HRT losing their hair????

Unread 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM
is anyone on HRT losing their hair????

Okay, I can take the dry skin, the sleepless nights, the strange thing I call my body since surgery, but now I seem to be shedding hair like crazy! Anyone else find this happened post-op or because of HRT?
K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2008, 02:06 PM

I do have some shedding after every surgery, but it's not related to my HRT. It's a function of the anesthesia and other drugs I've gotten for the surgery.

Some women do experience hair loss on HRT if they are not on the right type or dosage for them. Others find their thyroid goes out of whack after the surgery, and that can cause hair loss as well.

You are still quite newly post op, so it's possible yours might be due to the anesthesia, but I would suggest talking with your DR about this.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:39 PM

My hair seems thinner too! I am not on HRT. I kept my ovaries.

Surferbabe - I lost alot of weight after my surgery. 10lbs - but I only weighed 112, so for me that is alot! So far I haven't been able to gain any back and I'm 9+ weeks out. I look awful at the 102 lbs I'm at now. I'm so frustrated and I've been wondering about my thyroid. If your thyroid does go out of whack and cause things like weight & hair loss will it come back on it's own? Does a person need to see the Dr?

Thanks,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2008, 08:36 PM

(((Starbgirl))) I really think you need to see your DR, especially since you lost almost 10% of your body weight.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-12-2008, 11:08 PM

Hair loss is one of the symptoms that took me to my doctor in the first place and it turned out that in addition to the symptoms that lead me to a hysterectomy, I also have a thyroid problem. I started taking meds for this about a month before my hysterectomy and am now taking estrogen, too. My hairloss has decreased significantly.

Check out the symptoms of a thyroid problem (dry skin, hair loss and insomnia are all in there) and talk to your doctor about it if you think you may have a problem.
Unread 01-13-2008, 02:49 PM

I am on premarin ..0625 and my hair was shedding badly--I added 2 vitamins to my list of vitamins I take--Folic acid and Hair, Nails and skin complex--most big vitamin stores sell it. It has helped a lot--my nails are now growing like crazy, but I am not complaining about that!! Good Luck!
Unread 01-13-2008, 03:15 PM

Great, thanks so much for the info, I'll give it a shot - bald is not my best look!
K
Unread 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Hey Starbgirl, did you talk to your doc about the wieght loss?
K
Unread 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM

i am not on hrt but a while back, my hair was falling out quite a bit and it was found to be caused by a b12 deficiency...just a thought.
Unread 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Hi Kwinner ~

Bald is not my best look either - LOL!! I have thin hair to begin with so I was glad you posted this. I was thinking about doing it. I do remember the same thing happening after I gave birth so I was hoping it was hormonal and would straighten itself out.

My Dr. knew I lost the weight. I had vaginal cuff cellulitis after my TVH so I really was feeling badly, hence the weight loss. He was very concerned that I gain it back. When I saw him at my 6 weeks which was a little early I didn't think it would be any problem. I thought that now that I was feeling better it would come right back. So I've been surprised and frustrated that it has not. I do like the vitamin idea. I don't take any currently so I'm going to go get some of those hair ones. I'll check to ensure it has B12 also.

In any case if I don't start to gain soon I guess I'll have to go back. I sick of Dr's right now so I'm not looking forward to that

Oh and my friends have always teased me that when I'm a little old lady I'll be one of those with the skinny arms and legs and a little pot belly - well after losing this weight and with my little swelly belly somedays I look in the mirror and think they may be right! Wah!!

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register