Returning to work jitters? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work jitters? Returning to work jitters?

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Returning to work jitters?

now thats the outcome im hoping for on thursday- healed like a champ. keep your fingers crossed for me. Your right sitting at the computer is like you said a piece of cake, i do it to much too at home too. But ive read all the books i have right now and tv i can do without.
Im biting the bullet for an all clear-within reason- on the exercise thing too. did you have cervix removed too? just wondering how that plays into the all clear- bouncing around etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:33 AM

I am heading back tomorrow as well. I am a paraprofessional in middle school and am on my feet most of the day. I was going back next week half days but the county doesn't "allow" any restrictions. So, I said, "See ya on the 14th!" I am so glad I did!
It has been so amazing to me during this time period how just 7 days can make a big difference! From week 1 -----devastation--- to week 2--- going out to eat ---to week three ---can I survive without my DH at home???!!! to week 4--- etc.
This past week also made a big difference. I feel more like my old self and don't have as many "twinges" reminding me that I had major surgery. My advice--take as much time off as you possibly can-If I could, I would have taken 8 weeks.
Good luck sisters!
Unread 01-13-2008, 10:43 AM

Karen,

I am so happy to read an upbeat "return to work" message! I am hoping to return after 2 weeks out. I have a desk job - management job - so no heavy physical work involved. I thought I could easily return then and the doctor is fine with it. After reading all the difficulties people have returning, it is scaring me a little. I am impressed you are trying aerobics so soon! Let me know how it goes! I figure, as long as I am off the pain meds I should be able to stay awake enough to work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit&ready
now thats the outcome im hoping for on thursday- healed like a champ. keep your fingers crossed for me. Your right sitting at the computer is like you said a piece of cake, i do it to much too at home too. But ive read all the books i have right now and tv i can do without.
Im biting the bullet for an all clear-within reason- on the exercise thing too. did you have cervix removed too? just wondering how that plays into the all clear- bouncing around etc.

Yes, I had my cervix removed too, although a small portion of it remains. Apparently, in addition to having an enlarged uterus, I also had an elongated cervix, which made complete removal difficult. There is a small portion of it that is still there, which means I'll still have to have a pap smear annually
Unread 01-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell25
Karen,

I am so happy to read an upbeat "return to work" message! I am hoping to return after 2 weeks out. I have a desk job - management job - so no heavy physical work involved. I thought I could easily return then and the doctor is fine with it. After reading all the difficulties people have returning, it is scaring me a little. I am impressed you are trying aerobics so soon! Let me know how it goes! I figure, as long as I am off the pain meds I should be able to stay awake enough to work!

Theresa,

I'm a firm believer that attitude plays a huge roll in recovery. I went into this well informed on what to expect, and I'm maintained that "positive can do spirit" thoughout! My DH said "I've not heard you complain once" and I've honestly tried my best at stay positive and do exactly what my doctor asked me to do. When I went in for my post op this past Thursday, she told me I had healed more like a 6-7 week post op patient, as opposed to a 3 1/2 week patient. Prior to the surgery, I worked out like a demon too, and ate extremely healthy, so that my body would react positively to the operation. Chalk it up to a positive attitude, a healthy lifestyle, good genes, mixed with a little bit of luck. Whatever the reason, at this point, other than a touch of trouble sleeping, I feel awesome and I'm ready to get back out there!
Unread 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM

When I went for my 2 week post-op, the nurse practitioner kinda let me decide if I felt I was up to going back to work or not. I felt GREAT that particular day and didn't think I could justify staying home any longer. Well, I'm wishing I'd given myself a little more grace. It's hard to explain to people, "Well, on that day, I felt great. Today, I don't feel so great." Most of you know it's a day by day thing. As I've said before, though, I work w/a great very understanding group of people. I just don't want to take advantage of their understanding & patience.

Good luck to those of you returning for the 1st time this week! Take it easy!!!!!
Unread 01-14-2008, 06:09 AM

probably last week off and now it seems so short- already. On a good note, i got a really supportive email from a co-worker this morning! She and another feel my job is secure- even amongst unrest going on at my workplace. Its so nice to hear those things when going back is getting closer.
I agree a positive attitude it was helps us heal!

I see some people have mentioned on other threads the need for a pillow. Im assuming they mean to sit on? have any of you with desk jobs found this helpful and how do you manage to bring that in to work with out looking- uh well- stupid?
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:13 AM

My LAH was on 12/12 - I went back in for emergency surgery on 12/25 for vaginal cuff repair. I go this Friday 18th for my 6 week post op and I am scheduled to return to work 1/22. My doctor actually cleared me to go earlier but I KNEW I was not ready. My mind is just now starting to clear and I still tire very easily.
I think the best piece of advice for us girls returning to work is to LISTEN to your body!!!! If you feel tired - rest. If you can't sit for pro longed times - get up and walk around. Continue taking care of yourself as closely as you can as you did at home. Drinks lots of fluid. And don't be afraid to say NO to lifting!!!
Remember - you can give your 100% (as you always have) when you are fully recovered. At this time you have to think of yourself and your body 1st.

God bless!
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:26 AM

I'm back at work today also. I can feel your pain, I was really nervous about coming back too. So far, so good. Everyone has been so nice so far. I plan on taking it really easy so I don't tire out too quick. My prayers go out to everyone that's going back to work after this.
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Returning to work jitters

Went back Monday 1/7

I was very worried about going back to work, I work in a very large retail store we do all of our own stocking. You would think that because it is in clothing, How heavy could it be?!? but alot of it is heavy.

Anyway, it went very well. I am lucky enough to have alot of great people in the store. I worked slowly at first. I was very afraid of hurting myself. When I got home on Monday.....and again on Tuesday, I just crashed. I couldn't move. DH made supper. On Friday and Saturday (our biggest stock days) I felt pretty good (still took it easy...no rushing or trying to out do anyone )

Well to make a long story short....I am still a little sore and achy BUT I feel so much happier. I feel human again. My surgery was great but recovery was very hard emotionally. Being home, unable to even vacume the house was hard, although I was home during the holidays I couldn't do the things I love, decorate, shop, visit, or wear my great christmas outfits. It was p.j. pants and a few christmas sweatshirts.
I may be a little weird but going back to work was very healing for me.
I will be praying for each of you as you go back. I hope it is as good for you as it has been for me.

Best Wishes, Jill

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register