Returning to work jitters? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work jitters? Returning to work jitters?

Unread 01-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Returning to work jitters?

Thanks for the reply fit and ready. Although, I thought if out on FMLA your position was protected if you returned within 3 months. Before I went out my boss assured me I would be coming back to my position. I should have had it in writing. I have never trusted her. At any rate, it is true God has a plan for all of us and lately I have been praying for a way to work part time so I could be available for my son's after school activities. Maybe doing something different could lead to a part time position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:54 AM

i googled fmla and this is what it said... Upon return from FMLA leave, an employee must be restored to the employee's original job, or to an equivalent job with equivalent pay, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment. In addition, an employee's use of FMLA leave cannot result in the loss of any employment.
The time frame is 12 weeks- or three months as you said.
Funny, im part time and it was great while my boys were in school, but am ready to be full time. With my youngest is a senior this year-it would be perfect timing, but with michigans economy i doubt that will happen anytime soon.
i go back tomorrow, as i said im a bit nervous about what im walking into- ill let you know how it turns out. keep us posted on how your job turns out too!
Unread 01-20-2008, 10:55 AM

I too go back tomarrow. I turned in a new work release slip on Jan 16th releasing me to go back on the 21st. I had this pre-arranged with one manager. When I turned it in, I talked with 2 upper level managers and the Dept Head. I was originally supposed to come back Jan 30th, and I felt up to coming back earlier and Dr said it was ok. I really should have just stayed away.
Later that day, I get a call from ANOTHER manager saying my slip needed to be changed to put me back on the 18th or 19th.
I was advised that if I did not do this they would put me back on the schedule "as needed" I usually work dayshift, and it was strongly insinuated that I would be on night shift!
It has always been the precedent to put workers back where they were, our shop is by seniority, and I have a lot.
So, I called Dr office to get another note. Then, I get another call, ok, we put you back in your regular slot.
I guess it was WW3 between the managers. I was reporting to just one,
after I was verbally attacked by a direct supervisor (prev post) for wanting to go home ill before my surgery. I had only used sick leave to go to the Dr , I had never left work or called out before because of my condition.
I dont even want to work there anymore. I dont cause trouble, I try to stay quiet, and do my job the best I can. I am really trying not to take this personally I keep telling myself I am only a pawn in a power struggle with some really evil female managers.
That is why they cannot keep people. They treat people like crap. The job is very stressfull as it it without the powers that be not being able to make up their minds what the rules are.
I am not going to door say anything, but -if this nonsense keeps happening, I dont think I can take it. I am going to start planning my transfer as soon as I feel that I am up to taking on all the changes.
The last thing I want is to go out on stress, and I feel like I am a heartbeat away.
I am staying in my pajamas today. I ran a little a couple of days ago, as I was late picking up grandson. It felt ok at the time, but later in the day was I sore.
I feel calmer now that I am finishing this post. I am so grateful for this site!
I do feel so much better physically since my surgery. I cannot believe I was working as hard as I was, sick as I was.
Trying not to feel as though I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop, and hit me in the face has really not helped, but it is nice to know I made the right choice and I will be strong and healthy again.

Good Luck to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM

I went back part-time at 5 1/2 weeks (desk job), but I would recommend waiting until 8 weeks if you have any doubt. One tip- don't wear control top panty hose!!

And remember: your recovery is the most important thing! Your coworkers, assistants and bosses will survive an extra 2-3 weeks without you, no matter what you think or what they say. YOU are what matters! Think of it this way: if an employee came to you needing surgery, you would want her to have the time she needed to recover properly, right?

I was scared to death to go back to work, and so thankful to be able to go back only part-time. I recommend easing back into work.

Best wishes!
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM

i have been struggling what to wear this week. I managed to put together some deep grey yoga type pants with a redish fitted t and a black courdery jacket for tomorrow. I kept trying things on and not wanting wear totally baggy stuff- as i didnt put weight on. Yet the swelly belly prohibits me from wearing anything to fitted.
I want to walk in - well, looking ready to come back- and belly is not co-operating!
sistersmit- i am part time - but going back because i dont get paid anymore- still im going in under the asumption i may have to go home early -if needed.
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM

trying to find decent work clothes has been a real pain for me.......I have to wear VERY loose fitting pants and have to try to find tops that go over the pants w/o showing how HUGE my belly is.....ugh!
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM

well yoga type pants worked perfectly! now to find something for tomorrow... lol.

all in all the first day back was good- cept someone took my chair and i had to go find one with good back support. once i did that i felt much better. My co-workers brought be one of those edible fruit baskets that look like flowers welcoming me back. Its still pretty up in the air whats going to happen - job wise, but found i am not alone in my worries. im a bit tired but not bad think its going to be a couch and book evening.
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM

To all the ladies that couldn't find pants to wear to work:

I bit the bullet and ordered a couple pair of black and grey pants that were one size larger and on sale. I was so sick of wearing sweat pants to the doctor, shopping, lunch, etc. When I went back to work, the "size larger" pants made it easier to deal with the swelly belly.

To all the ladies with FMLA and back-to-work issues:

If your company has more than 50 employees, you are entited to 12 weeks off work with a federal guarantee of a position if you return within 12 weeks. It doesn't mean that the employer will guarantee your old position back. Alll the employer has to do if provide a position and not reduce your wages.

To all the ladies that are wondering how long you should stay out on medical leave:

If your doctor will give you eight (8) weeks, please do so. I had the luxury of the extra time due to the severity of my endo and a TAH/BSO with the loss of a kidney due to endo.

I was by no means ready to go back at 4 or 6 weeks. Everyone heals at a different pace - if your disabilty will allow the extra time off - please take it...
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:47 PM
I never want to go back to work!

Hello ladies,
I have so much anxiety that I am having nightmares about work!
I have taught pre-school for 24 years, we don't get summers off so by the time i had my surgery i was exhausted (the bleeding 3 out of 4 weeks a month didn't help!) and needed a long break!

Before my surgery I hardly ever sat down, my friend calls me "Spin Cycle Woman!" but after all this rest I realize I need to get more of it! So the thought of going back to the spin cycle life horrifies me, plus i think I might be ready to do something else in the teaching dept!

Thanks for the reminder that I shouldn't schedule anything extra during the first couple weeks that i go back to work~Great Advise!

Anyway I feel your anxiety ladies and I hope we all work it out!
thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
Rocky Cat
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM

Yesterday was my first day back, I worked 8 hrs. I was very sore, I almost called for a ride home.
Today, it was much better, I stood up as much as possible and took the long way around so that I could stretch my legs. I also was able to lie down on the couch in the break room for about 15 min at lunch break.
I was very tired when I got home, and crashed on the couch.
It was nice to see *most* of my co-workers, and everyone for the most part has been very kind.
I guess I am going to make it.

PS Why is my face all broken out?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register