Pain meds - when to stop? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain meds - when to stop? Pain meds - when to stop?

Unread 01-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Pain meds - when to stop?

When should you stop or cut back on the pain medications? My doctor gave me two medications to take at the same time: 600mg Motrin 4 times per day and oxycodone w/apap every 6 hours. I returned home from the hospital on Wednesday, January 9th and have been taking both medications as directed (except for when I fall asleep and miss a dose.) I fall asleep a lot!

I still have pain but the oxy makes me constipated. Is there a rule of thumbs as to how long I need the oxy? the motrin?

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Hello Livewell

You're exactly right. It's as needed. You can start cutting your oxycodone in half and see how that is first. Try going for extended periods of time but not so much that the pain is out of control. Then eliminate it all together as you can. 600 mg. of motrin is the same as three advil. You can cut back to two advil, and see how you do. You can also supplement with Tylenol in between the advil. It's a science experiement, as only you know how much pain you're in, and what you're willing to tolerate. Good luck, and please share your experience with meds here so others can learn what worked for you too.

Unread 01-13-2008, 09:59 AM

I think a lot of it depends on your pain tolerance and activity level. After the first 3-4 days, I switched to motrin only during the day and saved the perscription pain med for bedtime for a few days. Then I was just taking the motrin a couple times a day. Sometimes I could go several days with just the motrin and then would need something stronger (I think because my activity level was increased). The perscription pain meds will be constipating, drink plenty of water and increase your fiber. My MIL sent me some prunes which have been helpful.

Hang in there it does get better! I am now almost 4 weeks out and only occassionaly need to take the motrin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 10:03 AM

take them as you feel if you need them ,i stopped them a day after coming home and took tylenol,,no advil they said can cause blood to thin,,thats the second time i was told that by my dentist and my gyne before surgery,,but everyone is different,,dont let the pain get real bad before taking then they take to long for relief janyce from western pa. tah/bso
Unread 01-13-2008, 11:23 AM

I don't know if there are any general guidelines. This would be a question you could ask your doctor. I had the same meds as you have, and I took them both for the first week, then I switched to just Ibuprofen, with oxycodone at night or if I was stupid and did too much. It is terribly constipating. I noticed improvement pretty quickly from just cutting back on the oxycodone... and I also tried Activa yogurt, which helped too.
Unread 01-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Everyone is different and we all heal at different rates. If you're in doubt, talk to a nurse at your doctors office, but mostly the pain meds are on an as needed basis.

My doc prescribed Percoset and Ibuprofen 800, both said as needed on the bottle. I had enough Percoset to last me 1 week from the date of my surgery. So I took them twice a day, as prescribed, and ran out on Sunday, December 23rd. She also gave me 40 of the Ibuprogen 800's. I took about half of them, but have been completely off meds for about 2 weeks, other than a regular Aleve (which is mostly for my arthritis in my knee).

If you still have pain, take you're meds. It would be silly to be in pain and not use what was given to you. If you're not in pain, then stop taking them. Again, I don't take medicine just because I have it, I take it if I need it.

If you have any doubts, call your doctor. Better safe than sorry.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register