BM after Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BM after Surgery? BM after Surgery?

Unread 01-13-2008, 01:02 PM
BM after Surgery?

When should I expect this and will it be horrific? I have been trying eat healthy with lots of fiber, drinking lots of water and I have taken 2 doses of Mirolax. Nothing yet after 2 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 01:52 PM
BM after Surgery?

Becky:

I had no BM for 8 days post-op! I finally increased my stool softener to 4 a day and took two doses of milk of magnesia. That finally seemed to work. It was not horrific because of the stool softeners.

Don't give up!
Unread 01-13-2008, 01:54 PM
BM after Surgery?

Remember, if you did a bowel prep before surgery, your system hasn't had a lot to work with, so don't be too worried about the delay. And while I know some have posted experiences of great difficulty for the first time post-surgery, it isn't always that way. I had no problems at all, although I was worried about it. The water will help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM
BM after Surgery?

2 days might be too soon. I didnt go for about 4 or 5 days. also, milk of magnesia helped me too. just dont overdo it because then you will go too much and feel sluggish.
Unread 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
BM after Surgery?

For me was 4 days after surgery. I took lots of Docusate and drank lots of water along with eating fresh veggies. I was about to send DH to store for some other miracle pill because the GasX wasn't working and the cramping was awful. ANd with the bowel prep (if you have to do one) there won't be lots in your system to get rid of so it may take longer.
Unread 01-13-2008, 03:10 PM
BM after Surgery?

Took me 8 days too and it was very normal once it happened. Was taking Laculose or something like that. Sounds like you're doing all the right things
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
BM after Surgery?

I had surgery on a Monday and then asked for a suppository on Thurs. before I went home to give things a little help.

At home I downed prune juice (my savior) and had an easy BM Sunday morning - have been regular ever since (a first since getting rid of the fibroids that liked to mess things up).

Keep doing what you're doing - this recovery thing has lots of little issues to deal with doesn't it?

Tracy
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM
BM after Surgery?

Took me 4 days and was not horrible. I did use a Ducolax suppository the day before that but did not have any cramps or gas. I bet 2 days is just too soon.
Good luck.
C
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
BM after Surgery?

I am 6 days post op. I too had toilet problems. Mind you I have not eaten a whole lot since I got home. I used suppositories and ex lax took a while but seemed to work. It may take a long time so bring a book to the toilet with you. Still not going regular and still hurts the tummy but I hear it gets better. I sure hope so.
Unread 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
BM after Surgery?

I was given a suppository on my 4th day at the hospital which worked rather quickly. I went home that day and continued to use glycerin suppositories whenever I felt like something was there! I also took metamucil once a day. My husband was a wonderful nurse with the suppositories since it was too difficult for me to reach that area with a belly swollen with an extra 25 pounds of fluid! Just be careful and don't strain...that's what hurts your incision!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register