Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008 - Page 14 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008

Unread 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008

Chelle,

I know exactly how you feel - I am the company's only bookkeeper and there is absolutely no one there to do my work for me. I did a lot in advance, and can do some work from home, but I know that my boss would love to see me back the sooner the better. I am determined however to listen to all the wonderful women here who have been stressing that we get only one chance to heal properly.
Another thing is, once you show your face at the office, that's it, everybody will assume that you are back. You know how it is, you touch one thing,and there are million others needing your immediate attention.
I will try to stay home for 4 weeks, no matter how well I will feel, just to give my body a fair chance to recover.

Please stay in touch, and take care of yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Maybe I'm nuts, but I told my office 6-8 weeks! I'm emotionally ready to go back now (surgery was on 17) but know I'm going to need all my time to recover unless I want to hurt in a few weeks and be out more. Frankly, and my boss told me this, my health is more important that my place of employment, and if I need the time off to heal, than I need to take it.

And, believe me, I'm not one for taking time off, and I HATE others doing my job. I'm already asking if I can work half days, but--and it's a strong but--I know that if I go back before my body tells me I'm ready, I'll be not only hurting myself but my job. I can't do a good job if I'm hurting.

So, if you can do work from home, and most places will let you, do it. I can't so I'm going stircrazy, but if you can....Talk openly with your doctor. And the women here. It's hard for some of us to let go of the control, but maybe we need to sometimes.
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Take the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbwd
Hello,
I am new here. Just joined today. I had TAH,BURCH Jan 16th. 16 staples accross the abdomen, ouch. I am feeling OK but I am not getting any sleep. I can't get comfortable at night. I switched from hydracodone to Ibuprifin and Tylenol on Monday because I told My office I would try to come in for a couple of hours on Friday(tomorrow) to get cought up on some paperwork no one else seems to know how to do but me. From last Friday until today I have had at least 1 or 2 calls a day from work with someone needing an answer about something. It makes me feel needed but yet stresses me out too. I have an office but alot of my paper work has to be done at my desk on the production floor. My fear about that is slipping and falling. I don't think I can go in Friday so I am going to call them and tell them that I need to give myself a few more days. Truth be known I don't think I'll be ready then either.
Thanks for listening.
Just wanted to talk to people who know how I feel.
Chelle.
Chelle, if you haven't already, perhaps you should ask your doctor for a safe timeframe for working. Remember, it's not just working, it's getting up, getting dressed, driving to and from, then walking whatever distance from your car, and then the work - not even mentioning the stress. Also, stairs are our worst enemy, especially in this initial recovery stage. Your surgery sounds very externally extensive, so you really need to be careful. Tell them how long you'll be out -- it's okay to make your doctor the bad guy. It takes it off you, and this is not your fault! Standard recovery for any of these procedures, although many of us start to feel better before, is 4-6 weeks and sometimes it's even more for those with extensive abdominal work like you've had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM

"Tell them how long you'll be out -- it's okay to make your doctor the bad guy. It takes it off you, and this is not your fault! "

Amen sister! Chelle, you shouldn't ever be required to go back unless released by your doctor. And, no dr. in their right mind would release you to go back that early! It's against all kinds of human resource rules and regulations. They won't even let me step into the building without a note from the dr, even to get stuff from my desk! If something happens, or you get hurt further, they are liable.
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
I am so glad I am not alone

I am so glad to know that I am not the only person experiencing some of the post op issues. I thought that I was alone, and that maybe my Dr had done something wrong. I joined the club after my surgery which was on Jan 15th 2008. Hospital time was fine, the first week at home has been fine up until three days ago. Severe pain when I urinate, not to mention the CONSTIPATION. I am so clueless on what to eat. Please HELP
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:53 PM

Chelle, please do not over do it. I am the same way with my job, in fact I was told today to get off the computer and start taking care of my body. I suggest that you let the paperwork be there. Stressing only delays the healing so I am told
Unread 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks, everyone

Hey everybody,
Thank you all for all your advice. I don't feel near as alone now as I did, so now I have a question. Are any of you having the trouble of sleeping at night and not being able to get comfortable in your own bed? I can't seem to keep my legs still & I am so weapy and teary eyed over the silliest things like my husband wanting to do everything for me, that makes me cry, or even if someone simply smiles at me I will tear up & lets not even mention what will make me tear up off the TV. I am happy I had the surgery and I don't feel depressed but it verges on ridiculous what tips my emotions. I still have my overies so I don't think it's hormones. Has anybody had this problem and what did you do about it?
Thanks,
Chelle.
Unread 01-24-2008, 06:50 PM

DH finally got tired of me begging him for an outing today. *grin*
We went to run a couple of quick errands to the car dealership and to the library to return some books. He took me out to lunch for Greek food...YUM!
I was completely exhausted after we got home, and also felt a headache coming on. Thought it was a caffiene headache because I hadn't had any coffee this morning...but no, instead it turned out to be a full blown true blue MIGRANE. This is both a good thing and a bad thing....It's a good thing becacuse this is confirmation to me that my ovaries have recovered from the surgery and they are working fine. ((My migranes are hormonally triggered, and fed by the spikes in estrogen right before my monthly cycle....so I'm still 'on a cycle' I'd be starting my period around this time if I still had a uterus. *grin*))
Bad thing because they hurt so dang bad!!! I took a long nap this afternoon, and also some of my migrane meds to fight it. I feel better now, but I'm almost 100% certain that I will be able to sleep tonight, all night. I'm still feeling a little fatigued from my outing. :-) It felt SOOOO good to get outta the house this afternoon!!! Fresh air and sunshine can't be beat. Not to mention spending the day with my favorite person in this world. I'm blessed that he's still putting up with me. *grin*

Paula (afsgtyfe)
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Thank you Suzanne, Carot27, Sheila and Susan for sharing your suggestions.experience and advice. Carot27 you were exactly right about pain, I'm now taking two tylenol and 3 ibuprophen every six hours. What a relief. Suzanne and Sheila, thanks for the assistance in coming to terms with yes, no matter how committed I am to my work, I must be healthy first.

Susan, thank you for sharing that we are in the same boat. It is a great help to hear someone else had the same expectations as I did about getting back to work. Doc said, a week to two weeks, well I thought one week then no problem. The last thing I want to do is inconvenience any one at work or any clients, I am an accountant/consultant.

I have been working from home remotely since four days after surgery. I feel so stupid for putty my work above my health. Today I took the day off from that, what a relief that was too.

This whole experience is making me really learn that I cannot possibly be supermom, super wife and super employee and still be healthy. There are only so many things I can do at a time and I have to take care of myself 1st. What a cliche'. Other then having three kids I've always been healthy and taken on responsibility for as much as possible.

The dishwasher is full of clean dishes, the sink is full of dirty dishes and the litter box needs to be changed, but it is more important for me to rest.

I made big promises about post surgery work availability, especially because of tax season, but I'm going to apologize and put my health above my work.

Thanks ladies, you are terrific. Susan, please do what you can to put your health first!!

Lisa 1/16 LSH, kept ovaries and cervix, heavy bleeding, clots, fibroids,
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM

So I decided to call my DR today and ask all my questions I already had answers for LOL, pain while urinating, I keep smelling something I did not like ect... so my DR nurse said if I wanted I could come in for a test to see if I had a uti but it would probably come back negative then she asked are you taking your pain meds I said I cut them back I was tired of sleeping I have no insomnia problems like others. She told me I needed to get ahead of the pain again it was not time to cut back and I was overdoing it hence the spotting getting worse. So my DD is picking up a refill on my meds and back to no pain and back to bed for me! She said if after next week I am still feeling the pain then it was time to visit the DR. I did get a visit from my favorite person in the world today my DGD 3 years old who told me is it time for your medicine, do you need ice Nanna. She calls herself DR Alexis! When it was time for her to leave she picked up her play phone and said it was the Dr I took the phone and told him I was fine but Dr Alexis needed to go home with her Mommy and Pappa would take over. She walked away pretended to have a conversation with my DR then turned tome and said Dr J said I had to stay here it brought me to tears laughing so hard but I took my medication put the ice on my tummy and got lots of kisses and finally she left with her Mommy. But all my Dh could say was I told you you were over doing it now go lay down like Alexis said. I have 5 more weeks at home I don't know how much more of this I can take! So that is my update for now and it is time to go back to bed and follow Dr's orders even if it is a 3 year old DR!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register