Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 14-Jan 21,2008

My surgery was on Monday. Everything went well - dont even remember leaving the pre-op area and next thing I know I'm in my room! Some pain - kept hitting my pump Slacked off the pump the next day because it was making me itchy and had a reaction to Benadryl? Up and walking Tuesday - would have been easier had they taken the pump off my IV cuz having to lug all that to the numerous trips to the bathroom was no easy task! Came home Wednesday. Didnt each too much & tried not to take any pain medicine just Advil. Moved around alot, drank water, ate fruit & took gas x. Friday was a little rough! Trying to have bm - OMG - would have rather been cut back open and have more organs removed! My husband got me stool softener (which I forgot to get before going in) and it has made a tremendous difference. Get my staples out tomorrow. Only thing bothering me now is if I made the right decision by leaving my left ovary and cervix??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Thank God! Thank God!

I am home from the castle and it really was not as bad as I feared it to be! I ended up with a standard LAVH and BSO and I am not sure of all the doctor found but I knew there was a big ole fibroid dealing me hell..I cannot tell you how comforting this website and all of you have been, knowing you all would be here waiting for me when I got home! God Bless you all...
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:17 AM

I had a rough one last night. I was feeling generally icky from early last evening, with a horrible headache, upset tummy and diahrrea. Felt a little like I had a little of a flu bug or something. Woke up at 5:00 this morning absolutely shivering. Took my temp and it was at 100.8. Dr told me I was to call if it ever got over 100.5. I decided to pop an 800 mg ibuprophen and see if that would help. Woke up again at around 8:00 this morning in a total pool of sweat. Temp down to 99.0. But I still have that general feeling of ickiness. I've got an appointment to get staples removed tomorrow, so I'll make sure I let the Dr know what happened. I really think I caught a flu bug or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Day 5 - it all gets better with time

Wow! What a difference today has made!
I slept all night last night and feel a whole lot better today. The general fogginess/ickiness/dizziness seems to have lifted this morning. I took my percoset in halves yesterday, but had two halves within an hour of going to bed last night. This morning, all I've had is two or three advil. That's not to say I won't need more later today, but have a generally good feeling like I haven't had so far.
Plus, my gas appears to be greatly diminished this morning. It's not all gone, but I don't feel as swollen this morning as I have. My belly button incision is a little itchy, and that's what was bothering me last night.
Hope you are all experiencing improvement today. If you're not, hold on, because it does get better with time. It gives me hope that in another week I'll feel even more normal.
Thanks to all of you who helped me with expectations. I think that's what a lot of this is about: having reasonable expectations and managing those throughout the process.
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:43 AM

I have cabin fever so badly. It has rained and been icky the whole week since I've been home. I'm putting on the shoes and going for a walk after lunch. I may only make it to the end of the driveway but I'm ready to get out of the house.

I live near the Atlantic on the coast of North Carolina and we usually have beautiful weather year round but this has been our week of ugly weather. Glad that it is over.

I am feeling great. I am sleeping well and just seem to have a not as great time in the early evening. I guess by then, I'm tired of being in my lounge chair and bored with the awful television.

Looking forward to getting out of the house a bit this week.

Kay
Unread 01-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Yea ! I AM HOME !

It's finally over and I am home. The waiting and being so nervous was really the hardest part. I so almost chickened out a few times.I had my TAH/BSO on Thursday Jan 17th. I called the hospital the night before trying to postpone... so nervous. When I got there they gave me a strong nerve pill. it kind of made me sleep. nmext thing I knew it was 9 a.m. and they came to get me.. still tried to get out of it...lol
I told them it wasn';t time yet. They let my family walk down the hall to a waiting type area and that's where they had to wait while we went in doors. I could see a bright room at the end of the hall but never saw inside it. I kind of remember getting on another table and I might have been asked to put a mask on but that's all I remmber till I got back to my room.
The recovery room was bad from what I heard and I suspect that they gave me an amnesia type shot for that because I don't remmeber anything. My doc says the nurses were mad at me and yelling at me as I was swearing and cussing them out. He said he explained to them that I was in unbearable pain. The nurses on my floor were even talking about it < embarrassed...lol>
I was a good patient on my floor.
He ended up using a pain pump with a numbing agent attached to my incision and it's still there. He has never used one before and the nurses on my floor said it's only the 2nd time they have seen one. I also had the demerol watch. All day on Thursday I remmeber pushing it and then sleeping. The sleeping seemed to be a good sleep but would only be about 10 minutes when I looked at the clock.
I started oral meds yesterday and am pretty comfortable.
A little soreness and swelling today.
Last night the nurse gave me a suppositry which got thing moving in there and I have had diarrhea and gas.
Eating good and tolerating it fine.. all in all I am glad it's over!
P.S.
The doc said the mass was benign and I had no signs of cancer. Total relief!
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:35 PM

DH brought me home from my parents last night. I told him no bm yet. He told me if I did not poop by Monday, he was calling the Dr. So of course I pooped when I got home. LOL DH thinks he scared the sh** out of me! Thanks to this site I've been taking stool softener each night, eating light healthy meals, taking Gas-X (which my pre-op nurse said would not be needed since the gas was not gastro-intestinal (HA!)). I'm feeling pretty good, probably over doing a bit. Percoset at night (I'm going to half pill tonight) with advil during the day as needed.
It's cold and rainy here in Florida, too Kay, but a couple of short walks with an umbrella work for getting fresh air. It helps healing!
Blessings to all and continued good healing.
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Well, I came home from the castle last night...Could not stay another day with all the racket. I am still a little groggy and feel really strange. Kinda empty LOL..... I guess that's how you feel when they take all but on ovary and sew you together. Just a little pain, but keeping up with the pain meds like I have been told. Kids and Hubby finally left to go somewhere Awww Quiet.
I wish they weren't out on a holiday tomorrow. I guess full recovery will have to wait until Tuesday. Doctor said yesterday he will not be releasing me until week 6. I had told work I would try to be back at week 5. He says no.... Guess I have to get around to telling my boss... I give it a week or so. Everyone at work sent flowers. I feel so special there are flowers all over my bedroom and people from church and work have set up to bring dinner every night for the the next 2 weeks with my husband... My parents stocked the fridge and left money for any needs.... WOW I did not know that this would happen. Isn't God great :GRIN:
Well, I need to go lay back down... Just thought i would say hi
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:59 PM

Hello!
Came home from the castle today-surgery went good, but I am dealing with alot of pain - Doc says this is normal, but I can hardly stand up straight.I have no problem walking around alittle, but the pain!!Dh & kids are great - cleaning and waiting on me!!God is great, but I need to have a little talk with him about this pain!!
Other than that, all is grand here....it's over and I can begin living my life again!!! YIPEE!!!
Take care all!
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:51 PM

Had TAH on 1/15/08 and have been home since 1/17/08. Am doing pretty good pain wise. I am taking a Motrin 800mg in the morning with one Lortab and then I usually do ok with not taking anything else until bedtime at which time I take another Motrin and one Lortab. I feel pretty good in the am but as the day goes on and nighttime comes, I have more burning and stinging in my incision. I have been taking regular food without any nausea and am passing gas ok but no bm yet! This worries me because I had painful bm's prior to surgery with constipation issues. I have been taking Miralax 1 capful with juice once a day and also taking colace but no luck yet. Anytime I feel I may have luck and I try to push to have a bm, my abdomen hurts and nothing happens. Any words of advice from anyone? I have been eating plenty of grapefruit, oranges, prunes and green beans. Any other suggestions? Otherwise doing ok. Found endometriosis on cervix, uterus and he said on either the wall of the bladder or the vagina (I will still under the influence of Morphine) but will clarify that. I plan on getting a copy of my surgical report and my path report because being a nurse, I will understand the lingo and would like to know exactly what was seen and found. I hope all is going well for all others who have had this surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register