four months and still pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

four months and still pain four months and still pain

Unread 01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
four months and still pain

well, here i am, four months out, and my vaginal cuff area is getting sorer not betterer ! ! sex started out fine, but, nowadays, causes more pain, especially with full penetration??? what's going on?? the gyno told me that my cuff had scar tissue on it, at the 6 week check, and that it should soften up after time. i had a feel myself that night after she told me that, and i thought it felt a bit lumpy and gross ! ! eeeuuuwww....... and........since then, i have a feel every now and then, and rather think that it's getting lumpier and more scar tissue??? i don't normallly scar much, so find it strange??? anyway, have an appointment at the gyno to get it checked, but can't get in for another month ! ! meantime, i'm just not sure about it???? any suggestions sisters??? thanks in advance.........gee.

ps still get some bladder spasms when the cuff area is aggravated as well? also, if i stretch in the morning, with arms above my head, it sends a shooting pain down my vag area, and through to my urethra ! ! now, that is strange???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Gen, I too am 4 months post op and had everything removed. Sex is impossible! After the last try, i started staining. Went to the surgeon who said the vaginal cuff was healing unevenly. He cauterized it and said in about two week I could start sex, but to use Astroglide Lubication. Wed. it is two weeks, and I am so scared to try again. The pain was horrible, and I don't mean to be so pessimestic but I think the pain will be there again.
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:58 AM

hey carol,

sorry to hear that you too are having probs. i went to my gp yesterday, and had my urine checked, even though i was certain there didn't seem to be any signs of infection (no frequency, burning, colour fine etc), but to be sure to be sure......and, sure enough, it was fine. anyway, she rather thought that the gyno might cauterise the scar tissue, probably with silver nitrate, to remove the lumpiness, and that with time it will soften, and the nerve damage will resolve. she was predicting 12 months ! ! ! groan. the lubricant i use is Sylk, which is all natural, no petrochemicals etc, but, makes no difference to the bumping against the scar effect etc. anyway, thus far, i'm not exactly impressed with this whole hysterectomy thing ! ! certainly not the amazing thing everyone promised me beforehand ! ! hmmm.......gee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM

Gen, I had to laugh when you said, that this hysterectomy was not the amazing thing everyone promised. I too received that promise. I had huge fibroids, enlarged (18 wk) uterus and started bleeding after being in menopause for 1 1/2 yr. Yes, the Dr. cauterised me. He didn't mention the silver nitrate, but I am sure that is what he did. The man doesn't talk much. He said to go to my regular gyno if I still have pain. I had lots of staining after our last attempt. Did you have staining also? I think we will recover, but I think it will be a year or more.
Unread 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Hi ladies I am new here so please forgive if I post imperfectly to custom. Was it your surgeons who admitted you were scarring unevenly or scarring too much, or your gynies?

I ask because my surgeon insists that my vaginal opening is fine and dandy even though it feels very small and lumpy to me too, and now that I have passed the 6 week mark she wants me to take follow up issues to my gynie, but I have to find a new one as my previous gyn was against the surgery I had; we parted ways over this (he had some personal issues about elective organ loss but he wasn't the one without bladder control or with a cervix sticking out of his vagina). Sex is now impossible and I feel like I have no place to turn.

How did you get your doctors to listen and to help you?
Unread 01-15-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
thus far, i'm not exactly impressed with this whole hysterectomy thing ! ! certainly not the amazing thing everyone promised me beforehand ! ! hmmm.......gee.
Ditto! I keep waiting for the time when I'll feel like a "new woman." So far, I feel like about half the old woman. I don't regret it, but I'm also not jumping up and down and doing cartwheels.

Quote:
well, here i am, four months out, and my vaginal cuff area is getting sorer not betterer !
Ditto! Only I'm just over 2 months out, so I'm still debating whether this will get better or whether to make an appointment after another couple of weeks. I never had a follow-up after 4 weeks, so who knows what all is going on down there.

Quote:
i went to my gp yesterday, and had my urine checked, even though i was certain there didn't seem to be any signs of infection (no frequency, burning, colour fine etc), but to be sure to be sure......and, sure enough, it was fine.
Same here. No infection.

My GYN doctor was my surgeon, so I guess he's going to be the one who hears from me.
Unread 01-15-2008, 06:56 PM

I am totally not impressed at this time either. It still hurts for me to have sex. I want to feel like a new woman but my goodness when will this be if ever. I aslo hurt right below my belly but above my hairline is this where they sewed me up? I know may sound stupid but I really dont know. I always feel real achey in this area. I just want to get better.
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Not to worry ladies, it will get better -- I had my TAH 7 months ago and there are still times when I doubt the "new me will aprear" but I have faith.

I also had pain when I resumed having sex. I used "wet" as a lub and also found that when was on top it helped. I was able to judge how far, be patient. It does take time.
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:44 PM

I'm having issues right now that are probably not related to the cuff...but
at 3 months I had some symptoms I thought were the cuff.
I called a gyno who is a friend, (he did not do the surgery) just to pick his brain. He asked if I had pain with full penetration, and if I did, he explained it like this:
Sometimes, depending on how the cuff is sewn, you may get bungled scar tissue (can't see it from the vagina - it is on the other side of it) that tethers with your rectum or nerves (possibly bladder too?). In this case he would recommend to "knock down" the scar tissue. Or, it may have been sewn too tight (the apex to the uterosacral ligaments?). With stretching you would feel it. Those were the 2 possibilities. Since scar tissue forms/reforms over a 1 yr. period, I would wait at least that long before doing anything. Some sisters found that physical therapy helps with this as well.
Sorry you are not 100% yet. I also have other issues at 4 months post op.
We have to be patient over the year I guess, but do keep going for other opinions to rule out everything.
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Wow may13, that really made some sense to me THANK YOU!!! My problem isn't with dryness or full penetration - the opening is just plain too darn small and there is no real penetration. My vaginal opening isn't stretching, it is ripping. I got a mirror out tonight and took a look and sure enough, there are little bloody tears down there around the opening and periamum, and that's why the extreme soreness and swelling after our last failed attempt at sex.

If your GYN friend recommends patience, and if it can be repaired or fixed once the healing / scarring from initial surgery is done, then I take a lot of comfort in that. I was panicking thinking that if it wasn't fixed right away I might be like this forever, and I am only in my forties and not at all ready to say goodbye to sex or my hubs.

I am also terrified of tearing myself up and undoing what the surgeon did to help me. I was pretty much housebound and had to quit working outside the home (still work from home via computer) because of uterine prolapse, bladder prolapse, extreme urinary incontinence, recticele, and polycystic ovaries. I am so looking forward to rejoining the human race after 7 years of being utterly isolated; I am scared to death of having sex and destroying my body again and having to go back to wearing depends just to get through a half hour of marketing. I honestly think I'd rather just get a divorce than have that happen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register