Many fibroids and many alternatives which way to go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Many fibroids and many alternatives which way to go Many fibroids and many alternatives which way to go

Unread 01-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Many fibroids and many alternatives which way to go

I have 5 fiboids ranging from 2 to 7 cm which are causing pelvic pain, bladder problems and heavy bleeding. My uterus is very enlarged (14 to 16 weeks). Two physicians have suggested hysterectomies with no other alternatives because of the size of the fibroids. I have read many of the post op concerns and can not decide which way to turn.

I feel bloated, uncomfortable and frustrated. I'm not the type to let anything get me down and this is really starting to get to me.

It's very scary reading the reading some of the post op threads.

Any advice?

Thank you. :confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2008, 06:21 PM

You sound like me 4 1/2 years ago--symptoms and all!

I had 3 opinions prior to my surgery in December 2004...two recommended hysterectomy and the second one said an abdominal myomectomy would be my only other option, given the number (13) and sizes of the fibroids (mine ranged from marble-size to racquetball size). The third doctor gave me more options, including removing the fibroids laparascopically.
According to doctor #3, it is definitely possible to remove large fibroids laparascopically if the surgeon has been trained to use a morcellator (which chops up the fibroids into small pieces) ...and unfortunately, not many have had such training.

I chose to have my surgery done by the third doctor and have been very pleased with the results and the fast recovery (just a couple of weeks).
My "swelly-belly" went away within a month. And I can barely see my 4 incision scars. In fact, only one is visible now.

I also had a hysteroscopic resection for the submucosal fibroids. I was told I have 2 tiny fibroids (smaller than 1 mm each) remaining within the wall of my uterus which the doctor could not get to unless he'd done abdominal surgery.

I'm so happy to have gone this route rather than hysterectomy.

Here's a link to a website that was most helpful to me:
http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com..._myomectomy.htm

I hope this helps!

Kittycats
Unread 01-15-2008, 05:39 AM

Thank you so much for your information. I will definetely speak with my doctor about that option. What is a hysteroscopic resection and how long does that procedure take?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi SEM!

I don't know if you tried the link I sent but I just discovered that it doesn't work. So sorry about that!

This one should:

http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/...myomectomy.htm

A hysterocopic resection is described in this segment. Because it is considered an out-patient procedure, your"downtime" is pretty minimal.

I had both the lapascopic and hysteroscopic myomectomies at the same time. Because the laparascopic surgery was more invasive and my teeny tiny insisions hurt a good bit (especially when I sneezed or laughed), I didn't really feel any pain nor discomfort related to the hysteroscopic procedure.

I spent several hours in the hospital (mostly because I was queasy from the anesthesia). My husband took me home and put me to bed. But I was up and about after a good long nap.

Hopefully the link to the website above will help to clearly explain the procedure and answer any questions.

All the best to you!

Kittycats
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Hi SEM,

What type of hysts did your Drs recommend??

You might want to check to see if you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a TVH, a LAVH or a LSH, the surgery type I had.

Go to the *Hysterectomy Checkpoints* link at the top of the web site. When on the link, go to the *Pre-op* area and it goes over the different types of hysts and questions to ask your Dr. in pre-op.

I got two opinions myself. My 1st Dr. recommended an abdominal hyst due to the size of my fibroids. I cried for three days after the news. I had never had any gyneo problems and I had never had a surgery.

I then decided to get a 2nd opinion. He recommended a LSH, a laparoscopic hyst after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for the less invasive hyst. I had my hyst four years ago now and lately I am seeing more Hyster Sisters with larger fibroids than I had at the time of my hyst ...and they are having laparoscopic and less invasive hysts.

In the meantime...you might check out lupron. It does causes temporary chemical menopause and it helps to reduce the size of fibroids. Lupron is not for everyone...and in my case it was a success. I am very pleased still with my LSH results.

In pre-op, my two Drs. went over a myomectomy with me. Sadly...in my case, they both felt my fibroids would grow back after a myomectomy. I was 46 at the time I was diagnosed with fibroids and I decided a hyst was my best route since I did not want more children and I wanted only one surgery.

In the end...do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM

the best thing you can do is get a second or third opinion, do lots of research, see if you are eligable for the least invasive type of hysterecomy, discuss keeping/removing your ovaries and what your drs thoughts are on that, etc. the most important thing is dont do anything that you are uncomfortable with...if you dont feel you are getting the answers you want from one dr, go to another.
i had an lsh last year..kept my cervix and ovaries. i feel fantastic and am so happy i got a second opinion and knew what type of hysterectomy i wanted to have and that i did not want my cervix or ovaries removed. the first dr i went to wanted to remove everything because of my age (44)...not for medical reasons.
good luck..take your time and research your options
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:33 PM

I agree with all the above.

I chose a LSH because I did not want the fibroids to grow back and there is a good chance that they can and will.

I was not going to have more children and I was having severe bleeding, clotting and flooding. My quality of life had been hugely impacted by my periods, not to mention my hubby's.

I am 5 days post op from my LSH, the fibroids were as large as a softball, with a baseball, a couple golf balls and a lemon also in there. All were removed within an hour, using three tiny incisions.

I'm so relieved, my bladder is so FREE in there now, all I am waiting for is my first BM.

This has been the best thing I've ever done for my quality of life. No more bleeding! YIPPEE!

I definitely would talk to as many docs and sisters here as possible. Find the right solution for you. The options for fibroids are broad. You will be happy in the end.

Peace and Love,
Brinks
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:50 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. Looks like I have some research to do in order to make the best decision. I too have never had a surgery and want to avoid a TAH if at all possible. Some of the information I have read regarding life after a TAH has me scared to death. I have looked in to focused ultrasound, but I am not covered by my insurance.

Thanks again!
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM

Hi Sem,

My story...I was in an ob/gyn practice with 2 male MD's. I was in this practice for years and years. As I aged, I too got fibroids. However, I had several ovarian cysts on my right ovary. I had these cysts since I was like 18 yo, and I am now 44 yo. Unfortunately, the cysts ulcerated causing me tremendous pain. My 2 dr's told me to "ignore the pain" and get on with life. Since I began menstruating, I had endomitriosis. Again, I was told to "ignore the pain" and get on with life. Right.

Well, since I was about 36/37 yo I started bleeding and having pain (before, during, and after my period). Then I would have blood clots come out of me the size of mini basketballs. I was sitting on 4 or 5 beach towels during my monthly, and changing clothes constantly. My dh and I would even schedule trips around my period. It was getting that bad.

Then...I had problems walking, and just doing my routine things like housework. My energy level was zapped. My quality of life was down the tubes.

I went every year for ultrasounds, and had 2 D&C's, but no relief in sight. Just the same results. So, I started to question my 2 MD's about having a hysterectomy. They were against it because of my age. That was it. I was on my own. There was just no way I could even go to work during my monthly. It was just that bad. My previous dr's have no concept of what it is to be an hourly employee, and having to miss work each month because of something natural, but I did. They even refused to write my employer a note stating that I have a problem period, and need to work a flex schedule (which would have been accepted).

It was a struggle to find a gyn who would take my insurance, and help me. I went through a nightmare in finding someone decent. Trust me. But I did. I went for the first time to a female gyn. She did the same tests as my prior gyn's did, and then some. She seemed to totally understand the pain and the bleeding issues I was having. After my first visit with her, she scheduled me for a hysterectomy. She even said without having the surgery, there was no way I could ever have a pain free life. My fibroids...she stopped counting them at 10, and when the biopsy report came back...they had 48 in grand total. No wonder I was in pain.

I did have the TAH/BSO and a Vaginal Cuff done. It was the best thing I ever could have done for myself. I am overweight which I know is not good for me, but recovering and living a pain free life now...it is such a blessing. I am just so very sorry for women who have dr's who are against surgery for whatever reason/logic there is behind it. I am sorry I couldn't have had it sooner than later.

I wish you only inner peace, and luck with your decision. You know what you have to do.

God bless you.

Blessings all around.
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:52 AM

I'm 5 weeks out from my LSH and it's great to have my life back. I felt I was lucky to have a dr who thought a hysterectomy was the best option. I didn't really have pain, but it was getting difficult to have a normal life with the bleeding. I had fibroids, but didn't even ask about the size or number.

I've been able to sleep through the night for the past two nights. So much better than all the bladder pressure that made me get up a couple of times a night. I'm looking foward to being more rested, once my system realizes I don't have to wake up so often. With being tired, and always looking for a restroom, I was feeling as old as my parents. With the surgery, now I can feel young again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register