Urodynamic at DR's visit tomorrow..info please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urodynamic at DR's visit tomorrow..info please! Urodynamic at DR's visit tomorrow..info please!

Unread 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Urodynamic at DR's visit tomorrow..info please!

I am seeing the uro/gyn tomorrow for the stress incontinance to see what she will/can do about it. My GYN that is doing the hyster doesn't do that part.

I wasn't told much about what she might do or what to expect except for having a full bladder.

Can anyone help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2008, 09:31 AM

It's not bad. I expected the worse. Just a bit humiliating!!!! With my testing...they have this special table/chair thingy. Kinda makes ya feel that you will be getting hooked up for lethal injections in the vaginal area But.... with my testing, I had a catheter inserted along with two other small tube things and then some probe things (they don't hurt) placed on each side of the anal area. Then, my bladder was filled by a bag of saline. The nurse kept asking if I felt full. Then she would have me cough at different intervals. The worse part was the numbing stuff they put on that stung a bit but not unbearble. Then......Hold on to your britches........then.....with all that stuff up inside ya...they want ya to pee. I couldn't...so they removed the catherter and other probes. It took a bit but finally went. I had heard horror stories that the nurse/doc stays in the room while you try to go but mine left. She told me afterwards that she knew when I went that she could moniter it on the computer from her office.
I guess there are other things more humilating......dont worry too much about the tests.....It shouldn't hurt one bit.
My doc. was able to tell immediately what all I needed to have repaired after this test. Good luck...hugs/prayers coming your way.
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM

I think I need some Xanax!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Stress Incontinence

I had a TVT (Tension-free Vaginal Taping) done last year for stress incontinence. The test is not bad. It certainly sounds awful but the woman who performed the procedure on me was very understanding and made it as unembarrassing as possible.

Try to relax and not worry. If you are worried or embarrassed, say so. They understand. Remember, you are not the only one who went throught it and they are there to help you.

The fact that I have not had a single episode of incontinence since my surgery is more than worth it. I would go through it again any day for these results!
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:53 AM

I am worried that I go through all this and she says well it is not bad enough to justify fixing it!! TMI-- it's not like it is rivers of it but when I sneeze, cough it is enough to make me need to change my clothes. I have been using pads for months now for the little bit of leakage when bending and for the sneezing and coughs!
Unread 01-16-2008, 11:24 AM

I had a urodynamics test before my vaginal hyst, tvt, rectocele repair. The urodynamics was not painful to me at all. It was just awkward being in that position. It is only a little more embarrassing than a papsmear, but remember the doctors and nurses see that stuff all the time, so to them it's just another day at the office.

I had never heard of a urodynamics test before so I was nervous, but the nurse told me what she was doing as she did it. It was a weird sensation to have your bladder filled from the outside and having puffs of air blown into your urethra. I didn't have to relieve my bladder on my own. When the test was over, the nurse put in a cathater and drained it. I held an entire IV bag of fluid and I don't think I could have gotten off the table with my bladder that full.

Just be calm and know that the test doesn't take that long. It's just never fun to have doctors poking around on you.

I only leaked a little urine when I coughed and sneezed, but my doctor said that was unnecessary and he would fix it when he did the hysterectomy.

It's a week since my surgery. The swelling goes down everyday. I feel wonderful. I can't wait to test out my new body.
Unread 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi,

I had a bladder sling done with my TVH. The testing I guess wasn't so bad, except my doc does not believe in numbing the area before putting the little cath and tubes in, so it was fairly uncomfortable for me. Also, the first time or two trying to urinate after they were done was a bit 'stingy'.
My SUI wasn't bad, just enough to wet myself a bit when sneezing, coughing, etc. Doesn't even sound as bad as yours. But it had been occuring off and on for several years, documented in my chart. Also, my doc told me that once you start messing around down there (i.e.- hyst) it can cause bladder problems. SOOO... if you are already having issues with that, then they remove your uterus without doing anything to the bladder, it can make it worse. We went ahead and did both procedures at the same time, and I have not had any leaks in my 3 months since surgery. Very glad I had it taken care of!
But back to the testing... my3yorkies, great image of the chair! LOL But it really isn't that bad once the cath is in. The solution they fill you up with was room temp, so it felt cold to me, but that may have just been my docs office. Both he and the nurse were very kind, they ask you to cough, push a little, etc., and ya, then pee. They had a special 'potty chair' with a funnel that I had to go in, and it calibrated how much I still had to void, etc. Really, it's over before you know it.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
Unread 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks so much for all the info I appreciate it. How long did your appointment last? Is this something that usually takes 10 min or and hour?

Thanks again.
Unread 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM

I was at the docs for about 45 minutes, but I had several more questions regarding my surgery that he sat down and answered for me as well.
Good luck!
Unread 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Mine was about an hour, but that was because I was so nervous and they had to go slowly and baby me along. It should only be 20-30 minutes or so.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register